Please note the following:
Most new DVDs are very popular! But don't be discouraged. If you place a hold on a dvd that we own, you will get it before patrons from other libraries.
To place a hold on one of these dvds, just click on the title or the cover art. This will bring you to the catalog record for that film and you can then place your hold.
Also note: Most of our feature film dvds are widescreen editions. If you prefer full screen, you will need to go to a different record in the catalog. But remember, you only get first preference (over patrons from other libraries) on Norfolk dvds.
(Plot synopses and cast lists courtesy of Metacritic.com unless otherwise noted.)
Available in February
- Starring: Dan Stevens, Joel Moore, Leland Orser, Maika Monroe, Sheila Kelley
- A soldier (Dan Stevens) introduces himself to the Peterson family, claiming to be a friend of their son who died in action. After the young man is welcomed into their home, a series of accidental deaths seem to be connected to his presence.
- Starring: Rosamund Pike, Simon Pegg
- A psychiatrist searches the globe to find the secret of happiness.
- Starring: Adrianne Palicki, Alfie Allen, Bridget Moynahan,Dean Winters, Ian McShane, Keanu Reeves, Michael Nyqvist, Willem Dafoe
- Former hitman John Wick (Keanu Reeves) comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters who took everything from him.
- Starring: Bella Thorne, Dylan Minnette, Ed Oxenbould, Elise Vargas, Jennifer Garner, Kerris Dorsey, Sidney Fullmer,Steve Carell, Zoey Vargas
- 11-year-old Alexander (Ed Oxenbould) experiences the most terrible and horrible day of his young life — a day that begins with gum stuck in his hair, followed by one calamity after another. But when Alexander tells his upbeat family about the misadventures of his disastrous day, he finds little sympathy and begins to wonder if bad things only happen to him. He soon learns that he’s not alone when his mom (Jennifer Garner), dad (Steve Carell), brother (Dylan Minnette) and sister (Kerris Dorsey) all find themselves living through their own terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Anyone who says there is no such thing as a bad day just hasn’t had one.
- Starring: Chloë Grace Moretz, Keira Knightley, Mark Webber, Sam Rockwell
- Having spent her twenties comfortably inert, 28 year old Megan (Keira Knightley) reaches a crisis when she finds herself squarely in adulthood with no career prospects, no particular motivation to pursue any and no one to relate to, including her high school boyfriend (Mark Webber). When he proposes, Megan panics and given an opportunity to escape - at least temporarily - she hides out in the home of her new friend, 16-year-old Annika (Chloë Grace Moretz) and Annika's world-weary single dad (Sam Rockwell).
The adaptation of Elizabeth Strout's Pulitzer-winning novel of the same name focuses on the Olive Kitteridge's (Frances McDormand) interactions with the people of her small Maine town over the course of 25 years.
- Starring: Astro, Boyd Holbrook, Dan Stevens, David Harbour, Liam Neeson
- Ex-NYPD cop Matt Scudder (Liam Neeson) now works as an unlicensed private investigator operating just outside the law. When Scudder reluctantly agrees to help a heroin trafficker (Dan Stevens) hunt down the men who kidnapped and then brutally murdered his wife, the PI learns that this is not the first time these men have committed this sort of twisted crime…nor will it be the last. Blurring the lines between right and wrong, Scudder races to track the deviants through the backstreets of New York City before they kill again.
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Innocence
- Starring: Amy Ryan, Andrea Riseborough, Edward Norton, Emma Stone, Michael Keaton, Naomi Watts, Zach Galifianakis
- An actor (Michael Keaton)—famous for portraying an iconic superhero—struggles to mount a Broadway play. In the days leading up to opening night, he battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career, and himself.
- Starring: Ben Kingsley, Dee Bradley Baker, Jared Harris,Nick Frost, Nika Futterman, Pat Fraley, Richard Ayoade,Steve Blum, Tracy Morgan
- In the village of Cheesebridge, a Victorian-era berg obsessed with wealth, class and stinky fine cheeses, Eggs, a young orphan boy raised by the Boxtrolls, a lovable group of underground cave-dwelling trash collectors, tries to save his friends from an evil exterminator, Archibald Snatcher, with the help of a wealthy local girl named Winnie.
