Please note the following:
Most new DVDs are very popular! But don't be discouraged. If you place a hold on a dvd that we own, you will get it before patrons from other libraries.
To place a hold on one of these dvds, just click on the title or the cover art. This will bring you to the catalog record for that film and you can then place your hold.
Also note: Most of our feature film dvds are widescreen editions. If you prefer full screen, you will need to go to a different record in the catalog. But remember, you only get first preference (over patrons from other libraries) on Norfolk dvds.
(Plot synopses and cast lists courtesy of Metacritic.com unless otherwise noted.)
Available in June
- Starring: David Thewlis, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tom Noonan
- Michael Stone, an author of books on the subject of customer service, struggles to connect with people. One night, while on a routine business trip, he meets Lisa, a stranger with a unique voice.
- Starring: Ben Robson, Diana Hardcastle, James Russell,Jim Norton, Lauren Cohan, Rupert Evans
- Greta is a young American woman who takes a job as a nanny in a remote English village, only to discover that the family’s 8-year-old is a life-sized doll that the parents care for just like a real boy, as a way to cope with the death of their actual son 20 years prior. After violating a list of strict rules, a series of disturbing and inexplicable events bring Greta’s worst nightmare to life, leading her to believe that the doll is actually alive.
- Starring: Brenton Thwaites, Chadwick Boseman, Geoffrey Rush, Gerard Butler, Nikolaj Coster Waldau
- The survival of mankind hangs in the balance as an unexpected mortal hero Bek (Brenton Thwaites) undertakes a thrilling journey to save the world and rescue his true love. In order to succeed, he must enlist the help of the powerful god Horus (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) in an unlikely alliance against Set (Gerard Butler), the merciless god of darkness, who has usurped Egypt's throne, plunging the once peaceful and prosperous empire into chaos and conflict. As their breathtaking battle against Set and his henchmen takes them into the afterlife and across the heavens, both god and mortal must pass tests of courage and sacrifice if they hope to prevail in the epic final confrontation.
- Starring: Sam Waterston, Martin Sheen, Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda
- Long-time adversaries Grace (Jane Fonda) and Frankie (Lily Tomlin) are unexpectedly brought together when their husbands (Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson) fall in love with each other.
- Starring: Alden Ehrenreich, Channing Tatum, Frances McDormand, George Clooney, Jonah Hill, Josh Brolin,Ralph Fiennes, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton
- Set during the latter years of Hollywood’s Golden Age, Hail, Caesar! follows a single day in the life of a studio fixer who is presented with plenty of problems to fix.
- Starring: Jeremy Sisto, Logan Creran, Sarah Wayne Callies, Sofia Rosinsky
- A family lives an idyllic existence abroad until a tragic accident takes the life of their young son. The inconsolable mother learns of an ancient ritual that will bring him back to say a final goodbye. She travels to an ancient temple, where a door serves as a mysterious portal between two worlds. But when she disobeys a sacred warning to never open that door, she upsets the balance between life and death.
- Starring: Anna Kendrick, James Ransone, Sam Rockwell,The RZA, Tim Roth
- Hyperactive at the best of times, Martha (Anna Kendrick) has gone full-on manic since her latest breakup. She babbles, parties like a monster, cooks everything in sight - and is looking to do something terrible when she meets Francis (Sam Rockwell). To anyone else, Francis's approach would come across as creepy, but Martha can't help but be intrigued. They seem a perfect match: she's bananas, he's bananas... except he's a deadly sort of bananas. He's a professional assassin. Francis is a hitman with a cause: he unexpectedly kills the people ordering the hits. Just as Martha begins to realize her new beau wasn't joking when he said he had to step out for a moment to shoot someone, things start heating up for Francis. His services are solicited by a dubious client who's being sought by an equally dubious FBI agent (Tim Roth). As the bodies pile up, Martha
needs to decide whether to flee or join in the mayhem.
- Starring:David Denman,James Badge Dale, John Krasinski, Max Martini, Pablo Schreiber, Toby Stephens
- An American Ambassador is killed during an attack at a U.S. compound in Libya as a security team struggles to make sense out of the chaos.
