Please note the following:
Most new DVDs are very popular! But don't be discouraged. If you place a hold on a dvd that we own, you will get it before patrons from other libraries.
To place a hold on one of these dvds, just click on the title or the cover art. This will bring you to the catalog record for that film and you can then place your hold.
Also note: Most of our feature film dvds are widescreen editions. If you prefer full screen, you will need to go to a different record in the catalog. But remember, you only get first preference (over patrons from other libraries) on Norfolk dvds.
(Plot synopses and cast lists courtesy of Metacritic.com unless otherwise noted.)
Available in March
It’s the summer of 1989. 9-year-old Ted Henley (Jared Breeze) and his father John (David Morse) are the proprietors of The Mt. Vista Motel, a crumbling resort buried in the mountains of the American West. Since Ted's mother left, John has drifted into despondency—leaving Ted to fend for himself. In this isolation, unchecked by the bounds of parenting, Ted’s darker impulses begin to manifest. The arrival of a mysterious drifter, William Colby (Rainn Wilson), captivates young Ted and the two form a unique friendship - setting the stage for Ted’s final, unnerving metamorphosis.
- Starring: Michael B. Jordan, Phylicia Rashad, Sylvester Stallone, Tessa Thompson
- Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan) never knew his famous father, world heavyweight champion Apollo Creed, who died before he was born. Still, there’s no denying that boxing is in his blood, so Adonis heads to Philadelphia, the site of Apollo Creed’s legendary match with a tough upstart named Rocky Balboa. Once in the City of Brotherly Love, Adonis tracks down Rocky (Sylvester Stallone) and asks him to be his trainer. Despite his insistence that he is out of the fight game for good, Rocky sees in Adonis the strength and determination he had known in Apollo—the fierce rival who became his closest friend. Agreeing to take him on, Rocky trains the young fighter, even as the former champ is battling an opponent more deadly than any he faced in the ring. With Rocky in his corner, it isn’t long before Adonis gets his own shot at the title…but can he
develop not only the drive but also the heart of a true fighter, in time to get into the ring?
- Starring: Alicia Vikander, Amber Heard, Ben Whishaw,Eddie Redmayne
- Inspired by the true story of Danish artists Einar Wegener and his wife Gerda, this tender portrait of a marriage asks: What do you do when someone you love wants to change? It starts with a question, a simple favor asked of a husband by his wife on an afternoon chilled by the Baltic wind while both are painting in their studio. Her portrait model has canceled, and would he mind slipping into a pair of women's shoes and stockings for a few moments so she can finish the painting on time. "Of course," he answers. "Anything at all." With that, one of the most passionate and unusual love stories of the twentieth century begins.
- Starring: Dakota Fanning, Emma Thompson, Greg Wise,Tom Sturridge
- A look at the mysterious relationship between Victorian art critic John Ruskin (Greg Wise) and his teenage bride Effie Gray (Dakota Fanning).
- Starring: Emily Browning, Taron Egerton, Tom Hardy
- Identical twin gangsters Ronald and Reginald Kray (Tom Hardy) terrorize London during the 1950s and 1960s.
In the hazy aftermath of an unimaginable loss, Sarah (Olivia Wilde) and Phil (Luke Wilson) come unhinged, recklessly ignoring the repercussions. Phil starts to lose sight of his morals; Sarah takes off on a potentially disastrous journey, falling deeper into her own fever dream
- Starring: Jennifer Ehle, Kit Harington, Peter Firth
- When charismatic terrorist Adem Qasim (Elyes Gabel) escapes from MI5 custody during a high profile handover, legendary operative Harry Pearce (Peter Firth), Head of Counter-terrorism, is blamed. Disgraced and forced to resign, Harry disappears without a trace. With MI5 on its knees in the wake of the Qasim debacle and facing controversial reform, former agent Will Holloway (Kit Harington) is brought back from Moscow to discover the truth about Harry’s disappearance and in doing so, uncovers a shocking revelation; Harry is still alive, has gone rogue and he desperately needs Will’s help. Will must decide whether to turn Harry in - or risk everything by trusting the damaged, dangerous master spy who betrayed him once before.
- Starring: Dominic Cooper, Drew Barrymore, Paddy Considine, Toni Collette
- Best friends Milly (Toni Collette) and Jess (Drew Barrymore) have been inseparable since they were young girls. They can’t remember a time they didn’t share everything —secrets, clothes, even boyfriends—but nothing prepares them for the day Milly is hit with life-altering news.
- Starring: Jillian Bell, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lizzy Caplan,Seth Rogen, Anthony Mackie
- Ethan (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), Isaac (Seth Rogen) and Chris (Anthony Mackie) have been friends since childhood, and for a decade, their yearly Christmas Eve reunion has been an annual night of debauchery and hilarity. Now that they’re entering adulthood, the tradition is coming to an end, and to make it as memorable as possible, they set out to find the Nutcracka Ball – the Holy Grail of Christmas parties.