The fourth season finds King Joffrey preparing to wed Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer), as Jaime Lannister seeks to rekindle his relationship with his sister Cersei, while Daenerys add more people to her army, and Castle Black is about to be attacked by Wildlings.
- Starring: Diana Bang, James Franco, Lizzy Caplan,Randall Park, Seth Rogen
- Dave Skylark (James Franco) and his producer Aaron Rapoport (Seth Rogen) run the popular celebrity tabloid TV show Skylark Tonight. When they discover that North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un is a fan of the show, they land an interview with him in an attempt to legitimize themselves as journalists. As Dave and Aaron prepare to travel to Pyongyang, their plans change when the CIA recruits them, perhaps the two least-qualified men imaginable, to assassinate Kim Jong-un.
- Starring: Chaz Ebert, Errol Morris, Gene Siskel, Martin Scorsese, Roger Ebert, Werner Herzog
- In 2013, we lost Roger Ebert—arguably the nation’s best-known and most influential movie critic. Based on his memoir of the same name, Life Itself recounts Ebert’s fascinating and flawed journey—from politicized school newspaperman, to Chicago Sun-Times movie critic, to Pulitzer Prize winner, to television household name, to the miracle of finding love at 50, and finally his “third act” as a major voice on the Internet when he could no longer physically speak.
- Starring: Analeigh Tipton, Morgan Freeman, Nicolas Phongpheth, Scarlett Johansson
- Summary: Lucy (Scarlett Johansson) accidentally gets caught up in a drug deal, but she soon turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human comprehension.
- Starring: Bill Murray, Jaeden Lieberher, Melissa McCarthy,Naomi Watts
- Maggie (Melissa McCarthy), a single mother, moves into a new home in Brooklyn with her 12-year old son, Oliver (Jaeden Lieberher). Forced to work long hours, she has no choice but to leave Oliver in the care of their new neighbor, Vincent (Bill Murray), a retired curmudgeon with a penchant for alcohol and gambling. An odd friendship soon blossoms between the improbable pair. Together with a pregnant stripper named Daka (Naomi Watts), Vincent brings Oliver along on all the stops that make up his daily routine - the race track, a strip club, and the local dive bar. Vincent helps Oliver grow to become a man, while Oliver begins to see in Vincent something that no one else is able to: a misunderstood man with a good heart.
- Starring: Eddie Redmayne, Felicity Jones
- Once a healthy, active young man, Stephen Hawking (Eddie Redmayne) received an earth-shattering diagnosis at 21 years of age. With his wife Jane (Felicity Jones) fighting tirelessly by his side, Stephen embarks on his most ambitious scientific work, studying the very thing he now has precious little of - time. Together, they defy impossible odds, breaking new ground in medicine and science, and achieving more than they could ever have dreamed.
- Starring: Alan Tudyk, Damon Wayans Jr., Genesis Rodriguez, James Cromwell, Jamie Chung, Maya Rudolph,Ryan Potter, Scott Adsit, T.J. Miller
- Big Hero 6 is an action-packed comedy-adventure about robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada, who learns to harness his genius—thanks to his brilliant brother Tadashi and their like-minded friends: adrenaline junkie Go Go Tamago, neatnik Wasabi, chemistry whiz Honey Lemon and fanboy Fred. When a devastating turn of events catapults them into the midst of a dangerous plot unfolding in the streets of San Fransokyo, Hiro turns to his closest companion - a robot named Baymax - and transforms the group into a band of high-tech heroes determined to solve the mystery.
- Starring: Charlie Day, Chris Pine, Christoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx, Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Aniston,Kevin Spacey
- Fed up with answering to higher-ups, Nick, Dale and Kurt decide to become their own bosses by launching their own business. But a slick investor soon pulls the rug out from under them. Outplayed and desperate, and with no legal recourse, the three would-be entrepreneurs hatch a misguided plan to kidnap the investor’s adult son and ransom him to regain control of their company.
- Starring: Kevin Kline, Kristin Scott Thomas, Maggie Smith
- A down-and-out New Yorker inherits an apartment in Paris from his estranged father and is stunned to find a refined old lady living there with her protective daughter.