- Starring: Alex Manette, Bruce Altman, Christine Lahti,Daniel Gerroll, Edward Gelbinovich, Griffin Dunne, Katie Holmes, Luke Kirby,
- Two poets (Katie Homes and Luke Kirby) with bipolar disorder meet in a treatment facility, and their chemistry is instant and intense, driving each other's mania to new heights. They pursue their passion which breaks outside the bounds of sanity, swinging them from fantastical highs to tormented lows until they ultimately must choose between sanity and love.
The modern mammal metropolis of Zootopia is a city like no other. Comprised of habitat neighborhoods like ritzy Sahara Square and frigid Tundratown, it’s a melting pot where animals from every environment live together—a place where no matter what you are, from the biggest elephant to the smallest shrew, you can be anything. But when optimistic Officer Judy Hopps arrives, she discovers that being the first bunny on a police force of big, tough animals isn’t so easy. Determined to prove herself, she jumps at the opportunity to crack a case, even if it means partnering with a fast-talking, scam-artist fox, Nick Wilde, to solve the mystery.
- Starring: Hugh Jackman, Taron Egerton
- Inspired by true events, Eddie the Eagle is a feel-good story about Michael “Eddie” Edwards (Taron Egerton), an unlikely but courageous British ski-jumper who never stopped believing in himself – even as an entire nation was counting him out. With the help of a rebellious and charismatic coach (Hugh Jackman), Eddie takes on the establishment and wins the hearts of sports fans around the world by making an improbable and historic showing at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics.
- Starring: Charlotte Rampling, Tom Courtenay
- There is just one week until Kate Mercer's (Charlotte Rampling) 45th wedding anniversary and the planning for the party is going well. But then a letter arrives for her husband (Tom Courtenay). The body of his first love has been discovered, frozen and preserved in the icy glaciers of the Swiss Alps. By the time the party is upon them, five days later, there may not be a marriage left to celebrate.
- Starring: Elizabeth Reaser, Kumail Nanjiani, Max Greenfield, Natasha Lyonne, Sally Field, Tyne Daly, Wendi McLendon-Covey
- When Doris Miller (Sally Field) meets John Fremont (Max Greenfield), her company’s hip new art director, sparks fly—at least for Doris. Her first encounter with true romance (outside of the pages of a novel) convinces Doris that she and the mostly unaware John are meant for each other. In the cluttered house she shared with her late mother, Doris mines the Internet for information on her one-and-only, guided by the 13-year-old granddaughter of her best pal Roz (Tyne Daly). When Doris begins showing up at John’s regular haunts, she wins over his Williamsburg friends with her eclectic vintage wardrobe, quirky naiveté and unironic enthusiasm for their rooftop knitting circle. Her new life brings Doris a thrilling perspective, but also creates a rift between her and her longtime friends and family, who believe she’s making a fool of herself over a
guy half her age. Eager for all the experiences she has missed out on, Doris throws caution to the wind and follows her heart for the very first time.
- Starring: John Gallagher Jr., John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead
- Waking up from a car accident, a young woman (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) finds herself in the basement of a man who says he's saved her life from a chemical attack that has left the outside uninhabitable.
- Starring: Mark Strong, Sacha Baron Cohen
- Nobby (Sacha Baron Cohen) has everything a man from the poor English fishing town of Grimsby could want – 9 children and the most attractive girlfriend in northern England (Rebel Wilson). There’s only one thing missing in his life: his little brother, Sebastian (Mark Strong). After they were adopted by different families as children, Nobby spent 28 years searching for him. Upon hearing of his location, Nobby sets off to reunite with his brother, unaware that not only is his brother an MI6 agent, but he's just uncovered a plot that puts the world in danger. On the run and wrongfully accused, Sebastian realizes that if he is going to save the world, he will need the help of its biggest idiot.