- Starring: Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay
- Jack (Jacob Tremblay) is a spirited 5 year-old who is looked after by his loving and devoted Ma (Brie Larson). Like any good mother, Ma dedicates herself to keeping Jack happy and safe, nurturing him with warmth and love and doing typical things like playing games and telling stories. Their life, however, is anything but typical—they are trapped—confined to a windowless, 10-by-10-foot space, which Ma has euphemistically named “Room.” Ma has created a whole universe for Jack within Room, and she will stop at nothing to ensure that, even in this treacherous environment, Jack is able to live a complete and fulfilling life. But as Jack’s curiosity about their situation grows, and Ma’s resilience reaches its breaking point, they enact a risky plan to escape, ultimately bringing them face-to-face with what may turn out to be the scariest thing yet:
the real world.
- Starring: Aldis Hodge, Corey Hawkins, Jason Mitchell, Neil Brown Jr., O'Shea Jackson Jr.
- In the mid-1980s, the streets of Compton, California, were some of the most dangerous in the country. When five young men translated their experiences growing up into brutally honest music that rebelled against abusive authority, they gave an explosive voice to a silenced generation. Following the meteoric rise and fall of N.W.A., Straight Outta Compton tells the astonishing story of how these young men revolutionized music and pop culture forever the moment they told the world the truth about life in the hood and ignited a cultural war.
- Starring: Carl Boenish
- A heart-racing documentary portrait of Carl Boenish, the father of the BASE jumping movement, whose early passion for skydiving led him to ever more spectacular -and dangerous- feats of foot-launched human flight.
Starring: Isla Fisher, Anson Mount, Gillian Jacobs, Jim Parsons, Joanna Cassidy
Leaving her hectic city lifestyle behind, young mother-to-be Eveleigh joins her husband David at their beautiful new vineyard home only to be plagued by terrifying noises and visions of a sinister hooded figure. No one else hears or sees these hallucinations, not even David, who grows increasingly worried about his wife's well-being. Desperate to prove her sanity, Eveleigh hunts down a local medium who reveals the haunted history of the vineyard in which she now resides. As she desperately pieces together past events to keep a future horror from occurring, Eveleigh uncovers a dark conspiracy that puts her life and the life of her unborn child at risk.
- Starring: Harvey Keitel, Mark Kozelek, Michael Caine,Paul Dano, Rachel Weisz
- Fred (Michael Caine) and Mick (Harvey Keitel), two old friends, are on vacation in a luxury Swiss Alps lodge as they ponder retirement. While Fred has no plans to resume his musical career despite the urging of his loving daughter Lena (Rachel Weisz), Mick is intent on finishing the screenplay for what may be his last important film for his muse Brenda (Jane Fonda). And where will inspiration lead their younger friend Jimmy (Paul Dano), an actor grasping to make sense of his next performance? Set against a sprawling landscape of unforgettable sights and intoxicating music, Youth asks if our most important and life-changing experiences can come at any time – even late – in life
The live adaptation of the musical finds Sandy (Julianne Hough) transferring to the high school of Danny's (Aaron Tveit) where she meets the Pink Ladies: Rizzo (Vanessa Hudgens), Frenchy (Carly Rae Jepsen), Marty (Keke Palmer). and Jan (Kether Donohue) as well as the T-Birds: Kenickie (Carlos PenaVega) and Putzie (David Del Rio).
- Starring: Ben Whishaw, Brendan Gleeson, Chris Hemsworth, Cillian Murphy
- In the winter of 1820, the New England whaling ship Essex was assaulted by something no one could believe: a whale of mammoth size and will, and an almost human sense of vengeance. The real-life maritime disaster would inspire Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick. But that told only half the story. In the Heart of the Sea reveals the encounter’s harrowing aftermath, as the ship’s surviving crew is pushed to their limits and forced to do the unthinkable to stay alive. Braving storms, starvation, panic and despair, the men will call into question their deepest beliefs, from the value of their lives to the morality of their trade, as their captain searches for direction on the open sea and his first mate still seeks to bring the great whale down.
- Starring: Marion Cotillard, Michael Fassbender
- Macbeth is the story of a fearless warrior and inspiring leader brought low by ambition and desire. A thrilling interpretation of the dramatic realities of the times and a reimagining of what wartime must have been like for one of Shakespeare’s most famous and compelling characters, a story of all-consuming passion and ambition, set in war torn Scottish landscape.
- Starring: Bill Melendez, Francesca Capaldi, Hadley Belle Miller, Noah Schnapp
- Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Lucy, Linus and the rest of the beloved Peanuts gang make their big-screen debut, like they’ve never been seen before, in state of the art 3D animation. Charlie Brown, the world’s most beloved underdog, embarks upon an epic and heroic quest, while his best pal, the lovable beagle Snoopy, takes to the skies to pursue his arch-nemesis, the Red Baron.
