Please note the following:
Most new DVDs are very popular! But don't be discouraged. If you place a hold on a dvd that we own, you will get it before patrons from other libraries.
To place a hold on one of these dvds, just click on the title or the cover art. This will bring you to the catalog record for that film and you can then place your hold.
Also note: Most of our feature film dvds are widescreen editions. If you prefer full screen, you will need to go to a different record in the catalog. But remember, you only get first preference (over patrons from other libraries) on Norfolk dvds.
(Plot synopses and cast lists courtesy of Metacritic.com unless otherwise noted.)
Available in May
- Starring: Alexandra Daddario, Benjamin Walker, Maggie Grace, Teresa Palmer, Tom Welling
- Travis Shaw (Benjamin Walker) and Gabby Holland (Teresa Palmer) meet as neighbors in a small coastal town and end up pursuing a relationship that neither could have foreseen. Spanning a decade and tracing the evolution of a love affair that is ultimately tested by life's most defining events, this story culminates in the question that every couple must ask themselves: how far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?
Years of working in the food industry have made Juana’s hands fast—very fast. She can slice and dice anything you throw at her with great speed and precision. Forced to give up her fruit-vending cart in order to find a more secure job, Juana lands a position as a kitchen assistant at a local Japanese restaurant. It is there she discovers a new friendship and a whole new world of cuisine and culture, far-removed from everything she has ever known. While working in the restaurant’s kitchen, Juana secretly observes the sushi chefs and eventually teaches herself to make a multitude of sushi. Her creativity sparked, Juana’s re-ignited passion for food drives her to want more from her job and her life. Eventually she attempts to
become a sushi chef, but is unable to because she is the “wrong” race and gender. Against all odds, she embarks on a journey of self-discovery, determined to not let anyone stop her from achieving her dream.
- Starring: Chloë Grace Moretz,Gabriela Lopez, Maggie Siff, Matthew Zuk, Nick Robinson,Ron Livingston
- Four waves of increasingly deadly attacks have left most of Earth decimated. Against a backdrop of fear and distrust, Cassie (Chloë Grace Moretz) is on the run, desperately trying to save her younger brother. As she prepares for the inevitable and lethal 5th wave, Cassie teams up with a young man who may become her final hope - if she can only trust him.
- Starring: Bradley Cooper, Diane Ladd,Édgar Ramírez, Isabella Rossellini, Jennifer Lawrence,
- Robert De Niro, Susan Lucci, Virginia Madsen
- Joy is the wild story of a family across four generations centered on the girl who becomes the woman who founds a business dynasty and becomes a matriarch in her own right. Betrayal, treachery, the loss of innocence and the scars of love, pave the road in this intense emotional and human comedy about becoming a true boss of family and enterprise facing a world of unforgiving commerce. Allies become adversaries and adversaries become allies, both inside and outside the family, as Joy’s inner life and fierce imagination carry her through the storm she faces.
Zev Guttman (Christopher Plummer), a 90-year-old struggling with memory loss, is living out his final years in a serene retirement home. A week following the death of his beloved wife Ruth, he suddenly gets a mysterious package from his close friend Max (Martin Landau), containing a stack of money and a letter detailing a shocking plan. Both Zev and Max were prisoners in Auschwitz, and the same sadistic guard was responsible for the death of both their families—a guard who, immediately after the war, escaped Germany and has been living in the U.S. ever since under an assumed identity. Max is wheelchair-bound but in full command of his mental faculties; with his guidance, Zev will embark on a cross-continental road-trip to bring justice once and for all to the man who destroyed both their lives.
- Starring: Ed Skrein, Morena Baccarin, Ryan Reynolds,T.J. Miller
- Based upon the Marvel Comics anti-hero, Deadpool is the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with new abilities and a dark and twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life. [
- Starring: Aubrey Plaza, Dermot Mulroney, Julianne Hough,Robert De Niro, Zac Efron, Zoey Deutch
- Jason Kelly (Zac Efron) is one week away from marrying his boss’s uber-controlling daughter, putting him on the fast track for a partnership at the law firm. However, when the straight-laced Jason is tricked into driving his foul-mouthed grandfather, Dick (Robert De Niro), to Daytona for spring break, his pending nuptials are suddenly in jeopardy. Between riotous frat parties, bar fights, and an epic night of karaoke, Dick is on a quest to live his life to the fullest and bring Jason along for the ride. Ultimately, on the wildest journey of their lives, “dirty” Grandpa and his uptight grandson discover they can learn from one another and form the bond they never had.