- Starring: Antonio Banderas, Brian Dennehy, Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Freida Pinto, Isabel Lucas,Natalie Portman, Teresa Palmer, Wes Bentley
- Knight of Cups follows writer Rick (Christian Bale) on an odyssey through the playgrounds of Los Angeles and Las Vegas as he undertakes a search for love and self. Even as he moves through a desire-laden landscape of mansions, resorts, beaches and clubs, Rick grapples over complicated relationships with his brother (Wes Bentley) and father (Brian Dennehy). His quest to break the spell of his disenchantment takes him on a series of adventures with six alluring women: rebellious Della (Imogen Poots); his physician ex-wife, Nancy (Cate Blanchett); a serene model Helen (Freida Pinto); a woman he wronged in the past Elizabeth (Natalie Portman); a spirited, playful stripper Karen (Teresa Palmer); and an innocent Isabel (Isabel Lucas), who helps him see a way forward. Rick moves in a daze through a strange and overwhelming dreamscape -- but can he wake up to the
beauty, humanity and rhythms of life around him? The deeper he searches, the more the journey becomes his destination.
A father (Michael Shannon), goes on the run to protect his young son, Alton (Jaeden Lieberher), and uncover the truth behind the boy’s special powers. What starts as a race from religious extremists and local law enforcement quickly escalates to a nationwide manhunt involving the highest levels of the Federal Government. Ultimately his father risks everything to protect Alton and help fulfill a destiny that could change the world forever.
Nestled in Norway's Sunnmøre region, Geiranger is one of the most spectacular tourist draws on the planet. With the mountain Åkerneset overlooking the village — and constantly threatening to collapse into the fjord — it is also a place where cataclysm could strike at any moment. After putting in several years at Geiranger's warning center, geologist Kristian (Kristoffer Joner) is moving on to a prestigious gig with an oil company. But the very day he's about to drive his family to their new life in the city, Kristian senses something isn't right. The substrata are shifting. No one wants to believe that this could be the big one, especially with tourist season at its peak, but when that mountain begins to crumble, every soul in Geiranger has ten minutes to get to high ground before a tsunami hits, consuming everything in its path.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Alan Rickman, Barkhad Abdi, Helen Mirren, Iain Glen, Jeremy Northam, Kim Engelbrecht,Phoebe Fox
- Through remote surveillance and on-the-ground intel, Colonel Katherine Powell (Helen Mirren), a UK-based military officer in command of a top secret drone operation to capture terrorists in Kenya discovers the targets are planning a suicide bombing and the mission escalates from “capture” to “kill.” But as American pilot Steve Watts (Aaron Paul) is about to engage, a nine-year old girl enters the kill zone triggering an international dispute, reaching the highest levels of US and British government, over the moral, political, and personal implications of modern warfare.
- Starring: Angelina Jolie, Bryan Cranston, David Cross,Dustin Hoffman, J.K. Simmons, Jack Black, Jackie Chan,Lucy Liu, Seth Rogen
- When Po's long-lost panda father suddenly reappears, the reunited duo travels to a secret panda paradise to meet scores of hilarious new panda characters. But when the supernatural villain Kai begins to sweep across China defeating all the kung fu masters, Po must do the impossible-learn to train a village full of his fun-loving, clumsy brethren to become the ultimate band of Kung Fu Pandas.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Anthony Mackie, Casey Affleck,Chiwetel Ejiofor, Clifton Collins Jr., Gal Gadot,
- Kate Winslet, Norman Reedus, Woody Harrelson
- A crew of dirty cops is blackmailed by the Russian mob to execute a virtually impossible heist and the only way to pull it off is to manufacture a 999, police code for “officer down.” Their plan is turned upside down when the unsuspecting rookie they set up to die foils the attack, triggering a breakneck action-packed finale tangled with double-crosses, greed and revenge.
- Starring: Alfred Molina, Billy Bob Thornton, Josh Charles, Margot Robbie, Martin Freeman,Tina Fey
- When reporter, Kim Baker’s (Tina Fey) life needs something more, she decides to ‘shake it all up’ by taking an assignment in a war zone. There, in the midst of chaos, she finds the strength she never knew she had.