- Starring: J.K. Simmons, Melissa Benoist, Miles Teller, Paul Reiser
- Andrew Neyman (Miles Teller), a young jazz drummer who attends one of the best music schools in the country under the tutelage of the school’s fearsome maestro of jazz named Terence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons), struggles to make it as a top jazz drummer.
Available March 3rd
- Starring: Dominic Cooper, Luke Evans, Samantha Barks,Sarah Gadon
- Vampire mythology combines with the true history of Prince Vlad to tell the origin of Dracula.
- Starring: Anthony Michael Hall, Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo, Sienna Miller, Steve Carell, Vanessa Redgrave
- Foxcatcher tells the true story of Olympic Wrestling Champion brothers Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) and Dave Schultz (Mark Ruffalo) and their relationship with the eccentric John du Pont (Steve Carell) that led to murder.
- Starring: Ana Coto, Bianca A. Santos, Daren Kagasoff,Douglas Smith, Olivia Cooke
- A group of friends must confront their most terrifying fears when they awaken the dark powers of an ancient spirit board.
Available March 6th
- Starring: Donald Sutherland, Elizabeth Banks, Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Julianne Moore, Liam Hemsworth, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Woody Harrelson
- Having twice survived the Hunger Games, Katniss finds herself in District 13. Under the leadership of President Coin (Julianne Moore) and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss reluctantly becomes the symbol of a mass rebellion against the Capitol and fights to save Peeta and a nation moved by her courage.
Available March 10th
Journalist Gary Webb (Jeremy Renner) stumbles onto a story which leads to the shady origins of the men who started the crack epidemic on the nation’s streets and further alleges that the CIA was aware of major dealers who were smuggling cocaine into the U.S., and using the profits to arm rebels fighting in Nicaragua. Despite warnings from drug kingpins and CIA operatives to stop his investigation, Webb keeps digging to uncover a conspiracy with explosive implications. His journey takes him from the prisons of California to the villages of Nicaragua to the highest corridors of power in Washington, D.C. – and draws the kind of attention that threatens not just his career, but his family and his life.
- Starring: Elisabeth Moss, Jason Schwartzman, Jonathan Pryce, Joséphine de La Baume, Krysten Ritter
- As Philip (Jason Schwartzman) awaits the publication of his second novel, he feels alienated by the constant crowds and noise of his home city, his deteriorating relationship with his photographer girlfriend Ashley (Elisabeth Moss), and his own indifference to promoting the novel. So when his idol, Ike Zimmerman (Jonathan Pryce), offers his isolated summer home as a refuge, Phlip finally gets the peace and quiet to focus on his favorite subject—himself.
- Starring: Bill Paxton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo
- Lou Bloom (Jake Gyllenhaal), a driven young man desperate for work, discovers the high-speed world of L.A. crime journalism. Finding a group of freelance camera crews who film crashes, fires, murder and other mayhem, Lou muscles into the cut-throat, dangerous realm of nightcrawling -- where each police siren wail equals a possible windfall and victims are converted into dollars and cents. Aided by Nina (Rene Russo), a veteran of the blood-sport that is local TV news, Lou blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story.
- Starring: Dimitri Leonidas, Gael García Bernal, Haluk Bilginer, Kim Bodnia, Shohreh Aghdashloo
- In June 2009, Maziar Bahari (Gael García Bernal) returned to Iran to interview Mir-Hossein Moussavi, who was the prime challenger to controversial incumbent president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. When Moussavi’s supporters rose up to protest Ahmadinejad’s victory declaration hours before the polls closed on election day, Bahari endured great personal risk by submitting camera footage of the unfolding street riots to the BBC. Bahari was soon arrested by Revolutionary Guard police and was tortured and interrogate over the next 118 days.
Available March 17th
- Starring: Jeff Daniels, Jim Carrey, Laurie Holden, Rachel Melvin, Rob Riggle
- 20 years after Lloyd and Harry set out on their first adventure, they hit the road in search of Harry's long lost daughter.