- Starring: Ben Foster, Chris O'Dowd, Guillaume Canet,Jesse Plemons, Lee Pace
- The world needs heroes and Lance Armstrong (Ben Foster) was the ultimate sporting hero. Following a gruelling battle with cancer, Lance returned to his cycling career in 1999 more determined than ever and with his sights set firmly on winning the Tour de France. With the help of the infamous Italian physician Michele Ferrari and team director Johan Bruyneel, he developed the most sophisticated doping program in the history of the sport. This program allowed Lance and his American teammates to dominate the world of cycling, winning the Tour an unprecedented seven times. However not everyone believed the fairytale. Sunday Times journalist, David Walsh (Chris O'Dowd), at first charmed by Lance’s charisma and talent, soon began to question whether the ‘world’s greatest athlete’ was ‘clean’. Walsh sought to unveil the truth, his ensuing battle with
Armstrong risked his own career, ostracised him from the cycling community and cost his paper, The Sunday Times, hundreds of thousands in legal costs. But the indefatigable Walsh eventually uncovered the truth when a select few prepared to talk came forward, exposing one of the greatest deceptions of our time.
- Starring: Michael Moore
- Where to Invade Next is an expansive, rib-tickling, and subversive comedy in which Moore, playing the role of "invader," visits a host of nations to learn how the U.S. could improve its own prospects. The creator of Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine is back with this hilarious and eye-opening call to arms. Turns out the solutions to America's most entrenched problems already existed in the world - they're just waiting to be co-opted.
- Starring: Anya Taylor-Joy, Harvey Scrimshaw, Julian Richings, Kate Dickie, Ralph Ineson
- New England, 1630. Upon threat of banishment by the church, an English farmer leaves his colonial plantation, relocating his wife and five children to a remote plot of land on the edge of an ominous forest - within which lurks an unknown evil. Strange and unsettling things begin to happen almost immediately - animals turn malevolent, crops fail, and one child disappears as another becomes seemingly possessed by an evil spirit. With suspicion and paranoia mounting, family members accuse teenage daughter Thomasin of witchcraft, charges she adamantly denies. As circumstances grow more treacherous, each family member's faith, loyalty and love become tested in shocking and unforgettable ways.
- Starring: Ben Foster, Casey Affleck, Chris Pine, Eric Bana
- On February 18, 1952, a massive nor’easter struck New England, pummeling towns along the Eastern seaboard and wreaking havoc on the ships caught in its deadly path, including the SS Pendleton, a T-2 oil tanker bound for Boston, which was literally ripped in half, trapping more than 30 sailors inside its rapidly-sinking stern. As the senior officer on board, first assistant engineer Ray Sybert (Casey Affleck) soon realizes it is up to him to take charge of the frightened crew and inspire the men to set aside their differences and work together to ride out one of the worst storms to ever hit the East Coast. Meanwhile, as word of the disaster reaches the U.S. Coast Guard station in Chatham, Massachusetts, Warrant Officer Daniel Cluff (Eric Bana) orders a daring operation to rescue the stranded men. Despite overwhelming odds, four men, led by Coast Guard
Captain Bernie Webber (Chris Pine), set out in a wooden lifeboat with an ill-equipped engine and little, if any, means of navigation, facing frigid temperatures, 60-foot high waves and hurricane-force winds. (Based on the book by local author Michael Tougias.)
- Starring: Alison Brie, Dakota Johnson, Leslie Mann, Rebel Wilson
- There’s a right way to be single, a wrong way to be single, and then…there’s Alice. And Robin. Lucy. Meg. Tom. David. New York City is full of lonely hearts seeking the right match, be it a love connection, a hook-up, or something in the middle. And somewhere between the teasing texts and one-night stands, what these unmarrieds all have in common is the need to learn how to be single in a world filled with ever-evolving definitions of love. Sleeping around in the city that never sleeps was never so much fun.
- Starring: Adam Scott, Conchata Ferrell,David Koechner, Emjay Anthony, Krista Stadler, Toni Collette
- When his dysfunctional family clashes over the holidays, young Max (Emjay Anthony) is disillusioned and turns his back on Christmas. Little does he know, this lack of festive spirit has unleashed the wrath of Krampus: a demonic force of ancient evil intent on punishing non-believers. All hell breaks loose as beloved holiday icons take on a monstrous life of their own, laying siege to the fractured family’s home and forcing them to fight for each other if they hope to survive.