Available July 5th
- Starring: Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Mélanie Laurent, Melvil Poupaud, Niels Arestrup
- Roland (Brad Pitt), an American writer, and his wife, Vanessa (Angelina Jolie), arrive in a tranquil and picturesque seaside resort in 1970s France, their marriage in apparent crisis. As they spend time with fellow travelers, including young newlyweds Lea (Melanie Laurent) and François (Melvil Poupaud) and village locals Michel (Niels Arestrup) and Patrice (Richard Bohringer), the couple begins to come to terms with unresolved issues in their own lives.
- Starring: Christopher Walken, Jason Bateman, Kathryn Hahn, Maryann Plunkett, Nicole Kidman
- Adult siblings Baxter (Jason Bateman) and Annie (Nicole Kidman), scarred from an unconventional upbringing, return to their family home after an unlikely accident. When their parents (Christopher Walken and Maryann Plunkett) — performance artists famous for elaborate public hoaxes — suddenly go missing under troubling circumstances, Baxter and Annie investigate. Unsure whether it’s foul play or just another elaborate ruse, nothing can prepare them for what they discover.
- Starring: Bradley Whitford, Elizabeth Olsen, Maddie Hasson, Tom Hiddleston
- I Saw the Light, the story of the legendary country western singer Hank Williams, who in his brief life created one of the greatest bodies of work in American music. The film chronicles his meteoric rise to fame and its ultimately tragic effect on his health and personal life.
Available July 12th
- Starring: Barry Te Hira, Cliff Curtis, James Napier Robertson, James Rolleston, Kirk Torrance, Miriama McDowell
- An inspiring true story based on the life of charismatic and brilliant chess champion, Genesis Potini (Cliff Curtis). His emotionally-charged story is about finding the courage to lead, despite his own struggles – finding purpose and hope in passing on his gift to the children of his community.
- Starring: Jeff Daniels, Shailene Woodley, Theo James
- After the earth-shattering revelations of Insurgent, Tris (Shailene Woodley) must escape with Four (Theo James) and go beyond the wall enclosing Chicago. For the first time ever, they will leave the only city and family they have ever known in order to find a peaceful solution for their embroiled city. Once outside, old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless with the revelation of shocking new truths. Tris and Four must quickly decide who they can trust as a ruthless battle ignites beyond the walls of Chicago which threatens all of humanity. In order to survive, Tris will be forced to make impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love.
- Starring: Blake Jenner, Ryan Guzman, Tyler Hoechlin,Zoey Deutch
- Set in the world of 1980s college life, Everybody Wants Some follows a group of college baseball players as they navigate their way through the freedoms and responsibilities of unsupervised adulthood. Get ready for the best weekend ever.
- Starring: Alia Shawkat, Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots,Patrick Stewart
- Down on their luck punk rockers The Ain’t Rights are finishing up a long and unsuccessful tour, and are about to call it quits when they get an unexpected booking at an isolated, run-down club deep in the backwoods of Oregon. What seems merely to be a third-rate gig escalates into something much more sinister when they witness an act of violence backstage that they weren’t meant to see. Now trapped backstage, they must face off against the club’s depraved owner, Darcy Banker (Patrick Stewart), a man who will do anything to protect the secrets of his nefarious enterprise. But while Darcy and his henchmen think the band will be easy to get rid of, The Ain’t Rights prove themselves much more cunning and capable than anyone expected, turning the tables on their unsuspecting captors and setting the stage for the ultimate life-or-death showdown.
- Starring: Aaron Eckhart, Angela Bassett, Gerard Butler
- In London for the Prime Minister's funeral, Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) discovers a plot to assassinate all the attending world leaders.
- Starring: Brighton Sharbino, Courtney Fansler, Jennifer Garner, Kylie Rogers, Martin Henderson
- When Christy (Jennifer Garner) discovers her 10-year-old daughter Anna (Kylie Rogers) has a rare, incurable disease, she becomes a ferocious advocate for her daughter's healing as she searches for a solution. After Anna has a freak accident, an extraordinary miracle unfolds in the wake of her dramatic rescue that leaves medical specialists mystified, her family restored and their community inspired.
Available July 19th
- Starring: Amy Adams, Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Jason Momoa, Jesse Eisenberg
- Fearing the actions of a god-like super hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.