Kimmy Schmidt (Ellie Kemper) moves to New York to start over after escaping from a doomsday cult in this comedy originally created by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock for NBC.
- Starring: Andrew Scott, Daniel Radcliffe, James McAvoy,Jessica Brown Findlay, Mark Gatiss
- Radical scientist Victor Frankenstein (James McAvoy) and his equally brilliant protégé Igor Strausman (Daniel Radcliffe) share a noble vision of aiding humanity through their groundbreaking research into immortality. But Victor’s experiments go too far, and his obsession has horrifying consequences. Only Igor can bring his friend back from the brink of madness and save him from his monstrous creation.
- Starring: Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Hamish Linklater, John Magaro, Melissa Leo, Rafe Spall, Ryan Gosling, Steve Carell
- When four outsiders saw what the big banks, media and government refused to, the global collapse of the economy, they had an idea: The Big Short. Their bold investment leads them into the dark underbelly of modern banking where they must question everyone and everything.
- Starring: Jim Broadbent, Julie Walters, Saoirse Ronan
- Eilis Lacey (Saoirse Ronan) is a young Irish immigrant navigating her way through 1950s Brooklyn. Lured by the promise of America, Eilis departs Ireland and the comfort of her mother’s home for the shores of New York City. The initial shackles of homesickness quickly diminish as a fresh romance sweeps Eilis into the intoxicating charm of love. But soon, her new vivacity is disrupted by her past, and she must choose between two countries and the lives that exist within.
- Starring: Cate Blanchett, Cory Michael Smith, Jake Lacy,John Magaro, Kyle Chandler, Rooney Mara, Sarah Paulson
- Set in 1950s New York, two women from very different backgrounds find themselves in the throes of love. A young woman in her 20s, Therese Belivet (Rooney Mara), is a clerk working in a Manhattan department store and dreaming of a more fulfilling life when she meets Carol (Cate Blanchett), an alluring woman trapped in a loveless, convenient marriage. As an immediate connection sparks between them, the innocence of their first encounter dims and their connection deepens. While Carol breaks free from the confines of marriage, her husband (Kyle Chandler) threatens her competence as a mother when Carol’s involvement with Therese and close relationship with her best friend Abby (Sarah Paulson) comes to light. As Carol leaves the comfort of home to travel with Therese, an internal journey of self-discovery coincides with her new sense of space.
Starring: John Travolta, Michael Pitt, Dan Stevens
Four friends stumble into a deal too good to refuse. But when the investment goes bad, they learn that part of their funding came from a notoriously ruthless crime boss (John Travolta)... and it’s payback time. Now, they must successfully kidnap a family member of a rival kingpin in order to erase the life-threatening debt. In way over their heads, if they can complete the assigned task without screwing up, they just might escape with their lives.
Starring: Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Stephen Dillane, Lena Headey, Natalie Dormer
Continuation of the George R. R. Martin saga "A Song of Ice and Fire."
Come along with Emmy Award®-winner Phil Rosenthal on these six offbeat and often hilarious culinary adventures around the world. Phil, creator of the TV hit Everybody Loves Raymond, meets the chefs, culinary leaders, and style-setters who keep their communities traditions alive and create new ones, in kitchens both on and off the well-worn gastronomic path. Visit Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Spain, Paris and Italy.
- Starring: Amy Poehler, Ike Barinholtz, Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey
- Two disconnected sisters (Tina Fey and Amy Poehler) are summoned home to clean out their childhood bedroom before their parents sell the family house. Looking to recapture their glory days, they throw one final high-school-style party for their classmates, which turns into the cathartic rager that a bunch of ground-down adults really need.
- Starring: Donald Sutherland, Elizabeth Banks, Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Julianne Moore, Liam Hemsworth, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Sam Claflin, Willow Shields, Woody Harrelson
- With the nation of Panem in a full scale war, Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) confronts President Snow (Donald Sutherland) in the final showdown. Teamed with a group of her closest friends – including Gale (Liam Hemsworth), Finnick (Sam Claflin) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) – Katniss goes off on a mission with the unit from District 13 as they risk their lives to liberate the citizens of Panem, and stage an assassination attempt on President Snow who has become increasingly obsessed with destroying her. The mortal traps, enemies, and moral choices that await Katniss will challenge her more than any arena she faced in The Hunger Games.