- Starring: Benjamin Bratt, Bruce McGill, Ice Cube, Ken Jeong, Kevin Hart, Olivia Munn, Tika Sumpter
- As his wedding day approaches, Ben (Kevin Hart) heads to Miami with his soon-to-be brother-in-law James (Ice Cube) to bring down a drug dealer (Benjamin Bratt).
- Starring: Ben Stiller, Kristen Wiig, Owen Wilson, Penélope Cruz, Will Ferrell
- Derek (Ben Stiller) and Hansel (Owen Wilson) are modeling again when an opposing company attempts to take them out of the business.
Call the Midwife - Season 5
In this series, Sister Monica Joan goes missing at Christmas time leaving the nuns and nurses distraught. Trixie, having battled through her issues with alcohol finds a new purposein her keep fit classes. And could friendship blossom into something more for vicar Tom Hereward and Barbara? Meanwhile, a string of babies born with severe and devastating deformities casts a dark shadow over the entire team as they struggle to understand why.
- Starring: Bella Heathcote, Douglas Booth, Jack Huston,Lily James, Sam Riley
- Jane Austen's classic tale of the tangled relationships between lovers from different social classes in 19th century England is faced with a new challenge -- an army of undead zombies.
- Starring: Carice van Houten, Eli Goree, Jason Sudeikis,Shanice Banton, Stephan James
- Jesse Owens' quest to become the greatest track and field athlete in history thrusts him onto the world stage of the 1936 Olympics, where he faces off against Adolf Hitler’s vision of Aryan supremacy.
Available June 7th
- Starring: David Thewlis, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tom Noonan
- Michael Stone, an author of books on the subject of customer service, struggles to connect with people. One night, while on a routine business trip, he meets Lisa, a stranger with a unique voice.
- Starring: Ben Robson, Diana Hardcastle, James Russell,Jim Norton, Lauren Cohan, Rupert Evans
- Greta is a young American woman who takes a job as a nanny in a remote English village, only to discover that the family’s 8-year-old is a life-sized doll that the parents care for just like a real boy, as a way to cope with the death of their actual son 20 years prior. After violating a list of strict rules, a series of disturbing and inexplicable events bring Greta’s worst nightmare to life, leading her to believe that the doll is actually alive.
- Starring: Brenton Thwaites, Chadwick Boseman, Geoffrey Rush, Gerard Butler, Nikolaj Coster Waldau
- The survival of mankind hangs in the balance as an unexpected mortal hero Bek (Brenton Thwaites) undertakes a thrilling journey to save the world and rescue his true love. In order to succeed, he must enlist the help of the powerful god Horus (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) in an unlikely alliance against Set (Gerard Butler), the merciless god of darkness, who has usurped Egypt's throne, plunging the once peaceful and prosperous empire into chaos and conflict. As their breathtaking battle against Set and his henchmen takes them into the afterlife and across the heavens, both god and mortal must pass tests of courage and sacrifice if they hope to prevail in the epic final confrontation.
- Starring: Sam Waterston, Martin Sheen, Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda
- Long-time adversaries Grace (Jane Fonda) and Frankie (Lily Tomlin) are unexpectedly brought together when their husbands (Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson) fall in love with each other.
- Starring: Alden Ehrenreich, Channing Tatum, Frances McDormand, George Clooney, Jonah Hill, Josh Brolin,Ralph Fiennes, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton
- Set during the latter years of Hollywood’s Golden Age, Hail, Caesar! follows a single day in the life of a studio fixer who is presented with plenty of problems to fix.
- Starring: Jeremy Sisto, Logan Creran, Sarah Wayne Callies, Sofia Rosinsky
- A family lives an idyllic existence abroad until a tragic accident takes the life of their young son. The inconsolable mother learns of an ancient ritual that will bring him back to say a final goodbye. She travels to an ancient temple, where a door serves as a mysterious portal between two worlds. But when she disobeys a sacred warning to never open that door, she upsets the balance between life and death.
- Starring: Anna Kendrick, James Ransone, Sam Rockwell,The RZA, Tim Roth
- Hyperactive at the best of times, Martha (Anna Kendrick) has gone full-on manic since her latest breakup. She babbles, parties like a monster, cooks everything in sight - and is looking to do something terrible when she meets Francis (Sam Rockwell). To anyone else, Francis's approach would come across as creepy, but Martha can't help but be intrigued. They seem a perfect match: she's bananas, he's bananas... except he's a deadly sort of bananas. He's a professional assassin. Francis is a hitman with a cause: he unexpectedly kills the people ordering the hits. Just as Martha begins to realize her new beau wasn't joking when he said he had to step out for a moment to shoot someone, things start heating up for Francis. His services are solicited by a dubious client who's being sought by an equally dubious FBI agent (Tim Roth). As the bodies pile up, Martha
needs to decide whether to flee or join in the mayhem.