- Starring: Chris Cooper, Heather Lind, Jake Gyllenhaal,Judah Lewis, Naomi Watts
- Davis (Jake Gyllenhaal), a successful investment banker, struggles after losing his wife in a tragic car crash. Despite pressure from his father in law Phil (Chris Cooper) to pull it together, Davis continues to unravel. What starts as a complaint letter to a vending machine company turns into a series of letters revealing startling personal admissions. Davis’ letters catch the attention of customer service rep Karen (Naomi Watts) and, amidst emotional and financial burdens of her own, the two form an unlikely connection. With the help of Karen and her son Chris (Judah Lewis), Davis starts to rebuild, beginning with the demolition of the life he once knew.
- Starring: Andrea Martin, John Corbett, Lainie Kazan,Michael Constantine, Nia Vardalos
- After spending most of their time focusing on their troubling teenage daughter, Toula (Nia Vardalos) and Ian (John Corbett) are facing marital problems while also having to deal with yet another Greek wedding – this time, even bigger and fatter.
Almost 14 years after the original series run, the next mind-bending chapter of THE X-FILESTM is a thrilling, six-episode event series from creator/executive producer Chris Carter, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reinhabiting their roles as iconic FBI agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY. Mitch Pileggi also returns as FBI Assistant Director WALTER SKINNER, Mulder and Scully s boss, who walks a fine line between loyalty to these investigators and accountability to his superiors. This marks the momentous return of the Emmy®- and Golden Globe® Award-winning pop culture phenomenon, which remains one of the longest-running sci-fi series in network television history.
Available July 26th
They've always been a great team. But now in Season Four of "House of Cards", Frank (Golden Globe TM Kevin Spacey) and Claire (Golden Globe TM winner Robin Wright) become even greater adversaries as their marriage stumbles and their ambitions are at odds.
The Magicians - Season One
High school senior Quentin Coldwater (Jason Ralph) secretly loves the fantasy novels about the adventures of five children in a magical land called Fillory. He soon is accepted into an exclusive, secret magicians school called the Brakebills University in upstate New York in this adaptation of Lev Grossman's trilogy of books.
Tatiana Maslany returns to the multiple roles that have earned her two Critics Choice Awards, plus Golden Globe and Emmy nominations. The fourth series of this critically acclaimed thriller sees the clones encounter their deadliest challenge yet.
- Starring: Aidan Gillen, Ben Carolan, Ferdia Walsh-Peelo,Jack Reynor, Kelly Thornton, Lucy Boynton, Maria Doyle Kennedy
- In 1980s Dublin, 14-year-old Conor (Ferdia Walsh-Peelo) is looking for a break from a home strained by his parents’ relationship and money troubles, while trying to adjust to his new inner-city public school where the kids are rough and the teachers are rougher. He finds a glimmer of hope in the mysterious, über-cool and beautiful Raphina (Lucy Boynton), and with the aim of winning her heart he invites her to star in his band’s music videos. There’s only one problem: he’s not part of a band…yet. She agrees, and now Conor must deliver what he’s promised - calling himself “Cosmo” and immersing himself in the vibrant rock music trends of the decade, he forms a band with a few lads, and the group pours their heart into writing lyrics and shooting videos.
Available August 2nd
A titan of industry (Melissa McCarthy) is sent to prison after she's caught for insider trading. When she emerges ready to rebrand herself as America's latest sweetheart, not everyone she screwed over is so quick to forgive and forget.
- Starring: Cecily Strong, Gary Cole, Haley Lu Richardson,Melissa Rauch, Sebastian Stan, Thomas Middleditch
- A decade ago, Hope Ann Greggory (Melissa Rauch) was America's sweetheart. Her inspired performance on a ruptured Achilles at the world's most prestigious gymnastics tournament clinched an unlikely bronze medal for the U.S. team and brought glory to her hometown of Amherst, Ohio. But in the years since that epic third place victory, Hope hasn't done a whole lot with her life. Still living in her dad Stan's (Gary Cole) basement, still sporting her daily uniform of a Team USA gym suit with teeny-bopper bangs, ponytail and scrunchie, she spends her days at the mall milking her minor celebrity for free food and favors. Hope's routine is upended when she learns that she must coach Amherst's newest gymnastics prodigy Maggie (Haley Lu Richardson) in order to receive a sizable financial inheritance. The hard-edged yet insecure Hope is faced with a serious dilemma:
does she jeopardize her "hometown hero" status by devotedly training this rising star to achieve the dreams she never could? Or does she attempt to sabotage the impressionable Maggie to ensure that she remains the one and only star in Amherst?
