Please note the following:
Most new DVDs are very popular! But don't be discouraged. If you place a hold on a dvd that we own, you will get it before patrons from other libraries.
To place a hold on one of these dvds, just click on the title or the cover art. This will bring you to the catalog record for that film and you can then place your hold.
Also note: Most of our feature film dvds are widescreen editions. If you prefer full screen, you will need to go to a different record in the catalog. But remember, you only get first preference (over patrons from other libraries) on Norfolk dvds.
(Plot synopses and cast lists courtesy of Metacritic.com unless otherwise noted.)
Available in June
Starring: Noah Wyle, Moon Bloodgood, Drew Roy, Connor Jessup, Maxim Knight
Season three of Falling Skies opens seven months after the 2nd Mass arrived in Charleston. In thebeen elected to political office, ason three of
Falling Skies opens seven months after the 2nd Mass arrived in Charleston. In the interim, Tom has been elected to political office, but he has his hands full as the resistance continues to battle the alien invaders.Season three of Falling Skies opens seven months after the 2nd Mass arrived in Charleston. In the interim, Tom has been elected to political office, but he has his hands full as the resistance continues to battle the alien invaders.
- Starring:Abbie Cornish, Douglas Urbanski, Gary Oldman,Jackie Earle Haley, Jay Baruchel, Jennifer Ehle, Joel Kinnaman, Michael K. Williams, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson
- The year is 2028 and multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Overseas, their drones have been used by the military for years, but have been forbidden for law enforcement in America. Now OmniCorp wants to bring their controversial technology to the home front, and they see a golden opportunity to do it. When Alex Murphy (Joel Kinnaman) – a loving husband, father and good cop doing his best to stem the tide of crime and corruption in Detroit – is critically injured, OmniCorp sees their chance to build a part-man, part-robot police officer. OmniCorp envisions a RoboCop in every city and even more billions for their shareholders, but they never counted on one thing: there is still a man inside the machine.
- Starring: Amber Rose Revah, Diogo Morgado
- The life story of Jesus is told from his humble birth through his teachings, crucifixion and resurrection.
Now its sixth unforgettable season, True Blood is HBO's sexy, scary, wildly entertaining series from Oscar- and Emmy-winner Alan Ball (Six Feet Under) and based on the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. In addition to returning TB favorites - led by human/faerie hybrid Sookie (Anna Paquin), her unlikely vampire ally Eric (Alexander Skarsgård), and newly reconstituted supervamp Bill (Stephen Moyer) - Season 6 introduces several jarring storylines that threaten what little sense of normalcy remains in and around Bon Temps. As "Billith" comes to terms with his newfound powers after emerging from a pool of blood at the end of Season 5, Louisiana Governor Truman Burrell (new cast member Arliss Howard) declares open season on vampires, replete with novel anti-vamp weapons and a high-tech internment camp. Meanwhile, Sookie
and Jason steel themselves for an encounter with the killer of their parents: the mysterious and ancient Warlow, whose identity remains a troubling mystery as the season unfolds.
- Starring: Cloris Leachman, Emma Roberts, Evan Peters,John Cusack
- Amy (Emma Roberts) is a naïve, awkward aspiring poet in a post-grad existence that is going nowhere. Living with her parents in a bland upstate New York town, certain of her yet-to-be-acknowledged literary greatness and desperate for income, she begrudgingly accepts a job at Adult World, the local sex shop. Amy balances her work amongst the pornography and sex toys by fiercely pursuing a surefire kick start for her success: a mentorship with reclusive, crusty and alcoholic writer Rat Billings (John Cusack).
- Starring: Chris Pine, Keira Knightley, Kenneth Branagh,Kevin Costner
- Jack Ryan appears to be just another New York executive to his friends and loved ones, but his enlistment into the CIA secretly goes back years. He was brought in as a brainy Ph.D. who crunches global data – but when Ryan ferrets out a meticulously planned scheme to collapse the U.S. economy and spark global chaos, he becomes the only man with the skills to stop it. Now, he’s gone fully operational, thrust into a world of mounting suspicion, deception and deadly force. Caught between his tight-lipped handler Harper, his in-the-dark fiancée Cathy and a brilliant Russian oligarch, Jack must confront a new reality where no one can seem to be trusted, yet the fate of millions rests on his finding the truth. With the urgency of a lit fuse, he’s in a race to stay one step ahead of everyone around him.