- Starring:David Denman,James Badge Dale, John Krasinski, Max Martini, Pablo Schreiber, Toby Stephens
- An American Ambassador is killed during an attack at a U.S. compound in Libya as a security team struggles to make sense out of the chaos.
- Starring: Alex Manette, Bruce Altman, Christine Lahti,Daniel Gerroll, Edward Gelbinovich, Griffin Dunne, Katie Holmes, Luke Kirby,
- Two poets (Katie Homes and Luke Kirby) with bipolar disorder meet in a treatment facility, and their chemistry is instant and intense, driving each other's mania to new heights. They pursue their passion which breaks outside the bounds of sanity, swinging them from fantastical highs to tormented lows until they ultimately must choose between sanity and love.
The modern mammal metropolis of Zootopia is a city like no other. Comprised of habitat neighborhoods like ritzy Sahara Square and frigid Tundratown, it’s a melting pot where animals from every environment live together—a place where no matter what you are, from the biggest elephant to the smallest shrew, you can be anything. But when optimistic Officer Judy Hopps arrives, she discovers that being the first bunny on a police force of big, tough animals isn’t so easy. Determined to prove herself, she jumps at the opportunity to crack a case, even if it means partnering with a fast-talking, scam-artist fox, Nick Wilde, to solve the mystery.
Available June 14th
- Starring: Hugh Jackman, Taron Egerton
- Inspired by true events, Eddie the Eagle is a feel-good story about Michael “Eddie” Edwards (Taron Egerton), an unlikely but courageous British ski-jumper who never stopped believing in himself – even as an entire nation was counting him out. With the help of a rebellious and charismatic coach (Hugh Jackman), Eddie takes on the establishment and wins the hearts of sports fans around the world by making an improbable and historic showing at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics.
- Starring: Charlotte Rampling, Tom Courtenay
- There is just one week until Kate Mercer's (Charlotte Rampling) 45th wedding anniversary and the planning for the party is going well. But then a letter arrives for her husband (Tom Courtenay). The body of his first love has been discovered, frozen and preserved in the icy glaciers of the Swiss Alps. By the time the party is upon them, five days later, there may not be a marriage left to celebrate.
- Starring: Elizabeth Reaser, Kumail Nanjiani, Max Greenfield, Natasha Lyonne, Sally Field, Tyne Daly, Wendi McLendon-Covey
- When Doris Miller (Sally Field) meets John Fremont (Max Greenfield), her company’s hip new art director, sparks fly—at least for Doris. Her first encounter with true romance (outside of the pages of a novel) convinces Doris that she and the mostly unaware John are meant for each other. In the cluttered house she shared with her late mother, Doris mines the Internet for information on her one-and-only, guided by the 13-year-old granddaughter of her best pal Roz (Tyne Daly). When Doris begins showing up at John’s regular haunts, she wins over his Williamsburg friends with her eclectic vintage wardrobe, quirky naiveté and unironic enthusiasm for their rooftop knitting circle. Her new life brings Doris a thrilling perspective, but also creates a rift between her and her longtime friends and family, who believe she’s making a fool of herself over a
guy half her age. Eager for all the experiences she has missed out on, Doris throws caution to the wind and follows her heart for the very first time.
- Starring: John Gallagher Jr., John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead
- Waking up from a car accident, a young woman (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) finds herself in the basement of a man who says he's saved her life from a chemical attack that has left the outside uninhabitable.
Available June 21st
- Starring: Mark Strong, Sacha Baron Cohen
- Nobby (Sacha Baron Cohen) has everything a man from the poor English fishing town of Grimsby could want – 9 children and the most attractive girlfriend in northern England (Rebel Wilson). There’s only one thing missing in his life: his little brother, Sebastian (Mark Strong). After they were adopted by different families as children, Nobby spent 28 years searching for him. Upon hearing of his location, Nobby sets off to reunite with his brother, unaware that not only is his brother an MI6 agent, but he's just uncovered a plot that puts the world in danger. On the run and wrongfully accused, Sebastian realizes that if he is going to save the world, he will need the help of its biggest idiot.