- Starring: Jeremy Irons, Luke Evans, Sienna Miller, Tom Hiddleston
- Dr. Robert Laing (Tom Hiddleston) is the newest resident of a luxurious apartment in a high-tech concrete skyscraper whose lofty location places him amongst the upper class. Laing quickly settles into high society life and meets the building’s eccentric tenants: Charlotte (Sienna Miller), his upstairs neighbor and bohemian single mother; Wilder (Luke Evans), a charismatic documentarian who lives with his pregnant wife Helen (Elisabeth Moss); and Mr. Royal (Jeremy Irons), the enigmatic architect who designed the building. Life seems like paradise to the solitude-seeking Laing. But as power outages become more frequent and building flaws emerge, particularly on the lower floors, the regimented social strata begins to crumble and the building becomes a battlefield in a literal class war.
- Starring: Jordan Peele, Keegan-Michael Key
- Clarence and Rell (Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele) are cousins who live in the city but are far from streetwise. When Rell’s beloved kitten, Keanu, is catnapped, the hopelessly straight-laced pair must impersonate ruthless killers in order to infiltrate a street gang and retrieve the purloined feline. But the incredibly adorable kitten becomes so coveted that the fight over his custody creates a gang war, forcing our two unwitting heroes to take the law into their own hands.
- Starring: Colin Farrell, Jessica Barden, Olivia Colman,Rachel Weisz
- A love story set in the near future where single people, according to the rules of The City, are arrested and transferred to The Hotel. There they are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days. If they fail, they are transformed into an animal of their choosing and released into The Woods. A desperate Man escapes from The Hotel to The Woods where The Loners live and falls in love, although it is against their rules.
Available August 9th
A Hologram for the King
- Starring: Alexander Black, Ben Whishaw, Sarita Choudhury, Tom Hanks
- Cultures collide when an American businessman (Tom Hanks) is sent to Saudi Arabia to close what he hopes will be the deal of a lifetime. Baffled by local customs and stymied by an opaque bureaucracy, he eventually finds his footing with the help of a wise-cracking taxi driver (Alexander Black) and a beautiful Saudi doctor (Sarita Choudhury).
- Starring: Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts,Kate Hudson
- This celebration of mothers everywhere invites us all to enjoy the laughter, tears and love as three generations come together in the week leading up to Mother’s Day.
Available August 16th
The Angry Birds Movie
- Starring: Danny McBride, Jason Sudeikis, Josh Gad,Maya Rudolph
- On an island populated entirely by happy, flightless birds (or almost entirely), Red (Jason Sudeikis), a bird with a temper problem, speedy Chuck (Josh Gad), and the volatile Bomb (Danny McBride) have always been outsiders. But when the island is visited by mysterious green piggies, it’s up to these unlikely outcasts to figure out what the pigs are up to.
- Starring: Josh Duhamel, James Franco, George MacKay
- Produced by J.J. Abrams, high school history teacher Jake Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to stop the assassination of JFK in the adaptation of Stephen King novel's 11/22/63.
Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising
- Starring: Chloë Grace Moretz, Rose Byrne, Seth Rogen,Zac Efron
- Now that Mac (Seth Rogen) and Kelly Radner (Rose Byrne) have a second baby on the way, they are ready to make the final move into adulthood: the suburbs. But just as they thought they’d reclaimed the neighborhood and were safe to sell, they learn that the new occupants next door are a sorority even more out of control than Teddy (Zac Efron) and his brothers ever dreamed of being. Tired of their school’s sexist, restrictive system, the unorthodox ladies of Kappa Nu have decided to start a house where they can do whatever the hell they want. When Shelby (Chloë Grace Moretz) and her sisters, Beth (Kiersey Clemons) and Nora (Beanie Feldstein), find the perfect place just off campus, they won’t let the fact that it’s located on a quiet street stand in their way of parties as epic as the guys throw. Forced to turn to the one ex-neighbor with the skills
to bring down the new Greeks next door, the Radners — alongside best friends Jimmy (Ike Barinholtz) and Paula (Carla Gallo) — bring in charismatic Teddy as their secret weapon. If he can infiltrate the sorority and charm his way through it, the thirtysomethings will shutter the Kappas’ home. But if they think that their neighbors are going down without a fight, they have severely underestimated the power of youthful ingenuity and straight-up crazy.
Available August 23rd
- Starring: Bill Hader, Ethan Hawke, Greta Gerwig, Julianne Moore, Maya Rudolph, Travis Fimmel
- Maggie Hardin (Greta Gerwig) is a vibrant and practical thirty-something New Yorker working in education, who without success in finding love, decides now is the time to have a child on her own. But when she meets John Harding (Ethan Hawke), an anthropology professor and struggling novelist, Maggie falls in love for the first time, and adjusts her plans for motherhood. Complicating matters, John is in an unhappy marriage with Georgette Harding (Julianne Moore), an ambitious academic who is driven by her work. With some help from Maggie's best friends, married couple Tony (Bill Hader) and Felicia (Maya Rudolph), Maggie sets in motion a new plan that intertwines their lives and connects them in surprising and humorous ways. Maggie learns that sometimes destiny should be left to its own devices.
The Nice Guys
- Starring: Angourie Rice, Matt Bomer, Russell Crowe,Ryan Gosling
- In 1970s Los Angeles, down-on-his-luck private eye Holland March (Ryan Gosling) and hired enforcer Jackson Healy (Russell Crowe) must work together to solve the case of a missing girl and the seemingly unrelated death of a porn star. During their investigation, they uncover a shocking conspiracy that reaches up to the highest circles of power.
The Walking Dead - Season 6
This season opened with the survivors hunkered down in the Safe Zone, where many of the new episodes are expected to take place. And with it, we can expect producers to delve into the backstory of many of the most elusive characters from last season.
With unrestricted access to Anthony Weiner’s New York City mayoral campaign, this film reveals the human story behind the scenes of a high-profile political scandal as it unfolds, and offers an unfiltered look at how much today’s politics is driven by an appetite for spectacle
Available August 30th
The Huntsman: Winter's War
- Starring: Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth, Emily Blunt,Jessica Chastain
- Long before the evil Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron) was thought vanquished by Snow White’s blade, she watched silently as her sister, Freya (Emily Blunt), suffered a heartbreaking betrayal and fled their kingdom. With Freya’s ability to freeze any enemy, the young ice queen has spent decades in a remote wintry palace raising a legion of deadly huntsmen—including Eric (Chris Hemsworth) and warrior Sara (Jessica Chastain)—only to find that her prized two defied her one demand: Forever harden your hearts to love. When Freya learns of her sister’s demise, she summons her remaining soldiers to bring the Magic Mirror home to the only sorceress left who can harness its power. But once she discovers Ravenna can be resurrected from its golden depths, the wicked sisters threaten this enchanted land with twice the darkest force it’s ever seen. Now,
their amassing army shall prove undefeatable…unless the banished huntsmen who broke their queen’s cardinal rule can fight their way back to one another.
The Jungle Book
- Starring: Ben Kingsley, Bill Murray, Giancarlo Esposito,Idris Elba, Lupita Nyong'o, Neel Sethi, Scarlett Johansson
- Mowgli (Neel Sethi), a man-cub who’s been raised by a family of wolves, finds he is no longer welcome in the jungle when fearsome tiger Shere Khan (voiced by Idris Elba), who bears the scars of Man, promises to eliminate what he sees as a threat. Urged to abandon the only home he’s ever known, Mowgli embarks on a captivating journey of self-discovery, guided by panther-turned-stern mentor Bagheera (voiced by Ben Kingsley), and the free-spirited bear Baloo (voice by Bill Murray). Along the way, Mowgli encounters jungle creatures who don’t exactly have his best interests at heart, including Kaa (voice by Scarlett Johansson), a python whose seductive voice and gaze hypnotizes the man-cub, and the smooth-talking King Louie (voice by Christopher Walken), who tries to coerce Mowgli into giving up the secret to the elusive and deadly red flower: fire.