The Short Game follows the lives of eight of the best 7-year old golfers in the world as they train for and compete in the World Championships of Junior Golf. The annual tournament held at golfing mecca Pinehurst, North Carolina, brings in 1500 young golfers from 54 different countries and determines who will be crowned golf's next phenomenon.
A 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana begins with Detectives Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson) joining the search in this eight-episode anthology series.
- Starring: Adrien Brody, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, F. Murray Abraham, Harvey Keitel, Jeff Goldblum, Jude Law,Léa Seydoux, Mathieu Amalric, Ralph Fiennes, Saoirse Ronan, Willem Dafoe
- The Grand Budapest Hotel recounts the adventures of M. Gustave, a legendary concierge at a famous European hotel between the wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend. The story involves the theft and recovery of a priceless Renaissance painting and the battle for an enormous family fortune—all against the back-drop of a suddenly and dramatically changing continent.
Francis and Claire Underwood (Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright) use their positions to continue their rise in power even as people seek to bring them down in the second season of the online-only drama series.
- Starring: Nicolas Cage, Tye Sheridan
- An ex-con (Nicholas Cage), who is the unlikeliest of role models, meets a 15-year-old boy (Tye Sheridan) and is faced with the choice of redemption or ruin.
- Starring: Alison Brie, Anthony Daniels,Charlie Day, Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Nick Offerman, Will Arnett, Will Ferrell
- An ordinary LEGO minifigure, mistakenly thought to be the extraordinary MasterBuilder, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil LEGO tyrant from gluing the universe together.
- Starring: Alexander Ludwig, Ben Foster, Emile Hirsch, Eric Bana, Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch,
- On June 28, 2005 mission "Operation Red Wing" tasked four members of SEAL Team 10 to capture or kill notorious Taliban leader, Ahmad Shahd. Only one member of the team survived.
- Starring: Anson Mount, Corey Stoll, Julianne Moore, Liam Neeson, Lupita Nyong'o, Michelle Dockery, Nate Parker,Scoot McNairy
- During a transatlantic flight from New York City to London, U.S. Air Marshal Bill Marks receives a series of cryptic text messages demanding that he instruct the government to transfer $150 million into an off-shore account. Until he secures the money, a passenger on his flight will be killed every 20 minutes.
- Starring: Billy Crudup, Clive Owen, James Caan, Lili Taylor, Marion Cotillard, Matthias Schoenaerts, Mila Kunis,Noah Emmerich, Zoe Saldana
- New York, 1974. Fifty-year-old Chris (Clive Owen) has just been released on good behavior after several years in prison following a gangland murder. Reluctantly waiting for him outside the gates is his younger brother, Frank (Billy Crudup), a cop with a bright future. Chris and Frank have always been different, and their father, Leon (James Caan), who raised them alone, seems to favor Chris despite all his troubles. Yet blood ties are the ones that bind, and Frank, hoping that his brother has changed, is willing to give him a chance—he shares his home, finds him a job, and helps him reconnect with his children and his ex-wife, Monica (Marion Cotillard). But Chris’ inevitable descent back into a life of crime proves to be the last in a long line of betrayals, and after his brother’s latest transgressions, Frank banishes him from his life. But it’s
already too late, as the brothers’ destiny is bound together, forever.
- Starring: Alec Baldwin, Elaine Stritch, James Gandolfini,Tina Fey
- Now in her late 80s, Broadway legend Elaine Stritch remains as ferociously funny as ever. In this bold, hilarious and poignant portrait, the uncompromising Tony and Emmy Award-winner is revealed both on and off stage. Candid reflections about her life are punctuated with words from friends (including James Gandolfini, Tina Fey, John Turturro, Hal Prince, George C. Wolfe, Nathan Lane and Cherry Jones) and archival footage that showcases some of the great moments from her career. Whether dominating the stage, tormenting Alec Baldwin on the set of 30 Rock, or sharing her struggles with aging, diabetes and alcoholism, Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me reaches beyond the icon’s brassy exterior and reveals an inspiring portrait of a complex woman and artist.