- Starring: Antonio Banderas, Brian Dennehy, Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Freida Pinto, Isabel Lucas,Natalie Portman, Teresa Palmer, Wes Bentley
- Knight of Cups follows writer Rick (Christian Bale) on an odyssey through the playgrounds of Los Angeles and Las Vegas as he undertakes a search for love and self. Even as he moves through a desire-laden landscape of mansions, resorts, beaches and clubs, Rick grapples over complicated relationships with his brother (Wes Bentley) and father (Brian Dennehy). His quest to break the spell of his disenchantment takes him on a series of adventures with six alluring women: rebellious Della (Imogen Poots); his physician ex-wife, Nancy (Cate Blanchett); a serene model Helen (Freida Pinto); a woman he wronged in the past Elizabeth (Natalie Portman); a spirited, playful stripper Karen (Teresa Palmer); and an innocent Isabel (Isabel Lucas), who helps him see a way forward. Rick moves in a daze through a strange and overwhelming dreamscape -- but can he wake up to the
beauty, humanity and rhythms of life around him? The deeper he searches, the more the journey becomes his destination.
A father (Michael Shannon), goes on the run to protect his young son, Alton (Jaeden Lieberher), and uncover the truth behind the boy’s special powers. What starts as a race from religious extremists and local law enforcement quickly escalates to a nationwide manhunt involving the highest levels of the Federal Government. Ultimately his father risks everything to protect Alton and help fulfill a destiny that could change the world forever.
Nestled in Norway's Sunnmøre region, Geiranger is one of the most spectacular tourist draws on the planet. With the mountain Åkerneset overlooking the village — and constantly threatening to collapse into the fjord — it is also a place where cataclysm could strike at any moment. After putting in several years at Geiranger's warning center, geologist Kristian (Kristoffer Joner) is moving on to a prestigious gig with an oil company. But the very day he's about to drive his family to their new life in the city, Kristian senses something isn't right. The substrata are shifting. No one wants to believe that this could be the big one, especially with tourist season at its peak, but when that mountain begins to crumble, every soul in Geiranger has ten minutes to get to high ground before a tsunami hits, consuming everything in its path.
The X Files - The Event Series
Almost 14 years after the original series run, the next mind-bending chapter of THE X-FILESTM is a thrilling, six-episode event series from creator/executive producer Chris Carter, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reinhabiting their roles as iconic FBI agents FOX MULDER and DANA SCULLY. Mitch Pileggi also returns as FBI Assistant Director WALTER SKINNER, Mulder and Scully s boss, who walks a fine line between loyalty to these investigators and accountability to his superiors. This marks the momentous return of the Emmy®- and Golden Globe® Award-winning pop culture phenomenon, which remains one of the longest-running sci-fi series in network television history.
Available June 28th
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Alan Rickman, Barkhad Abdi, Helen Mirren, Iain Glen, Jeremy Northam, Kim Engelbrecht,Phoebe Fox
- Through remote surveillance and on-the-ground intel, Colonel Katherine Powell (Helen Mirren), a UK-based military officer in command of a top secret drone operation to capture terrorists in Kenya discovers the targets are planning a suicide bombing and the mission escalates from “capture” to “kill.” But as American pilot Steve Watts (Aaron Paul) is about to engage, a nine-year old girl enters the kill zone triggering an international dispute, reaching the highest levels of US and British government, over the moral, political, and personal implications of modern warfare.
- Starring: Angelina Jolie, Bryan Cranston, David Cross,Dustin Hoffman, J.K. Simmons, Jack Black, Jackie Chan,Lucy Liu, Seth Rogen
- When Po's long-lost panda father suddenly reappears, the reunited duo travels to a secret panda paradise to meet scores of hilarious new panda characters. But when the supernatural villain Kai begins to sweep across China defeating all the kung fu masters, Po must do the impossible-learn to train a village full of his fun-loving, clumsy brethren to become the ultimate band of Kung Fu Pandas.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Anthony Mackie, Casey Affleck,Chiwetel Ejiofor, Clifton Collins Jr., Gal Gadot,
- Kate Winslet, Norman Reedus, Woody Harrelson
- A crew of dirty cops is blackmailed by the Russian mob to execute a virtually impossible heist and the only way to pull it off is to manufacture a 999, police code for “officer down.” Their plan is turned upside down when the unsuspecting rookie they set up to die foils the attack, triggering a breakneck action-packed finale tangled with double-crosses, greed and revenge.
