Please note the following:
Most new DVDs are very popular! But don't be discouraged. If you place a hold on a dvd that we own, you will get it before patrons from other libraries.
To place a hold on one of these dvds, just click on the title or the cover art. This will bring you to the catalog record for that film and you can then place your hold.
Also note: Most of our feature film dvds are widescreen editions. If you prefer full screen, you will need to go to a different record in the catalog. But remember, you only get first preference (over patrons from other libraries) on Norfolk dvds.
(Plot synopses and cast lists courtesy of Metacritic.com unless otherwise noted.)
Available August 5th
- Starring: Jai Courtney, Kate Winslet, Shailene Woodley,Theo James
- In a world where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues, Tris Prior is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction leader to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust in the mysterious Four and together they must find out what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Dakota Johnson, Dominic Cooper, Imogen Poots, Michael Keaton, Rami Malek, Ramon Rodriguez
- Framed for a crime he didn't commit, muscle car mechanic and street racer Tobey Marshall (Aaron Paul) gets out of prison determined to get revenge on the man responsible for his false conviction.
- Starring: Brenton Thwaites, Karen Gillan, Katee Sackhoff
- Ten years ago, tragedy struck the Russell family, leaving the lives of teenage siblings Tim and Kaylie forever changed when Tim was convicted of the brutal murder of their parents. Now in his 20s, Tim is newly released from protective custody and only wants to move on with his life; but Kaylie, still haunted by that fateful night, is convinced her parents’ deaths were caused by something else altogether: a malevolent supernatural force—unleashed through the Lasser Glass, an antique mirror in their childhood home. Determined to prove Tim’s innocence, Kaylie tracks down the mirror, only to learn similar deaths have befallen previous owners over the past century. With the mysterious entity now back in their hands, Tim and Kaylie soon find their hold on reality shattered by terrifying hallucinations, and realize, too late, that their childhood
nightmare is beginning again.
- Starring: Amy Sedaris, John Hannah, Judah Friedlander,ea Thompson, Marcello Conte, Susan Sarandon
- The year is 1985. Rad Miracle is a shy 13-year-old white kid who’s obsessed with two things: ping pong and hip hop. During his family’s annual summer vacation to Ocean City, Maryland, Rad makes a new best friend, experiences his first real crush, becomes the target of rich local bullies, and finds an unexpected mentor in his outcast next-door neighbor. Ping Pong Summer is about that time in your life when you’re treated like an alien by everyone around you, even though you know deep down you’re as funky fresh as it gets.
Available August 12th
- Starring: Amy Ryan, Felicity Jones, Guy Pearce,Mackenzie Davis, Matthew Daddario
- When a foreign exchange student arrives in a small upstate New York town, she challenges the dynamics of her host family's relationships and alters their lives forever.
Detective Sergeant Bruce Robertson (James McAvoy) wants a promotion. He is clearly the best man for the job—the rest of his colleagues are just idiots. Annoyingly, there's been a murder and Bruce's boss wants results. No problem for Bruce. He's in control, and when he solves the case and wins the promotion, his wife will return to him. No problem, right?
- Starring: Guy Pearce, Hailee Steinfeld, Kristen Wiig, Nick Nolte
- Johanna Parry (Kristen Wiig), a quiet caregiver, starts a new job working for an elderly Mr. McCauley (Nick Nolte) and his teenage granddaughter Sabitha (Hailee Steinfeld). A cruel trick by Sabitha lands Johanna in an awkward one-way relationship with Ken (Guy Pearce), Sabitha's estranged father but her newfound ambition and desire gives her courage to transform her awkward doom into real contentment.
- Starring: Tom Hardy
- Ivan Locke has worked hard to craft a good life for himself. With one phone call, that life will collapse around him.
- Starring: Eric Jacobson, Ricky Gervais, Steve Whitmire,Tina Fey, Ty Burrell
- Muppets Most Wanted takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour, selling out grand theaters in some of Europe’s most exciting destinations, including Berlin, Madrid and London. But mayhem follows the Muppets overseas, as they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper.
- Starring: Colin Firth, Hiroyuki Sanada, Jeremy Irvine, Nicole Kidman, Stellan Skarsgård
- Eric Lomax, a World War II British Army officer who was captured and forced to work on the notorious Death Railway, sets out to find those responsible for his torture.