- Starring: Ben Kingsley, Ben Mendelsohn, Christian Bale,Joel Edgerton, Sigourney Weaver
- Moses (Christian Bale) rises up against the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses (Joel Edgerton), setting 400,000 slaves on a monumental journey of escape from Egypt and its terrifying cycle of deadly plagues.
- Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Miller, Christopher Knights, Conrad Vernon, Tom McGrath
- Discover the secrets of the most entertaining and mysterious birds in the global espionage game: Skipper, Kowalski, Rico and Private now must join forces with the chic spy organization, the North Wind, led by Agent Classified (we could tell you his name, but then … you know) to stop the villainous Dr. Octavius Brine from taking over the world.
- Starring: Chris Rock, Gabrielle Union, Kevin Hart, Rosario Dawson
- New York City comedian-turned-movie star Andre Allen (Chris Rock) tries to get his career back on track
Available March 24th
- Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Cate Blanchett,Christopher Lee, Evangeline Lilly, Hugo Weaving, Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Orlando Bloom, Richard Armitage,
- Having reclaimed their homeland from the Dragon Smaug, the Company has unwittingly unleashed a deadly force into the world. Enraged, Smaug rains his fiery wrath down upon the defenseless men, women and children of Lake-town. Obsessed above all else with his reclaimed treasure, Thorin sacrifices friendship and honor to hoard it as Bilbo’s frantic attempts to make him see reason drive the Hobbit towards a desperate and dangerous choice. But there are even greater dangers ahead. Unseen by any but the Wizard Gandalf, the great enemy Sauron has sent forth legions of Orcs in a stealth attack upon the Lonely Mountain. As darkness converges on their escalating conflict, the races of Dwarves, Elves and Men must decide – unite or be destroyed. Bilbo finds himself fighting for his life and the lives of his friends in the epic Battle of the Five Armies, as the
future of Middle-earth hangs in the balance.
- Starring: Anna Kendrick, Chris Pine, Emily Blunt, Frances De La Tour, James Corden, Johnny Depp, Lilla Crawford,Lucy Punch, Meryl Streep
- Into the Woods is a modern twist on the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tales, intertwining the plots of a few choice stories and exploring the consequences of the characters’ wishes and quests. This humorous and heartfelt musical follows the classic tales of Cinderella (Anna Kendrick), Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford), Jack and the Beanstalk (Daniel Huttlestone), and Rapunzel (MacKenzie Mauzy)—all tied together by an original story involving a baker and his wife (James Corden & Emily Blunt), their wish to begin a family and their interaction with the witch (Meryl Streep) who has put a curse on them.
- Starring: Domhnall Gleeson, Finn Wittrock, Garrett Hedlund, Jack O'Connell, Jai Courtney, Luke Treadaway,Miyavi
- A chronicle of the life of Louis “Louie” Zamperini (Jack O’Connell), an Olympic runner who, along with two other crewmen, survived in a raft for 47 days after a near-fatal plane crash in World War II—only to be caught by the Japanese Navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp.
Available March 31st
- Starring: Anne Hathaway, Bill Irwin, Ellen Burstyn, Jessica Chastain, Mackenzie Foy, Matthew McConaughey,Michael Caine
- With our time on Earth coming to an end, a team of explorers undertakes the most important mission in human history; traveling beyond this galaxy to discover whether mankind has a future among the stars.
- Starring: Gaby Hoffmann, Laura Dern, Michiel Huisman,Reese Witherspoon
- After years of reckless behavior, a heroin addiction and the destruction of her marriage, Cheryl Strayed (Reese Witherspoon) makes a rash decision. Haunted by memories of her mother Bobbi (Laura Dern) and with absolutely no experience, she sets out to hike more than a thousand miles on the Pacific Crest Trail all on her own.
This web site is a real find for film buffs. You can find the name of that film you can't quite remember by searching by actor(s) or even by partial title. You can cross-reference by clicking on the actor in the cast list and find a list of all of his movies. Also listed (besides cast) are writers, directors and crew. TV shows are in the database as well. So, last week when I watched an episode of "House" and recognized 2 actors but couldn't remember from where (!) I was able to search (by season and episode list) and find the answers which would normally have either kept me up or come to me in a flash at 2 a.m. Give it a try. [Link] www.imdb.com.