- Starring: Alfred Molina, Billy Bob Thornton, Josh Charles, Margot Robbie, Martin Freeman,Tina Fey
- When reporter, Kim Baker’s (Tina Fey) life needs something more, she decides to ‘shake it all up’ by taking an assignment in a war zone. There, in the midst of chaos, she finds the strength she never knew she had.
Available July 5th
By The Sea
- Starring: Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Mélanie Laurent, Melvil Poupaud, Niels Arestrup
- Roland (Brad Pitt), an American writer, and his wife, Vanessa (Angelina Jolie), arrive in a tranquil and picturesque seaside resort in 1970s France, their marriage in apparent crisis. As they spend time with fellow travelers, including young newlyweds Lea (Melanie Laurent) and François (Melvil Poupaud) and village locals Michel (Niels Arestrup) and Patrice (Richard Bohringer), the couple begins to come to terms with unresolved issues in their own lives.
- Starring: Christopher Walken, Jason Bateman, Kathryn Hahn, Maryann Plunkett, Nicole Kidman
- Adult siblings Baxter (Jason Bateman) and Annie (Nicole Kidman), scarred from an unconventional upbringing, return to their family home after an unlikely accident. When their parents (Christopher Walken and Maryann Plunkett) — performance artists famous for elaborate public hoaxes — suddenly go missing under troubling circumstances, Baxter and Annie investigate. Unsure whether it’s foul play or just another elaborate ruse, nothing can prepare them for what they discover.
House of Cards - Season 4
They've always been a great team. But now in Season Four of "House of Cards", Frank (Golden Globe TM Kevin Spacey) and Claire (Golden Globe TM winner Robin Wright) become even greater adversaries as their marriage stumbles and their ambitions are at odds.
- Starring: Bradley Whitford, Elizabeth Olsen, Maddie Hasson, Tom Hiddleston
- I Saw the Light, the story of the legendary country western singer Hank Williams, who in his brief life created one of the greatest bodies of work in American music. The film chronicles his meteoric rise to fame and its ultimately tragic effect on his health and personal life.
Available July 12th
- Starring: Jeff Daniels, Shailene Woodley, Theo James
- After the earth-shattering revelations of Insurgent, Tris (Shailene Woodley) must escape with Four (Theo James) and go beyond the wall enclosing Chicago. For the first time ever, they will leave the only city and family they have ever known in order to find a peaceful solution for their embroiled city. Once outside, old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless with the revelation of shocking new truths. Tris and Four must quickly decide who they can trust as a ruthless battle ignites beyond the walls of Chicago which threatens all of humanity. In order to survive, Tris will be forced to make impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love.
Everybody Wants Some!!
- Starring: Blake Jenner, Ryan Guzman, Tyler Hoechlin,Zoey Deutch
- Set in the world of 1980s college life, Everybody Wants Some follows a group of college baseball players as they navigate their way through the freedoms and responsibilities of unsupervised adulthood. Get ready for the best weekend ever.
- Starring: Alia Shawkat, Anton Yelchin, Imogen Poots,Patrick Stewart
- Down on their luck punk rockers The Ain’t Rights are finishing up a long and unsuccessful tour, and are about to call it quits when they get an unexpected booking at an isolated, run-down club deep in the backwoods of Oregon. What seems merely to be a third-rate gig escalates into something much more sinister when they witness an act of violence backstage that they weren’t meant to see. Now trapped backstage, they must face off against the club’s depraved owner, Darcy Banker (Patrick Stewart), a man who will do anything to protect the secrets of his nefarious enterprise. But while Darcy and his henchmen think the band will be easy to get rid of, The Ain’t Rights prove themselves much more cunning and capable than anyone expected, turning the tables on their unsuspecting captors and setting the stage for the ultimate life-or-death showdown.
London Has Fallen
- Starring: Aaron Eckhart, Angela Bassett, Gerard Butler
- In London for the Prime Minister's funeral, Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) discovers a plot to assassinate all the attending world leaders.
Miracles From Heaven
- Starring: Brighton Sharbino, Courtney Fansler, Jennifer Garner, Kylie Rogers, Martin Henderson
- When Christy (Jennifer Garner) discovers her 10-year-old daughter Anna (Kylie Rogers) has a rare, incurable disease, she becomes a ferocious advocate for her daughter's healing as she searches for a solution. After Anna has a freak accident, an extraordinary miracle unfolds in the wake of her dramatic rescue that leaves medical specialists mystified, her family restored and their community inspired.