Available August 19th
- Starring: Andrew Garfield, Denis Leary, Emma Stone,Jamie Foxx, Martin Sheen, Paul Giamatti, Sally Field
- It’s great to be Spider-Man. For Peter Parker, there’s no feeling quite like swinging between skyscrapers, embracing being the hero, and spending time with Gwen. But being Spider-Man comes at a price: only Spider-Man can protect his fellow New Yorkers from the formidable villains that threaten the city. With the emergence of Electro, Peter must confront a foe far more powerful than he. And as his old friend, Harry Osborn, returns, Peter comes to realize that all of his enemies have one thing in common: Oscorp.
- Starring: John Turturro, Sharon Stone, Sofía Vergara,Woody Allen
- Fioravante decides to become a professional Don Juan as a way of making money to help his cash-strapped friend, Murray. With Murray acting as his "manager", the duo quickly finds themselves caught up in the crosscurrents of love and money.
- Starring: Anton Yelchin, Jeffrey Wright, John Hurt, Mia Wasikowska, Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston
- Adam and Eve have been lovers for centuries. Both are cultured intellectuals with an all-embracing passion for music, literature and science, who have evolved to a level where they no longer kill for sustenance, but still retain their innate wildness. Adam, a reclusive underground musician hiding out in the ruins of contemporary Detroit, despairs about human civilization’s decline, and worries about future survival. Eve, who is perhaps 3000 years old to Adam’s 500, takes a longer view of history and is more optimistic. She leaves her home in the ancient city of Tangier to come to his side. As blood has been tainted by the zombies (humans), the formerly immortal Adam and Eve must secure uncontaminated blood from hospitals or they will perish. Eve’s close friend, Christopher Marlowe, is an elder vampire who provides Eve with hospital blood. Adam gets
his supply from Dr. Watson, a skittish hematologist who provides safe blood at a price. Adam and Eve’s precarious footing is further threatened by the uninvited arrival of Eve’s carefree and uncontrollable little sister Ava. Unlike Adam and Eve, Ava hasn’t yet learned to tame her wilder instincts, and her recklessness concerns Adam.
Available August 26th
Germany, 1912. A graduate of humble origins takes up a clerical post in a steel factory. Impressed by his work the elderly owner takes him on as his private secretary. His health declining, the owner is confined to his home, where the young man moves to continue his work. There he meets the owner’s wife, a much younger woman, beautiful and reserved. As time passes the young man falls passionately in love but does not dare reveal his feelings. A romantic intrigue develops in this stifling bourgeois home, all looks and silences, without a single word or gesture of love. When the owner announces he is sending his secretary to oversee his mines in Mexico, the wife’s stricken reaction reveals to the young man that she too has fallen secretly in love - a love she cannot express in the presence of her sick husband. She makes him a promise -
when he returns in two years time, she will be his. Separated by an ocean, they exchange passionate letters while awaiting the day that will reunite them. Then, on the verge of his return to Germany, World War 1 erupts. All maritime travel between South America and Europe is suspended. His beloved pines, awaiting his return. Eight years later, with millions dead and Europe in ruins, the exile returns, to his homeland and to the woman he hopes has been waiting for him. But has their love survived the brutal passage of time?
- Starring: Emily Watson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Matthew Goode, Miranda Richardson, Tom Wilkinson
- Belle is inspired by the true story of Dido Elizabeth Belle the illegitimate mixed race daughter of Admiral John Lindsay. Raised by her aristocratic great-uncle Lord Mansfield and his wife, Belle's lineage affords her certain privileges, yet her status prevents her from the traditions of noble social standing. While her cousin Elizabeth chases suitors for marriage, Belle is left on the sidelines wondering if she will ever find love. After meeting an idealistic young vicar's son bent on changing society, he and Belle help shape Lord Mansfield's role as Lord Chief Justice to end slavery in England.
- Starring: Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore, Joel McHale,Kevin Nealon, Terry Crews, Wendi McLendon-Covey
- After a disastrous blind date, single parents Lauren and Jim agree on only one thing: they never want to see each other again. But when they each sign up separately for a fabulous family vacation with their kids, they are all stuck sharing a suite at a luxurious African safari resort for a week.
- Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Mia Wasikowska, Noah Taylor,Wallace Shawn, Yasmin Paige
- The life of Simon (Jesse Eisenberg), a timid, isolated man who’s overlooked at work, scorned by his mother, and ignored by the woman of his dreams (Mia Wasikowska) is turned upside down with the arrival of a new co-worker, James. James is both Simon's exact physical double and his opposite - confident, charismatic and good with women. To Simon's horror, James slowly starts taking over his life.
When their retirement nest egg is wiped out, Richard (Pierce Brosnan) and Kate (Emma Thompson), a divorced couple whose banter suggests that the flames of their former relationship have not been fully extinguished, scheme to steal a $10 million diamond from the French financier who defrauded them. Roped in to assist in the heist are the couple’s former neighbors (Timothy Spall and Celia Imrie) who are also rooting for the couple's reconciliation.
Ryan Murphy's adaptation of Larry Kramer's Tony-winning play about the early days of the AIDS crisis. After seeing a friend succumb to a new disease killing gay men at the offices of Dr. Emma Brookner (Julia Roberts), Ned Weeks (Mark Ruffalo) seeks to organize more action to combat it, even as his bluntness threatens to alienate people around him including his brother Ben (Alfred Molina), his lover Felix (Matt Bomer), and Bruce Niles (Taylor Kitsch), a closeted investment banker.
- Starring: Allison Janney, Amanda Peet, Clark Gregg,Felicity Huffman, Molly Shannon, Niecy Nash, Sam Rockwell, William H. Macy
- Howard Holloway, a former child star now struggling agent for child actors, spends years losing his most talented clients to his slick, arch-nemesis Aldo Shocklee.
In this highly anticipated new season, we see Rick and the group of survivors fostering a thriving community in the safe haven of the prison. Sadly, in this brutal world, happiness is short-lived and walkers and outside threats are no match for danger brewing inside the fences. The group’s home and new way of life will be thoroughly tested, and their struggle to survive has never been so perilous. Season 4 also introduces several new characters including Bob Stookey (Lawrence Gilliard Jr., The Wire).
Available September 2nd
- Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Denis Leary, Frank Langella, Jennifer Garner, Kevin Costner, Sam Elliott
- On the day of the NFL Draft, general manager Sonny Weaver (Kevin Costner) has the opportunity to save football in Cleveland when he trades for the number one pick. He must quickly decide what he's willing to sacrifice in pursuit of perfection as the lines between his personal andprofessional life become blurred on a life-changing day for a few hundred young men with dreams of playing in the NFL.
- Starring: Dakota Fanning, Jesse Eisenberg, Peter Sarsgaard
- As organic farmer Josh (Jesse Eisenberg), high society dropout Dena (Dakota Fanning) and ex-Marine Harmon (Peter Sarsgaard) plan, carry out and then witness the fallout of an attention-grabbing act of sabotage, they find their own personal limits tested.
- Starring: Amy Poehler, Bill Hader, Christopher Meloni,Cobie Smulders, Paul Rudd
- Joel (Paul Rudd), a candy company executive, threatens to close down Molly's (Amy Poehler) mom-and-pop candy store, but the unlikely pair begin to fall in love.
Available September 9th
- Starring: Anthony Mackie, Chris Evans, Cobie Smulders, Hayley Atwell, Robert Redford, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan
- After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, lives quietly in Washington, D.C. trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy.
- Starring: Michele Simon
- Far more of us get sick from what we eat than anyone has ever realized. This potent exposé uncovers the food industry’s dirty secrets. This exploration reveals how, in the wake of media attention, public fascination with appearance and government policies pushing for change, generations of Americans will live shorter lives.
- Starring: Caleb Landry Jones, Christina Hendricks, John Turturro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Richard Jenkins
- In the gritty, blue-collar neighborhood of God's Pocket, Mickey Scarpato's crazy stepson, Leon, is killed in a construction “accident,” and Mickey quickly tries to bury the bad news with the body. But when a local columnist comes sniffing around for the truth, things go from bad to worse. Mickey finds himself stuck in a life-and-death struggle compounded by a body he can't bury, a wife he can't please, and a debt he can't pay.