- Starring: Isabella Rossellini, Jake Gyllenhaal, Mélanie Laurent, Sarah Gadon
- University lecturer Adam (Jake Gyllenhaal) is nearing the end of a relationship with his girlfriend Mary (Mélanie Laurent). One night, while watching a film, Adam spots a minor actor who looks just like him. Consumed by the desire to meet his double, Adam tracks down Anthony, an actor living with his pregnant wife Helen (Sarah Gadon) and engages him in a complex and dangerous struggle.
- Starring: Andrew Tiernan, Callan Mulvey, David Wenham,Eva Green, Hans Matheson, Jack O'Connell, Lena Headey,Rodrigo Santoro, Sullivan Stapleton, Yigal Naor
- The Greek general Themistocles battles an invading army of Persians led by mortal-turned-god Xerxes, and Artemisia, commander of the Persian navy.
- Starring: Colin Farrell, Jessica Brown Findlay, Russell Crowe, Will Smith, William Hurt
- Set in a mythic New York City and spanning more than a century, Winter's Tale is a story of miracles, crossed destinies, and the age-old battle between good and evil.
Coming July 8th
- Starring: Allison Janney, Jason Bateman, Kathryn Hahn,Rohan Chand
- Guy Trilby (Jason Bateman), a 40-year-old who finds a loophole in the rules of The Golden Quill national spelling bee, decides to cause trouble by hijacking the competition. Contest officials, outraged parents, and overly ambitious 8th graders are no match for Guy, as he ruthlessly crushes their dreams of victory and fame. As a reporter (Kathryn Hahn) attempts to discover his true motivation, Guy finds himself forging an unlikely alliance with a competitor: awkward 10-year-old Chaitanya (Rohan Chand), who is completely unfazed by Guy's take-no-prisoners approach to life. (Delayed - Universal Studios wholesaler embargo)
Starring: Minnie Driver, Meat Loaf, Allie MacDonald
Starry-eyed teenager Camilla Swanson wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a Broadway diva, but she's stuck working in the kitchen of a snobby performing arts camp. Determined to change her destiny, she sneaks in to audition for the summer showcase and lands a lead role in the play, but just as rehearsals begin, blood starts to spill, and Camilla soon finds herself terrified by the horror of musical theatre.
Coming July 15th
Starring: Jason Isaacs, Amanda Abbington
Masterpiece Mystery brings the second BBC adaptation of Kate Atkinson's novels about ex-police-inspector-now-private-eye Jackson Brodie to the US.
Based on Carl Sagan's original Cosmos series, astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts this new version executive produced by Ann Druyan, Steven Soter, and Seth MacFarlane.
- Starring: Colin Firth, Reese Witherspoon
- May 5, 1993. West Memphis, Arkansas. Three young boys playing in the nearby woods never come home for dinner. In the rush to find and convict the killers, police focus on a trio of teenagers suspected of devil worship. As the mother (Reese Witherspoon) of one of the murdered boys tries to come to grips with this unspeakable tragedy, she is desperate to believe that the killers have been found and will be brought to justice. It is only when an investigator (Colin Firth) reveals that the evidence doesn’t all add up, that the community is forced to face the reality that the true killer might still be out there.
Starring: Ed Harris, Annette Bening, Robin Williams
Five years after the death of her beloved husband Garrett (Ed Harris), Nikki (Annette Bening) meets a man who seems his exact duplicate. Not only does this stranger possess the same deeply lined face and startling blue eyes, he also shares Garrett's kindness, humor, and passion for art. And yet he is a stranger. Romance blossoms between Nikki and this alluring doppelgänger, but she can't bring herself to tell him the truth about what drew her to him. So she hides her photos and prevents him from meeting friends and family, but it isn't a question of if the truth will come out, but when.