Available July 19th
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
- Starring: Amy Adams, Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Jason Momoa, Jesse Eisenberg
- Fearing the actions of a god-like super hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.
- Starring: Chris Cooper, Heather Lind, Jake Gyllenhaal,Judah Lewis, Naomi Watts
- Davis (Jake Gyllenhaal), a successful investment banker, struggles after losing his wife in a tragic car crash. Despite pressure from his father in law Phil (Chris Cooper) to pull it together, Davis continues to unravel. What starts as a complaint letter to a vending machine company turns into a series of letters revealing startling personal admissions. Davis’ letters catch the attention of customer service rep Karen (Naomi Watts) and, amidst emotional and financial burdens of her own, the two form an unlikely connection. With the help of Karen and her son Chris (Judah Lewis), Davis starts to rebuild, beginning with the demolition of the life he once knew.
The Magicians - Season One
High school senior Quentin Coldwater (Jason Ralph) secretly loves the fantasy novels about the adventures of five children in a magical land called Fillory. He soon is accepted into an exclusive, secret magicians school called the Brakebills University in upstate New York in this adaptation of Lev Grossman's trilogy of books.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
- Starring: Andrea Martin, John Corbett, Lainie Kazan,Michael Constantine, Nia Vardalos
- After spending most of their time focusing on their troubling teenage daughter, Toula (Nia Vardalos) and Ian (John Corbett) are facing marital problems while also having to deal with yet another Greek wedding – this time, even bigger and fatter.
Orphan Black - Season 4
Tatiana Maslany returns to the multiple roles that have earned her two Critics Choice Awards, plus Golden Globe and Emmy nominations. The fourth series of this critically acclaimed thriller sees the clones encounter their deadliest challenge yet.
Available July 26th
A titan of industry (Melissa McCarthy) is sent to prison after she's caught for insider trading. When she emerges ready to rebrand herself as America's latest sweetheart, not everyone she screwed over is so quick to forgive and forget.
- Starring: Aidan Gillen, Ben Carolan, Ferdia Walsh-Peelo,Jack Reynor, Kelly Thornton, Lucy Boynton, Maria Doyle Kennedy
- In 1980s Dublin, 14-year-old Conor (Ferdia Walsh-Peelo) is looking for a break from a home strained by his parents’ relationship and money troubles, while trying to adjust to his new inner-city public school where the kids are rough and the teachers are rougher. He finds a glimmer of hope in the mysterious, über-cool and beautiful Raphina (Lucy Boynton), and with the aim of winning her heart he invites her to star in his band’s music videos. There’s only one problem: he’s not part of a band…yet. She agrees, and now Conor must deliver what he’s promised - calling himself “Cosmo” and immersing himself in the vibrant rock music trends of the decade, he forms a band with a few lads, and the group pours their heart into writing lyrics and shooting videos.
Available August 2nd
- Starring: Cecily Strong, Gary Cole, Haley Lu Richardson,Melissa Rauch, Sebastian Stan, Thomas Middleditch
- A decade ago, Hope Ann Greggory (Melissa Rauch) was America's sweetheart. Her inspired performance on a ruptured Achilles at the world's most prestigious gymnastics tournament clinched an unlikely bronze medal for the U.S. team and brought glory to her hometown of Amherst, Ohio. But in the years since that epic third place victory, Hope hasn't done a whole lot with her life. Still living in her dad Stan's (Gary Cole) basement, still sporting her daily uniform of a Team USA gym suit with teeny-bopper bangs, ponytail and scrunchie, she spends her days at the mall milking her minor celebrity for free food and favors. Hope's routine is upended when she learns that she must coach Amherst's newest gymnastics prodigy Maggie (Haley Lu Richardson) in order to receive a sizable financial inheritance. The hard-edged yet insecure Hope is faced with a serious dilemma:
does she jeopardize her "hometown hero" status by devotedly training this rising star to achieve the dreams she never could? Or does she attempt to sabotage the impressionable Maggie to ensure that she remains the one and only star in Amherst?