Me Before You
- Starring: Brendan Coyle, Charles Dance, Emilia Clarke,Janet McTeer, Sam Claflin
- Louisa “Lou” Clark (Emilia Clarke) lives in a quaint town in the English countryside. With no clear direction in her life, the quirky and creative 26-year-old goes from one job to the next in order to help her tight-knit family make ends meet. Her normally cheery outlook is put to the test, however, when she faces her newest career challenge. Taking a job at the local “castle,” she becomes caregiver and companion to Will Traynor (Sam Claflin), a wealthy young banker who became wheelchair bound in an accident two years prior, and whose whole world changed dramatically in the blink of an eye. No longer the adventurous soul he once was, the now cynical Will has all but given up. That is until Lou determines to show him that life is worth living. Embarking together on a series of adventures, both Lou and Will get more than they bargained for, and find
their lives—and hearts—changing in ways neither one could have imagined.
Available September 6th
A Bigger Splash
- Starring: Dakota Johnson, Matthias Schoenaerts, Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton
- The lives of a high profile couple, a famous rock star and a filmmaker (Tilda Swinton and Matthias Schoenaerts), vacationing and recovering on the idyllic sun-drenched and remote Italian island of Pantelleria are disrupted by the unexpected visit of an old friend and his daughter (Ralph Fiennes and Dakota Johnson) - creating a whirlwind of jealousy, passion and, ultimately, danger for everyone involved.
- Starring: David Mazouz, Kevin Bacon, Lucy Fry, Radha Mitchell
- As a family returns home from vacation at the Grand Canyon, they innocently bring home a supernatural force that preys off their own fears and vulnerabilities, threatening to destroy them from within, while consuming their lives with terrifying consequences.
Love & Friendship
- Starring: Chloë Sevigny, Emma Greenwell, Kate Beckinsale, Xavier Samuel
- Set in the opulent drawing rooms of eighteenth-century English society, Love & Friendship focuses on the machinations of a beautiful widow, Lady Susan Vernon (Kate Beckinsale), who, while waiting for social chatter about a personal indiscretion to pass, takes up temporary residence at her in-laws’ estate. While there, the intelligent, flirtatious, and amusingly egotistical Lady Vernon is determined to be a matchmaker for her daughter Frederica—and herself too, naturally. She enlists the assistance of her old friend Alicia (Chloë Sevigny), but two particularly handsome suitors (Xavier Samuel and Tom Bennett) complicate her orchestrations.
- Starring: Dominic West, George Clooney, Jack O'Connell,Julia Roberts
- Lee Gates (George Clooney) is a bombastic TV personality whose popular financial network show has made him the money wiz of Wall Street. But after he hawks a high tech stock that mysteriously crashes, an irate investor (Jack O’Connell) takes Gates, his crew, and his ace producer Patty Fenn (Julia Roberts) hostage live on air. Unfolding in real time, Gates and Fenn must find a way to keep themselves alive while simultaneously uncovering the truth behind a tangle of big money lies.
Available September 13th
Captain America: Civil War
- Starring: Anthony Mackie, Chadwick Boseman, Chris Evans, Don Cheadle, Jeremy Renner, Paul Bettany,Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan
- Captain America: Civil War picks up where Avengers: Age of Ultron left off, as Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain.
This web site is a real find for film buffs. You can find the name of that film you can't quite remember by searching by actor(s) or even by partial title. You can cross-reference by clicking on the actor in the cast list and find a list of all of his movies. Also listed (besides cast) are writers, directors and crew. TV shows are in the database as well. So, last week when I watched an episode of "House" and recognized 2 actors but couldn't remember from where (!) I was able to search (by season and episode list) and find the answers which would normally have either kept me up or come to me in a flash at 2 a.m. Give it a try. [Link] www.imdb.com.