Season 2 of the BBC America dramatic conspiracy thriller Orphan Black sees Sarah (Tatiana Maslany) in a desperate race to find her missing daughter. The wild pursuit brings her head-to-head with ruthless clone Rachel (Maslany), and Sarah, along with her clone sisters Alison (Maslany) and Cosima (Maslany), struggle to pick up the pieces of their broken lives while dealing with the harsh reality that no one around them can be trusted.
- Starring: Andy Garcia, Jemaine Clement, Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway
- Blu, Jewel and their three kids live the perfect domesticated life in the magical city that is Rio de Janeiro. When Jewel decides the kids need to learn to live like real birds, she insists the family venture into the Amazon. As Blu tries to fit in with his new neighbors, he worries he may lose Jewel and the kids to the call of the wild.
- Starring: Scarlett Johansson
- An alien seductress (Scarlett Johansson) preys upon hitchhikers in Scotland.
HBO delivers a new season of the Emmy-winning comedy series created by Armando Iannucci (Oscar nominee for co-writing In the Loop) that takes a sharp, satirical look at the insular world of Washington politics. Veep follows the whirlwind day-to-day existence of Vice President Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus in her Emmy-winning role) as she juggles her busy public schedule, puts out political fires, and defends the president’s interests, even as she tries to improve her dysfunctional relationship with the chief executive. Over the course of ten Season 2 episodes, Veep hilariously skewers the nuances of everyday office politics – set against the backdrop of the second highest office in the land.
- Starring: Bill Burr, Elizabeth Banks, Ethan Suplee, Gillian Jacobs, James Marsden, Kevin Nealon, Oliver Hudson,Sarah Wright, Tig Notaro, Willie Garson
- A reporter's dream of becoming a news anchor is compromised after a one-night stand leaves her stranded in downtown L.A. without a phone, car, ID or money and only 8 hours to make it to the most important job interview of her life.
Coming July 22nd
- Starring: Cillian Murphy, Johnny Depp, Morgan Freeman,Rebecca Hall
- Dr. Will Caster (Depp) is the foremost researcher in the field of Artificial Intelligence, working to create a sentient machine that combines the collective intelligence of everything ever known with the full range of human emotions. His highly controversial experiments have made him famous, but they have also made him the prime target of anti-technology extremists who will do whatever it takes to stop him. However, in their attempt to destroy Will, they inadvertently become the catalyst for him to succeed—to be a participant in his own transcendence. For his wife Evelyn (Hall) and best friend Max Waters (Paul Bettany), both fellow researchers, the question is not if they can, but if they should. Their worst fears are realized as Will’s thirst for knowledge evolves into a seemingly omnipresent quest for power, to what end is unknown. The only thing
that is becoming terrifyingly clear is there may be no way to stop him.
Todd (Greg Kinnear) and Sonja (Kelly Reilly) Burpo's son, Colton (Connor Corum), claims to have visited heaven during a near death experience. Colton recounts the details of his amazing journey with childlike innocence and speaks matter-of-factly about things that happened before his birth—things he couldn't possibly know. Todd and his family are then challenged to examine the meaning from this remarkable event.
Coming July 29th
The Angriest Man in Brooklyn
- Starring: Melissa Leo, Mila Kunis, Peter Dinklage, Robin Williams
- Some people have bad days. Henry Altmann (Robin Williams) has one every day. Always unhappy and angry at the world including everyone in it, Henry sits impatiently at the doctor’s office when he is finally seen by Dr. Sharon Gill (Mila Kunis). Sharon, who is enduring her own bad day, reveals that Henry has a brain aneurysm. This news makes Henry even angrier, yelling at Sharon he demands to know how much time he has left. Faced with Henry’s anger and insults, Sharon abruptly tells him he has only 90 minutes. Shocked and reeling by this news, Henry storms out of the office leaving Sharon stunned by what she has just done in a lapse of judgment. As Sharon goes on a city-wide search, Henry struggles with his diagnosis, determined to make amends with everyone he has hurt in his life.
- Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Emma Watson, Jennifer Connelly, Logan Lerman, Nick Nolte, Russell Crowe
- The epic, biblical tale of Noah and the ark.