- Starring: Aaron Eckhart, Finn Wittrock, Robin Tunney,Sarah Bolger
- What Freddie Steinmark (Finn Wittrock) wants most in the world is to play football. Deemed too small by the usual athletic standards, his father trains him hard, and Freddie brings a fight to the game that ultimately gets him noticed – by none other than legendary University of Texas coach Darrell Royal (Aaron Eckhart). Awarded a scholarship and a chance to play for the Longhorns, Freddie sets off to Austin with his loving high school sweetheart Linda (Sarah Bolger), determined to make the team. Alongside his old teammate Bobby Mitchell (Rett Terrell) and new pal James Street (Juston Street), Freddie is put through the paces of a grueling practice schedule, but the boys’ camaraderie off the field translates into solid playing on it, and they rise up the depth charts, giving the Longhorns a real chance to turn the team around. But just when they’re
reveling in the success of the season, Freddie suffers an injury that leads him to a shocking diagnosis and the biggest challenge he will ever face.
- Starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman
- A tight-knit team of rising FBI investigators – Ray (Chiwetel Ejiofor) and Jess (Julia Roberts), along with their District Attorney supervisor Claire (Nicole Kidman) – is suddenly torn apart when they discover that Jess’s teenage daughter has been brutally and inexplicably murdered. Now, thirteen years later, after obsessively searching every day for the elusive killer, Ray finally uncovers a new lead that he’s certain can permanently resolve the case, nail the vicious murderer, and bring long-desired closure to his team. No one is prepared, however, for the shocking, unspeakable secret that will reveal the enduring, destructive effects of personal vengeance on the human soul. Interweaving past and present, this deeply layered mystery explores the murky boundaries between justice and revenge, and asks the question: how far would you go to right an
- Starring: Russ Solomon, Bruce Springsteen, Dave Grohl, Elton John
- Established in 1960, Tower Records was once a retail powerhouse with two hundred stores, in thirty countries, on five continents. From humble beginnings in a small-town drugstore, Tower Records eventually became the heart and soul of the music world, and a powerful force in the music industry. In 1999, Tower Records made $1 billion. In 2006, the company filed for bankruptcy. What went wrong? Everyone thinks they know what killed Tower Records: The Internet. But that's not the story.
- Starring: Albert Brooks, Alec Baldwin, David Morse, Paul Reiser, Will Smith
- American immigrant Dr. Bennet Omalu, a forensic neuropathologist, discovers CTE, a football-related brain trauma, in a pro player and fights for the truth to be known. Omalu’s emotional quest puts him at dangerous odds with one of the most powerful institutions in the world.
- Starring: Linda Cardellini, Mark Wahlberg, Will Ferrell
- A mild-mannered radio executive (Will Ferrell) strives to become the best stepdad to his wife’s two children, but complications ensue when their freewheeling and freeloading real father (Mark Wahlberg) arrives, forcing him to compete for the affection of the kids.
- Starring: Bruce Dern, Channing Tatum, Demián Bichir,Jennifer Jason Leigh, Kurt Russell, Michael Madsen,Samuel L. Jackson, Tim Roth, Walton Goggins
- Six or eight or twelve years after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the wintry Wyoming landscape. The passengers, bounty hunter John Ruth (Kurt Russell) and his fugitive Daisy Domergue (Jennifer Jason Leigh), race towards the town of Red Rock where Ruth, known in these parts as “The Hangman,” will bring Domergue to justice. Along the road, they encounter two strangers: Major Marquis Warren (Samuel L. Jackson), a black former union soldier turned infamous bounty hunter, and Chris Mannix (Walton Goggins), a southern renegade who claims to be the town’s new Sheriff. Losing their lead on the blizzard, Ruth, Domergue, Warren and Mannix seek refuge at Minnie's Haberdashery, a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass. When they arrive at Minnie’s, they are greeted not by the proprietor but by four unfamiliar faces. Bob (Demian Bichir), who’s
taking care of Minnie’s while she’s visiting her mother, is holed up with Oswaldo Mobray (Tim Roth), the hangman of Red Rock, cow-puncher Joe Gage (Michael Madsen), and Confederate General Sanford Smithers (Bruce Dern). As the storm overtakes the mountainside stopover, our eight travelers come to learn they may not make it to Red Rock after all.
- Starring: Clemens Schick, Édgar Ramírez, Luke Bracey,Matias Padin, Ray Winstone, Teresa Palmer
- A young FBI agent, Johnny Utah (Luke Bracey), infiltrates a cunning team of thrill-seeking elite athletes – led by the charismatic Bodhi (Edgar Ramirez). The athletes are suspected of carrying out a spate of crimes in extremely unusual ways. Deep undercover, and with his life in imminent danger, Utah strives to prove they are the architects of this string of inconceivable crimes.
- Available April 5th
- Starring: Adam Driver, Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley,Domhnall Gleeson, Harrison Ford, John Boyega, Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac
- A continuation of the Star Wars saga.
- Starring: Blythe Danner, Dianna Agron, Griffin Dunne,Jason Sudeikis, Joe Manganiello, Rebecca Hall
- Deep in the Maine woods, Hannah (Rebecca Hall) is unable to move on after the death of her husband, an acclaimed musician and the subject of a biography she’s struggling to write, when she meets Andrew, a brash New York academic who has a different take on her husband’s life – and death. The unlikely pair must collaborate to craft the famous singer’s story and begin to write the next chapter in their lives together.