- Starring: Emma Roberts, Jack Kilmer, James Franco, Nat Wolff, Zoe Levin
- Shy, sensitive April (Emma Roberts) is the class virgin—a popular soccer player and frequent babysitter for her single-dad coach, Mr. B. (James Franco). Teddy (Jack Kilmer) is an introspective artist whose best friend and sidekick Fred (Nat Wolff) is an unpredictable live wire with few filters or boundaries. While April negotiates a dangerous affair with Mr. B., and Teddy performs community service for a DUI—secretly carrying a torch for April, who may or may not share his affection—Fred seduces Emily (Zoe Levin), a promiscuous loner who seeks validation through sexual encounters. One high-school party bleeds into another as April and Teddy finally acknowledge their mutual affection, and Fred's escalating recklessness spirals into chaos.
- Starring: Amy Brenneman, Bruce Davison, Clive Owen,Juliette Binoche
- Prep school English teacher Jack Marcus (Clive Owen) laments his students' obsession with social media and good grades rather than engaging with the power of the written word. A one-time literary star, Jack has not published in years filling his spare time with drink versus the art of language. He meets his match in Dina Delsanto (Juliette Binoche)—an abstract painter and new teacher on campus, who was once celebrated for her art. From the start, the two flirt and provoke each other with equal relish. With a performance review looming and his teaching job on the line, Jack hatches an inspired plan for galvanizing student interest in their studies: he declares a war between Words and Pictures, confident that the former can convey greater meaning than the latter. Dina and her art students accept the challenge between Jack and his English students, and
the battle lines are drawn.
Coming September 16th
The Fault in Our Stars
- Starring: Ansel Elgort, Laura Dern, Nat Wolff, Sam Trammell, Shailene Woodley, Willem Dafoe
- Hazel (Shailene Woodley) and Gus (Ansel Elgort) are two extraordinary teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that takes them on an unforgettable journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous, given that they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.
- Starring: Aaron Johnson, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins
- The world’s most revered monster is reborn in a powerful story of human courage and reconciliation in the face of titanic forces of nature, when the awe-inspiring Godzilla rises to restore balance as humanity stands defenseless.
Coming September 23rd
- Starring: Lisa Kudrow, Rose Byrne, Seth Rogen, Zac Efron
- A young couple with a newborn baby face unexpected difficulties after they are forced to live next to a fraternity house.
Coming September 30th
Cold In July
- Starring: Don Johnson, Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard,Vinessa Shaw
- How can a split-second decision change your life? While investigating noises in his house one balmy Texas night in 1989, Richard Dane puts a bullet in the brain of a low-life burglar, Freddy Russell. Although he’s hailed as a small-town hero, Dane soon finds himself fearing for his family’s safety when Freddy’s ex-con father, Ben, rolls into town; hell-bent on revenge. However, not all is as it seems. Shortly after Dane kills the home intruder, his life begins to unravel into a dark underworld of corruption and violence. Twists and turns continue to pile up as the film reaches its inevitable destination: a gore-soaked dead end.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Deke Garner, Jonny Mars, Josh Wiggins, Juliette Lewis
- Hard-drinking Texas single dad Hollis (Aaron Paul) struggles to raise his two boys, including rebellious teenager Jacob (Josh Wiggins). Seething with anger, Jacob finds release in the high-risk, white-knuckle world of motocross—but his increasingly reckless behavior threatens to spin out of control.
A rock journalist (Toni Collette) is assigned to track down her ex-boyfriend.
- Starring: Adrien Brody, James Franco, Kim Basinger, Liam Neeson, Maria Bello, Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde
- Three interlocking love stories involving three couples in three cities: Rome, Paris, and New York.
This web site is a real find for film buffs. You can find the name of that film you can't quite remember by searching by actor(s) or even by partial title. You can cross-reference by clicking on the actor in the cast list and find a list of all of his movies. Also listed (besides cast) are writers, directors and crew. TV shows are in the database as well. So, last week when I watched an episode of "House" and recognized 2 actors but couldn't remember from where (!) I was able to search (by season and episode list) and find the answers which would normally have either kept me up or come to me in a flash at 2 a.m. Give it a try. [Link] www.imdb.com.