The Other Woman
- Starring: Cameron Diaz, Kate Upton, Leslie Mann, Nikolaj Coster Waldau
- After discovering her boyfriend is married, a woman (Cameron Diaz) tries to get her ruined life back on track. But when she accidentally meets the wife he’s been cheating on (Leslie Mann), she realizes they have much in common, and her sworn enemy becomes her greatest friend. When yet another affair is discovered (Kate Upton), all three women team up to plot mutual revenge on the cheating, lying, three-timing SOB.
Coming August 5th
- Starring: Jai Courtney, Kate Winslet, Shailene Woodley,Theo James
- In a world where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues, Tris Prior is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction leader to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust in the mysterious Four and together they must find out what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late.
Need for Speed
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Dakota Johnson, Dominic Cooper, Imogen Poots, Michael Keaton, Rami Malek, Ramon Rodriguez
- Framed for a crime he didn't commit, muscle car mechanic and street racer Tobey Marshall (Aaron Paul) gets out of prison determined to get revenge on the man responsible for his false conviction.
- Starring: Brenton Thwaites, Karen Gillan, Katee Sackhoff
- Ten years ago, tragedy struck the Russell family, leaving the lives of teenage siblings Tim and Kaylie forever changed when Tim was convicted of the brutal murder of their parents. Now in his 20s, Tim is newly released from protective custody and only wants to move on with his life; but Kaylie, still haunted by that fateful night, is convinced her parents’ deaths were caused by something else altogether: a malevolent supernatural force—unleashed through the Lasser Glass, an antique mirror in their childhood home. Determined to prove Tim’s innocence, Kaylie tracks down the mirror, only to learn similar deaths have befallen previous owners over the past century. With the mysterious entity now back in their hands, Tim and Kaylie soon find their hold on reality shattered by terrifying hallucinations, and realize, too late, that their childhood
nightmare is beginning again.
Ping Pong Summer
- Starring: Amy Sedaris, John Hannah, Judah Friedlander,ea Thompson, Marcello Conte, Susan Sarandon
- The year is 1985. Rad Miracle is a shy 13-year-old white kid who’s obsessed with two things: ping pong and hip hop. During his family’s annual summer vacation to Ocean City, Maryland, Rad makes a new best friend, experiences his first real crush, becomes the target of rich local bullies, and finds an unexpected mentor in his outcast next-door neighbor. Ping Pong Summer is about that time in your life when you’re treated like an alien by everyone around you, even though you know deep down you’re as funky fresh as it gets.
Coming August 12th
- Starring: Amy Ryan, Felicity Jones, Guy Pearce,Mackenzie Davis, Matthew Daddario
- When a foreign exchange student arrives in a small upstate New York town, she challenges the dynamics of her host family's relationships and alters their lives forever.
Detective Sergeant Bruce Robertson (James McAvoy) wants a promotion. He is clearly the best man for the job—the rest of his colleagues are just idiots. Annoyingly, there's been a murder and Bruce's boss wants results. No problem for Bruce. He's in control, and when he solves the case and wins the promotion, his wife will return to him. No problem, right?
- Starring: Guy Pearce, Hailee Steinfeld, Kristen Wiig, Nick Nolte
- Johanna Parry (Kristen Wiig), a quiet caregiver, starts a new job working for an elderly Mr. McCauley (Nick Nolte) and his teenage granddaughter Sabitha (Hailee Steinfeld). A cruel trick by Sabitha lands Johanna in an awkward one-way relationship with Ken (Guy Pearce), Sabitha's estranged father but her newfound ambition and desire gives her courage to transform her awkward doom into real contentment.
- Starring: Tom Hardy
- Ivan Locke has worked hard to craft a good life for himself. With one phone call, that life will collapse around him.
Muppets Most Wanted
- Starring: Eric Jacobson, Ricky Gervais, Steve Whitmire,Tina Fey, Ty Burrell
- Muppets Most Wanted takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour, selling out grand theaters in some of Europe’s most exciting destinations, including Berlin, Madrid and London. But mayhem follows the Muppets overseas, as they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper.
- Starring: Colin Firth, Hiroyuki Sanada, Jeremy Irvine, Nicole Kidman, Stellan Skarsgård
- Eric Lomax, a World War II British Army officer who was captured and forced to work on the notorious Death Railway, sets out to find those responsible for his torture.