Available April 12th
- Starring: Eoin Macken, Natalie Dormer, Osamu Tanpopo,Stephanie Vogt
- Sara (Natalie Dormer), a young American woman, goes in search of her twin sister, who has mysteriously disappeared. Despite everyone’s warnings to “stay on the path,” Sara enters the legendary Aokigahara Forest at the base of Mt. Fuji determined to discover the truth about her sister’s fate – only to be confronted by the angry and tormented souls of the dead that prey on anyone who wanders into the forest.
Available April 19th
From the 1970s thru the 1990s, there was no hipper, no more outrageous comedy in print than The National Lampoon, the groundbreaking humor magazine that pushed the limits of taste and acceptability - and then pushed them even harder. Parodying everything from politics, religion, entertainment and the whole of American lifestyle, the Lampoon eventually went on to branch into successful radio shows, record albums, live stage revues and movies, launching dozens of huge careers on the way. Director Douglas Tirola tells the story of its rise and fall through fresh, candid interviews with its key staff, and illustrated with hundreds of outrageous images from the mag itself (along with never-seen interview footage from the magazine's prime). The film gives fans of the Lampoon a unique inside look at a magazine that dared to think what no one was
thinking, but wished they had.
- Starring: Alex Jennings, Maggie Smith
- Playwright Alan Bennett forms an unexpected bond with Miss Shepherd (Maggie Smith), a woman of uncertain origins who “temporarily” parked her van in Bennett’s London driveway and proceeded to live there for 15 years.
- Starring: Domhnall Gleeson, Forrest Goodluck, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Will Poulter
- In an expedition of the uncharted American wilderness, legendary explorer Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) is brutally attacked by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team. In a quest to survive, Glass endures unimaginable grief as well as the betrayal of his confidant John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy). Guided by sheer will and the love of his family, Glass must navigate a vicious winter in a relentless pursuit to live and find redemption.
Available April 26th
Starring: Aidan Turner, Sam Neill, Charles Dance, Miranda Richardson
Originally aired on the BBC in Dec 2015, the adaptation of Agatha Christie's novel of the same name, begins with eight people invited to a small island off the coast of Devon. At dinner, they hear a message that accuses them all of murder. One by one, as people are killed, the remaining guests try to discover who is the killer before it is too late.
- Starring: Alex Manette, Boyd Holbrook, Ewan McGregor,Joel Edgerton, Natalie Portman, Noah Emmerich, Rodrigo Santoro,
- A woman (Natalie Portman) asks her ex-lover (Joel Edgerton) for help in order to save her outlaw husband from a gang of killers.
- Starring: Adrian Lester, David Hayman, Clarke Peters, Ben Whishaw
- Danny (Ben Whishaw), a warehouse worker falls in love with British spy Alex (Edward Holcroft), who ends up dead in suspicious circumstances, and draws Danny into the world of espionage in the drama created and written by Tom Rob Smith.
Available May 3rd
- Starring: Alexandra Daddario, Benjamin Walker, Maggie Grace, Teresa Palmer, Tom Welling
- Travis Shaw (Benjamin Walker) and Gabby Holland (Teresa Palmer) meet as neighbors in a small coastal town and end up pursuing a relationship that neither could have foreseen. Spanning a decade and tracing the evolution of a love affair that is ultimately tested by life's most defining events, this story culminates in the question that every couple must ask themselves: how far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?
Years of working in the food industry have made Juana’s hands fast—very fast. She can slice and dice anything you throw at her with great speed and precision. Forced to give up her fruit-vending cart in order to find a more secure job, Juana lands a position as a kitchen assistant at a local Japanese restaurant. It is there she discovers a new friendship and a whole new world of cuisine and culture, far-removed from everything she has ever known. While working in the restaurant’s kitchen, Juana secretly observes the sushi chefs and eventually teaches herself to make a multitude of sushi. Her creativity sparked, Juana’s re-ignited passion for food drives her to want more from her job and her life. Eventually she attempts to
become a sushi chef, but is unable to because she is the “wrong” race and gender. Against all odds, she embarks on a journey of self-discovery, determined to not let anyone stop her from achieving her dream.
- Starring: Chloë Grace Moretz,Gabriela Lopez, Maggie Siff, Matthew Zuk, Nick Robinson,Ron Livingston
- Four waves of increasingly deadly attacks have left most of Earth decimated. Against a backdrop of fear and distrust, Cassie (Chloë Grace Moretz) is on the run, desperately trying to save her younger brother. As she prepares for the inevitable and lethal 5th wave, Cassie teams up with a young man who may become her final hope - if she can only trust him.