- Starring: Jeremy Irons, Luke Evans, Sienna Miller, Tom Hiddleston
- Dr. Robert Laing (Tom Hiddleston) is the newest resident of a luxurious apartment in a high-tech concrete skyscraper whose lofty location places him amongst the upper class. Laing quickly settles into high society life and meets the building’s eccentric tenants: Charlotte (Sienna Miller), his upstairs neighbor and bohemian single mother; Wilder (Luke Evans), a charismatic documentarian who lives with his pregnant wife Helen (Elisabeth Moss); and Mr. Royal (Jeremy Irons), the enigmatic architect who designed the building. Life seems like paradise to the solitude-seeking Laing. But as power outages become more frequent and building flaws emerge, particularly on the lower floors, the regimented social strata begins to crumble and the building becomes a battlefield in a literal class war.
- Starring: Jordan Peele, Keegan-Michael Key
- Clarence and Rell (Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele) are cousins who live in the city but are far from streetwise. When Rell’s beloved kitten, Keanu, is catnapped, the hopelessly straight-laced pair must impersonate ruthless killers in order to infiltrate a street gang and retrieve the purloined feline. But the incredibly adorable kitten becomes so coveted that the fight over his custody creates a gang war, forcing our two unwitting heroes to take the law into their own hands.
- Starring: Colin Farrell, Jessica Barden, Olivia Colman,Rachel Weisz
- A love story set in the near future where single people, according to the rules of The City, are arrested and transferred to The Hotel. There they are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days. If they fail, they are transformed into an animal of their choosing and released into The Woods. A desperate Man escapes from The Hotel to The Woods where The Loners live and falls in love, although it is against their rules.
- Starring: Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts,Kate Hudson
- This celebration of mothers everywhere invites us all to enjoy the laughter, tears and love as three generations come together in the week leading up to Mother’s Day.
Available August 9th
- Starring: Josh Duhamel, James Franco, George MacKay
- Produced by J.J. Abrams, high school history teacher Jake Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to stop the assassination of JFK in the adaptation of Stephen King novel's 11/22/63.
A Hologram for the King
- Starring: Alexander Black, Ben Whishaw, Sarita Choudhury, Tom Hanks
- Cultures collide when an American businessman (Tom Hanks) is sent to Saudi Arabia to close what he hopes will be the deal of a lifetime. Baffled by local customs and stymied by an opaque bureaucracy, he eventually finds his footing with the help of a wise-cracking taxi driver (Alexander Black) and a beautiful Saudi doctor (Sarita Choudhury).
- Starring: Dominic West, George Clooney, Jack O'Connell,Julia Roberts
- Lee Gates (George Clooney) is a bombastic TV personality whose popular financial network show has made him the money wiz of Wall Street. But after he hawks a high tech stock that mysteriously crashes, an irate investor (Jack O’Connell) takes Gates, his crew, and his ace producer Patty Fenn (Julia Roberts) hostage live on air. Unfolding in real time, Gates and Fenn must find a way to keep themselves alive while simultaneously uncovering the truth behind a tangle of big money lies.
Available August 23rd
The Huntsman: Winter's War
- Starring: Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth, Emily Blunt,Jessica Chastain
- Long before the evil Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron) was thought vanquished by Snow White’s blade, she watched silently as her sister, Freya (Emily Blunt), suffered a heartbreaking betrayal and fled their kingdom. With Freya’s ability to freeze any enemy, the young ice queen has spent decades in a remote wintry palace raising a legion of deadly huntsmen—including Eric (Chris Hemsworth) and warrior Sara (Jessica Chastain)—only to find that her prized two defied her one demand: Forever harden your hearts to love. When Freya learns of her sister’s demise, she summons her remaining soldiers to bring the Magic Mirror home to the only sorceress left who can harness its power. But once she discovers Ravenna can be resurrected from its golden depths, the wicked sisters threaten this enchanted land with twice the darkest force it’s ever seen. Now,
their amassing army shall prove undefeatable…unless the banished huntsmen who broke their queen’s cardinal rule can fight their way back to one another.
The Walking Dead - Season 6
This season opened with the survivors hunkered down in the Safe Zone, where many of the new episodes are expected to take place. And with it, we can expect producers to delve into the backstory of many of the most elusive characters from last season.
This web site is a real find for film buffs. You can find the name of that film you can't quite remember by searching by actor(s) or even by partial title. You can cross-reference by clicking on the actor in the cast list and find a list of all of his movies. Also listed (besides cast) are writers, directors and crew. TV shows are in the database as well. So, last week when I watched an episode of "House" and recognized 2 actors but couldn't remember from where (!) I was able to search (by season and episode list) and find the answers which would normally have either kept me up or come to me in a flash at 2 a.m. Give it a try. [Link] www.imdb.com.