Coming August 19th
The Amazing Spiderman 2
- Starring: Andrew Garfield, Denis Leary, Emma Stone,Jamie Foxx, Martin Sheen, Paul Giamatti, Sally Field
- It’s great to be Spider-Man. For Peter Parker, there’s no feeling quite like swinging between skyscrapers, embracing being the hero, and spending time with Gwen. But being Spider-Man comes at a price: only Spider-Man can protect his fellow New Yorkers from the formidable villains that threaten the city. With the emergence of Electro, Peter must confront a foe far more powerful than he. And as his old friend, Harry Osborn, returns, Peter comes to realize that all of his enemies have one thing in common: Oscorp.
- Starring: John Turturro, Sharon Stone, Sofía Vergara,Woody Allen
- Fioravante decides to become a professional Don Juan as a way of making money to help his cash-strapped friend, Murray. With Murray acting as his "manager", the duo quickly finds themselves caught up in the crosscurrents of love and money.
Only Lovers Left Alive
- Starring: Anton Yelchin, Jeffrey Wright, John Hurt, Mia Wasikowska, Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston
- Adam and Eve have been lovers for centuries. Both are cultured intellectuals with an all-embracing passion for music, literature and science, who have evolved to a level where they no longer kill for sustenance, but still retain their innate wildness. Adam, a reclusive underground musician hiding out in the ruins of contemporary Detroit, despairs about human civilization’s decline, and worries about future survival. Eve, who is perhaps 3000 years old to Adam’s 500, takes a longer view of history and is more optimistic. She leaves her home in the ancient city of Tangier to come to his side. As blood has been tainted by the zombies (humans), the formerly immortal Adam and Eve must secure uncontaminated blood from hospitals or they will perish. Eve’s close friend, Christopher Marlowe, is an elder vampire who provides Eve with hospital blood. Adam gets
his supply from Dr. Watson, a skittish hematologist who provides safe blood at a price. Adam and Eve’s precarious footing is further threatened by the uninvited arrival of Eve’s carefree and uncontrollable little sister Ava. Unlike Adam and Eve, Ava hasn’t yet learned to tame her wilder instincts, and her recklessness concerns Adam.
Coming August 26th
Germany, 1912. A graduate of humble origins takes up a clerical post in a steel factory. Impressed by his work the elderly owner takes him on as his private secretary. His health declining, the owner is confined to his home, where the young man moves to continue his work. There he meets the owner’s wife, a much younger woman, beautiful and reserved. As time passes the young man falls passionately in love but does not dare reveal his feelings. A romantic intrigue develops in this stifling bourgeois home, all looks and silences, without a single word or gesture of love. When the owner announces he is sending his secretary to oversee his mines in Mexico, the wife’s stricken reaction reveals to the young man that she too has fallen secretly in love - a love she cannot express in the presence of her sick husband. She makes him a promise -
when he returns in two years time, she will be his. Separated by an ocean, they exchange passionate letters while awaiting the day that will reunite them. Then, on the verge of his return to Germany, World War 1 erupts. All maritime travel between South America and Europe is suspended. His beloved pines, awaiting his return. Eight years later, with millions dead and Europe in ruins, the exile returns, to his homeland and to the woman he hopes has been waiting for him. But has their love survived the brutal passage of time?
- Starring: Emily Watson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Matthew Goode, Miranda Richardson, Tom Wilkinson
- Belle is inspired by the true story of Dido Elizabeth Belle the illegitimate mixed race daughter of Admiral John Lindsay. Raised by her aristocratic great-uncle Lord Mansfield and his wife, Belle's lineage affords her certain privileges, yet her status prevents her from the traditions of noble social standing. While her cousin Elizabeth chases suitors for marriage, Belle is left on the sidelines wondering if she will ever find love. After meeting an idealistic young vicar's son bent on changing society, he and Belle help shape Lord Mansfield's role as Lord Chief Justice to end slavery in England.