- Starring: Bradley Cooper, Diane Ladd,Édgar Ramírez, Isabella Rossellini, Jennifer Lawrence,
- Robert De Niro, Susan Lucci, Virginia Madsen
- Joy is the wild story of a family across four generations centered on the girl who becomes the woman who founds a business dynasty and becomes a matriarch in her own right. Betrayal, treachery, the loss of innocence and the scars of love, pave the road in this intense emotional and human comedy about becoming a true boss of family and enterprise facing a world of unforgiving commerce. Allies become adversaries and adversaries become allies, both inside and outside the family, as Joy’s inner life and fierce imagination carry her through the storm she faces.
Zev Guttman (Christopher Plummer), a 90-year-old struggling with memory loss, is living out his final years in a serene retirement home. A week following the death of his beloved wife Ruth, he suddenly gets a mysterious package from his close friend Max (Martin Landau), containing a stack of money and a letter detailing a shocking plan. Both Zev and Max were prisoners in Auschwitz, and the same sadistic guard was responsible for the death of both their families—a guard who, immediately after the war, escaped Germany and has been living in the U.S. ever since under an assumed identity. Max is wheelchair-bound but in full command of his mental faculties; with his guidance, Zev will embark on a cross-continental road-trip to bring justice once and for all to the man who destroyed both their lives.
Available May 10th
- Starring: Ben Robson, Diana Hardcastle, James Russell,Jim Norton, Lauren Cohan, Rupert Evans
- Greta is a young American woman who takes a job as a nanny in a remote English village, only to discover that the family’s 8-year-old is a life-sized doll that the parents care for just like a real boy, as a way to cope with the death of their actual son 20 years prior. After violating a list of strict rules, a series of disturbing and inexplicable events bring Greta’s worst nightmare to life, leading her to believe that the doll is actually alive.
- Starring: Ed Skrein, Morena Baccarin, Ryan Reynolds,T.J. Miller
- Based upon the Marvel Comics anti-hero, Deadpool is the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with new abilities and a dark and twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life. [
Available May 17th
- Starring: Aubrey Plaza, Dermot Mulroney, Julianne Hough,Robert De Niro, Zac Efron, Zoey Deutch
- Jason Kelly (Zac Efron) is one week away from marrying his boss’s uber-controlling daughter, putting him on the fast track for a partnership at the law firm. However, when the straight-laced Jason is tricked into driving his foul-mouthed grandfather, Dick (Robert De Niro), to Daytona for spring break, his pending nuptials are suddenly in jeopardy. Between riotous frat parties, bar fights, and an epic night of karaoke, Dick is on a quest to live his life to the fullest and bring Jason along for the ride. Ultimately, on the wildest journey of their lives, “dirty” Grandpa and his uptight grandson discover they can learn from one another and form the bond they never had.
Orange Is The New Black - Season 3
- Starring: Anya Taylor-Joy, Harvey Scrimshaw, Julian Richings, Kate Dickie, Ralph Ineson
- New England, 1630. Upon threat of banishment by the church, an English farmer leaves his colonial plantation, relocating his wife and five children to a remote plot of land on the edge of an ominous forest - within which lurks an unknown evil. Strange and unsettling things begin to happen almost immediately - animals turn malevolent, crops fail, and one child disappears as another becomes seemingly possessed by an evil spirit. With suspicion and paranoia mounting, family members accuse teenage daughter Thomasin of witchcraft, charges she adamantly denies. As circumstances grow more treacherous, each family member's faith, loyalty and love become tested in shocking and unforgettable ways.
Available May 24th
The Finest Hours
- Starring: Ben Foster, Casey Affleck, Chris Pine, Eric Bana
- On February 18, 1952, a massive nor’easter struck New England, pummeling towns along the Eastern seaboard and wreaking havoc on the ships caught in its deadly path, including the SS Pendleton, a T-2 oil tanker bound for Boston, which was literally ripped in half, trapping more than 30 sailors inside its rapidly-sinking stern. As the senior officer on board, first assistant engineer Ray Sybert (Casey Affleck) soon realizes it is up to him to take charge of the frightened crew and inspire the men to set aside their differences and work together to ride out one of the worst storms to ever hit the East Coast. Meanwhile, as word of the disaster reaches the U.S. Coast Guard station in Chatham, Massachusetts, Warrant Officer Daniel Cluff (Eric Bana) orders a daring operation to rescue the stranded men. Despite overwhelming odds, four men, led by Coast Guard
Captain Bernie Webber (Chris Pine), set out in a wooden lifeboat with an ill-equipped engine and little, if any, means of navigation, facing frigid temperatures, 60-foot high waves and hurricane-force winds. (Based on the book by local author Michael Tougias.)
How To Be Single
- Starring: Alison Brie, Dakota Johnson, Leslie Mann, Rebel Wilson
- There’s a right way to be single, a wrong way to be single, and then…there’s Alice. And Robin. Lucy. Meg. Tom. David. New York City is full of lonely hearts seeking the right match, be it a love connection, a hook-up, or something in the middle. And somewhere between the teasing texts and one-night stands, what these unmarrieds all have in common is the need to learn how to be single in a world filled with ever-evolving definitions of love. Sleeping around in the city that never sleeps was never so much fun.
- Starring: Adam Scott, Conchata Ferrell,David Koechner, Emjay Anthony, Krista Stadler, Toni Collette
- When his dysfunctional family clashes over the holidays, young Max (Emjay Anthony) is disillusioned and turns his back on Christmas. Little does he know, this lack of festive spirit has unleashed the wrath of Krampus: a demonic force of ancient evil intent on punishing non-believers. All hell breaks loose as beloved holiday icons take on a monstrous life of their own, laying siege to the fractured family’s home and forcing them to fight for each other if they hope to survive.
Ride Along 2
- Starring: Benjamin Bratt, Bruce McGill, Ice Cube, Ken Jeong, Kevin Hart, Olivia Munn, Tika Sumpter
- As his wedding day approaches, Ben (Kevin Hart) heads to Miami with his soon-to-be brother-in-law James (Ice Cube) to bring down a drug dealer (Benjamin Bratt).
- Starring: Ben Stiller, Kristen Wiig, Owen Wilson, Penélope Cruz, Will Ferrell
- Derek (Ben Stiller) and Hansel (Owen Wilson) are modeling again when an opposing company attempts to take them out of the business.
Available May 31st
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
- Starring: Bella Heathcote, Douglas Booth, Jack Huston,Lily James, Sam Riley
- Jane Austen's classic tale of the tangled relationships between lovers from different social classes in 19th century England is faced with a new challenge -- an army of undead zombies.
- Starring: Carice van Houten, Eli Goree, Jason Sudeikis,Shanice Banton, Stephan James
- Jesse Owens' quest to become the greatest track and field athlete in history thrusts him onto the world stage of the 1936 Olympics, where he faces off against Adolf Hitler’s vision of Aryan supremacy.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Anthony Mackie, Casey Affleck,Chiwetel Ejiofor, Clifton Collins Jr., Gal Gadot,
- Kate Winslet, Norman Reedus, Woody Harrelson
- A crew of dirty cops is blackmailed by the Russian mob to execute a virtually impossible heist and the only way to pull it off is to manufacture a 999, police code for “officer down.” Their plan is turned upside down when the unsuspecting rookie they set up to die foils the attack, triggering a breakneck action-packed finale tangled with double-crosses, greed and revenge.
Available June 7th
- Starring: David Thewlis, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tom Noonan
- Michael Stone, an author of books on the subject of customer service, struggles to connect with people. One night, while on a routine business trip, he meets Lisa, a stranger with a unique voice.
- Starring: Alden Ehrenreich, Channing Tatum, Frances McDormand, George Clooney, Jonah Hill, Josh Brolin,Ralph Fiennes, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton
- Set during the latter years of Hollywood’s Golden Age, Hail, Caesar! follows a single day in the life of a studio fixer who is presented with plenty of problems to fix.
The Other Side of the Door
- Starring: Jeremy Sisto, Logan Creran, Sarah Wayne Callies, Sofia Rosinsky
- A family lives an idyllic existence abroad until a tragic accident takes the life of their young son. The inconsolable mother learns of an ancient ritual that will bring him back to say a final goodbye. She travels to an ancient temple, where a door serves as a mysterious portal between two worlds. But when she disobeys a sacred warning to never open that door, she upsets the balance between life and death.
- Starring: Anna Kendrick, James Ransone, Sam Rockwell,The RZA, Tim Roth
- Hyperactive at the best of times, Martha (Anna Kendrick) has gone full-on manic since her latest breakup. She babbles, parties like a monster, cooks everything in sight - and is looking to do something terrible when she meets Francis (Sam Rockwell). To anyone else, Francis's approach would come across as creepy, but Martha can't help but be intrigued. They seem a perfect match: she's bananas, he's bananas... except he's a deadly sort of bananas. He's a professional assassin. Francis is a hitman with a cause: he unexpectedly kills the people ordering the hits. Just as Martha begins to realize her new beau wasn't joking when he said he had to step out for a moment to shoot someone, things start heating up for Francis. His services are solicited by a dubious client who's being sought by an equally dubious FBI agent (Tim Roth). As the bodies pile up, Martha
needs to decide whether to flee or join in the mayhem.
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
- Starring:David Denman,James Badge Dale, John Krasinski, Max Martini, Pablo Schreiber, Toby Stephens
- An American Ambassador is killed during an attack at a U.S. compound in Libya as a security team struggles to make sense out of the chaos.