- Starring: Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore, Joel McHale,Kevin Nealon, Terry Crews, Wendi McLendon-Covey
- After a disastrous blind date, single parents Lauren and Jim agree on only one thing: they never want to see each other again. But when they each sign up separately for a fabulous family vacation with their kids, they are all stuck sharing a suite at a luxurious African safari resort for a week.
- Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Mia Wasikowska, Noah Taylor,Wallace Shawn, Yasmin Paige
- The life of Simon (Jesse Eisenberg), a timid, isolated man who’s overlooked at work, scorned by his mother, and ignored by the woman of his dreams (Mia Wasikowska) is turned upside down with the arrival of a new co-worker, James. James is both Simon's exact physical double and his opposite - confident, charismatic and good with women. To Simon's horror, James slowly starts taking over his life.
The Love Punch
When their retirement nest egg is wiped out, Richard (Pierce Brosnan) and Kate (Emma Thompson), a divorced couple whose banter suggests that the flames of their former relationship have not been fully extinguished, scheme to steal a $10 million diamond from the French financier who defrauded them. Roped in to assist in the heist are the couple’s former neighbors (Timothy Spall and Celia Imrie) who are also rooting for the couple's reconciliation.
The Normal Heart
Ryan Murphy's adaptation of Larry Kramer's Tony-winning play about the early days of the AIDS crisis. After seeing a friend succumb to a new disease killing gay men at the offices of Dr. Emma Brookner (Julia Roberts), Ned Weeks (Mark Ruffalo) seeks to organize more action to combat it, even as his bluntness threatens to alienate people around him including his brother Ben (Alfred Molina), his lover Felix (Matt Bomer), and Bruce Niles (Taylor Kitsch), a closeted investment banker.
- Starring: Allison Janney, Amanda Peet, Clark Gregg,Felicity Huffman, Molly Shannon, Niecy Nash, Sam Rockwell, William H. Macy
- Howard Holloway, a former child star now struggling agent for child actors, spends years losing his most talented clients to his slick, arch-nemesis Aldo Shocklee.
The Walking Dead - Season 4
In this highly anticipated new season, we see Rick and the group of survivors fostering a thriving community in the safe haven of the prison. Sadly, in this brutal world, happiness is short-lived and walkers and outside threats are no match for danger brewing inside the fences. The group’s home and new way of life will be thoroughly tested, and their struggle to survive has never been so perilous. Season 4 also introduces several new characters including Bob Stookey (Lawrence Gilliard Jr., The Wire).
Coming September 2nd
- Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Denis Leary, Frank Langella, Jennifer Garner, Kevin Costner, Sam Elliott
- On the day of the NFL Draft, general manager Sonny Weaver (Kevin Costner) has the opportunity to save football in Cleveland when he trades for the number one pick. He must quickly decide what he's willing to sacrifice in pursuit of perfection as the lines between his personal andprofessional life become blurred on a life-changing day for a few hundred young men with dreams of playing in the NFL.
- Starring: Dakota Fanning, Jesse Eisenberg, Peter Sarsgaard
- As organic farmer Josh (Jesse Eisenberg), high society dropout Dena (Dakota Fanning) and ex-Marine Harmon (Peter Sarsgaard) plan, carry out and then witness the fallout of an attention-grabbing act of sabotage, they find their own personal limits tested.
They Came Together
- Starring: Amy Poehler, Bill Hader, Christopher Meloni,Cobie Smulders, Paul Rudd
- Joel (Paul Rudd), a candy company executive, threatens to close down Molly's (Amy Poehler) mom-and-pop candy store, but the unlikely pair begin to fall in love.
Coming September 9th
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Starring: Anthony Mackie, Chris Evans, Cobie Smulders, Hayley Atwell, Robert Redford, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan
- After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, lives quietly in Washington, D.C. trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy.
- Starring: Michele Simon
- Far more of us get sick from what we eat than anyone has ever realized. This potent exposé uncovers the food industry’s dirty secrets. This exploration reveals how, in the wake of media attention, public fascination with appearance and government policies pushing for change, generations of Americans will live shorter lives.