Touched With Fire
- Starring: Alex Manette, Bruce Altman, Christine Lahti,Daniel Gerroll, Edward Gelbinovich, Griffin Dunne, Katie Holmes, Luke Kirby,
- Two poets (Katie Homes and Luke Kirby) with bipolar disorder meet in a treatment facility, and their chemistry is instant and intense, driving each other's mania to new heights. They pursue their passion which breaks outside the bounds of sanity, swinging them from fantastical highs to tormented lows until they ultimately must choose between sanity and love.
Available June 14th
- Starring: Charlotte Rampling, Tom Courtenay
- There is just one week until Kate Mercer's (Charlotte Rampling) 45th wedding anniversary and the planning for the party is going well. But then a letter arrives for her husband (Tom Courtenay). The body of his first love has been discovered, frozen and preserved in the icy glaciers of the Swiss Alps. By the time the party is upon them, five days later, there may not be a marriage left to celebrate.
Available June 21st
The Brothers Grimsby
- Starring: Mark Strong, Sacha Baron Cohen
- Nobby (Sacha Baron Cohen) has everything a man from the poor English fishing town of Grimsby could want – 9 children and the most attractive girlfriend in northern England (Rebel Wilson). There’s only one thing missing in his life: his little brother, Sebastian (Mark Strong). After they were adopted by different families as children, Nobby spent 28 years searching for him. Upon hearing of his location, Nobby sets off to reunite with his brother, unaware that not only is his brother an MI6 agent, but he's just uncovered a plot that puts the world in danger. On the run and wrongfully accused, Sebastian realizes that if he is going to save the world, he will need the help of its biggest idiot.
Knight of Cups
- Starring: Antonio Banderas, Brian Dennehy, Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Freida Pinto, Isabel Lucas,Natalie Portman, Teresa Palmer, Wes Bentley
- Knight of Cups follows writer Rick (Christian Bale) on an odyssey through the playgrounds of Los Angeles and Las Vegas as he undertakes a search for love and self. Even as he moves through a desire-laden landscape of mansions, resorts, beaches and clubs, Rick grapples over complicated relationships with his brother (Wes Bentley) and father (Brian Dennehy). His quest to break the spell of his disenchantment takes him on a series of adventures with six alluring women: rebellious Della (Imogen Poots); his physician ex-wife, Nancy (Cate Blanchett); a serene model Helen (Freida Pinto); a woman he wronged in the past Elizabeth (Natalie Portman); a spirited, playful stripper Karen (Teresa Palmer); and an innocent Isabel (Isabel Lucas), who helps him see a way forward. Rick moves in a daze through a strange and overwhelming dreamscape -- but can he wake up to the
beauty, humanity and rhythms of life around him? The deeper he searches, the more the journey becomes his destination.
A father (Michael Shannon), goes on the run to protect his young son, Alton (Jaeden Lieberher), and uncover the truth behind the boy’s special powers. What starts as a race from religious extremists and local law enforcement quickly escalates to a nationwide manhunt involving the highest levels of the Federal Government. Ultimately his father risks everything to protect Alton and help fulfill a destiny that could change the world forever.
Available June 28th
Eye In The Sky
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Alan Rickman, Barkhad Abdi, Helen Mirren, Iain Glen, Jeremy Northam, Kim Engelbrecht,Phoebe Fox
- Through remote surveillance and on-the-ground intel, Colonel Katherine Powell (Helen Mirren), a UK-based military officer in command of a top secret drone operation to capture terrorists in Kenya discovers the targets are planning a suicide bombing and the mission escalates from “capture” to “kill.” But as American pilot Steve Watts (Aaron Paul) is about to engage, a nine-year old girl enters the kill zone triggering an international dispute, reaching the highest levels of US and British government, over the moral, political, and personal implications of modern warfare.
Kung Fu Panda 3
- Starring: Angelina Jolie, Bryan Cranston, David Cross,Dustin Hoffman, J.K. Simmons, Jack Black, Jackie Chan,Lucy Liu, Seth Rogen
- When Po's long-lost panda father suddenly reappears, the reunited duo travels to a secret panda paradise to meet scores of hilarious new panda characters. But when the supernatural villain Kai begins to sweep across China defeating all the kung fu masters, Po must do the impossible-learn to train a village full of his fun-loving, clumsy brethren to become the ultimate band of Kung Fu Pandas.
This web site is a real find for film buffs. You can find the name of that film you can't quite remember by searching by actor(s) or even by partial title. You can cross-reference by clicking on the actor in the cast list and find a list of all of his movies. Also listed (besides cast) are writers, directors and crew. TV shows are in the database as well. So, last week when I watched an episode of "House" and recognized 2 actors but couldn't remember from where (!) I was able to search (by season and episode list) and find the answers which would normally have either kept me up or come to me in a flash at 2 a.m. Give it a try. [Link] www.imdb.com.