Homeland - Season 3
- Starring: Emma Roberts, Jack Kilmer, James Franco, Nat Wolff, Zoe Levin
- Shy, sensitive April (Emma Roberts) is the class virgin—a popular soccer player and frequent babysitter for her single-dad coach, Mr. B. (James Franco). Teddy (Jack Kilmer) is an introspective artist whose best friend and sidekick Fred (Nat Wolff) is an unpredictable live wire with few filters or boundaries. While April negotiates a dangerous affair with Mr. B., and Teddy performs community service for a DUI—secretly carrying a torch for April, who may or may not share his affection—Fred seduces Emily (Zoe Levin), a promiscuous loner who seeks validation through sexual encounters. One high-school party bleeds into another as April and Teddy finally acknowledge their mutual affection, and Fred's escalating recklessness spirals into chaos.
Words and Pictures
- Starring: Amy Brenneman, Bruce Davison, Clive Owen,Juliette Binoche
- Prep school English teacher Jack Marcus (Clive Owen) laments his students' obsession with social media and good grades rather than engaging with the power of the written word. A one-time literary star, Jack has not published in years filling his spare time with drink versus the art of language. He meets his match in Dina Delsanto (Juliette Binoche)—an abstract painter and new teacher on campus, who was once celebrated for her art. From the start, the two flirt and provoke each other with equal relish. With a performance review looming and his teaching job on the line, Jack hatches an inspired plan for galvanizing student interest in their studies: he declares a war between Words and Pictures, confident that the former can convey greater meaning than the latter. Dina and her art students accept the challenge between Jack and his English students, and
the battle lines are drawn.
Coming September 16th
The Fault in Our Stars
- Starring: Ansel Elgort, Laura Dern, Nat Wolff, Sam Trammell, Shailene Woodley, Willem Dafoe
- Hazel (Shailene Woodley) and Gus (Ansel Elgort) are two extraordinary teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that takes them on an unforgettable journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous, given that they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.
- Starring: Aaron Johnson, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins
- The world’s most revered monster is reborn in a powerful story of human courage and reconciliation in the face of titanic forces of nature, when the awe-inspiring Godzilla rises to restore balance as humanity stands defenseless.
Coming September 23rd
- Starring: Lisa Kudrow, Rose Byrne, Seth Rogen, Zac Efron
- A young couple with a newborn baby face unexpected difficulties after they are forced to live next to a fraternity house.
Coming September 30th
Cold In July
- Starring: Don Johnson, Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard,Vinessa Shaw
- How can a split-second decision change your life? While investigating noises in his house one balmy Texas night in 1989, Richard Dane puts a bullet in the brain of a low-life burglar, Freddy Russell. Although he’s hailed as a small-town hero, Dane soon finds himself fearing for his family’s safety when Freddy’s ex-con father, Ben, rolls into town; hell-bent on revenge. However, not all is as it seems. Shortly after Dane kills the home intruder, his life begins to unravel into a dark underworld of corruption and violence. Twists and turns continue to pile up as the film reaches its inevitable destination: a gore-soaked dead end.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Deke Garner, Jonny Mars, Josh Wiggins, Juliette Lewis
- Hard-drinking Texas single dad Hollis (Aaron Paul) struggles to raise his two boys, including rebellious teenager Jacob (Josh Wiggins). Seething with anger, Jacob finds release in the high-risk, white-knuckle world of motocross—but his increasingly reckless behavior threatens to spin out of control.
A rock journalist (Toni Collette) is assigned to track down her ex-boyfriend.
- Starring: Adrien Brody, James Franco, Kim Basinger, Liam Neeson, Maria Bello, Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde
- Three interlocking love stories involving three couples in three cities: Rome, Paris, and New York.
This web site is a real find for film buffs. You can find the name of that film you can't quite remember by searching by actor(s) or even by partial title. You can cross-reference by clicking on the actor in the cast list and find a list of all of his movies. Also listed (besides cast) are writers, directors and crew. TV shows are in the database as well. So, last week when I watched an episode of "House" and recognized 2 actors but couldn't remember from where (!) I was able to search (by season and episode list) and find the answers which would normally have either kept me up or come to me in a flash at 2 a.m. Give it a try. [Link] www.imdb.com.