Please note the following:
Most new DVDs are very popular! But don't be discouraged. If you place a hold on a dvd that we own, you will get it before patrons from other libraries.
To place a hold on one of these dvds, just click on the title or the cover art. This will bring you to the catalog record for that film and you can then place your hold.
Also note: Most of our feature film dvds are widescreen editions. If you prefer full screen, you will need to go to a different record in the catalog. But remember, you only get first preference (over patrons from other libraries) on Norfolk dvds.
(Plot synopses and cast lists courtesy of Metacritic.com unless otherwise noted.)
Available in August
- Starring: Jai Courtney, Kate Winslet, Shailene Woodley,Theo James
- In a world where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues, Tris Prior is warned she is Divergent and will never fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction leader to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust in the mysterious Four and together they must find out what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Dakota Johnson, Dominic Cooper, Imogen Poots, Michael Keaton, Rami Malek, Ramon Rodriguez
- Framed for a crime he didn't commit, muscle car mechanic and street racer Tobey Marshall (Aaron Paul) gets out of prison determined to get revenge on the man responsible for his false conviction.
- Starring: Brenton Thwaites, Karen Gillan, Katee Sackhoff
- Ten years ago, tragedy struck the Russell family, leaving the lives of teenage siblings Tim and Kaylie forever changed when Tim was convicted of the brutal murder of their parents. Now in his 20s, Tim is newly released from protective custody and only wants to move on with his life; but Kaylie, still haunted by that fateful night, is convinced her parents’ deaths were caused by something else altogether: a malevolent supernatural force—unleashed through the Lasser Glass, an antique mirror in their childhood home. Determined to prove Tim’s innocence, Kaylie tracks down the mirror, only to learn similar deaths have befallen previous owners over the past century. With the mysterious entity now back in their hands, Tim and Kaylie soon find their hold on reality shattered by terrifying hallucinations, and realize, too late, that their childhood
nightmare is beginning again.
- Starring: Amy Sedaris, John Hannah, Judah Friedlander,ea Thompson, Marcello Conte, Susan Sarandon
- The year is 1985. Rad Miracle is a shy 13-year-old white kid who’s obsessed with two things: ping pong and hip hop. During his family’s annual summer vacation to Ocean City, Maryland, Rad makes a new best friend, experiences his first real crush, becomes the target of rich local bullies, and finds an unexpected mentor in his outcast next-door neighbor. Ping Pong Summer is about that time in your life when you’re treated like an alien by everyone around you, even though you know deep down you’re as funky fresh as it gets.
- Starring: Amy Ryan, Felicity Jones, Guy Pearce,Mackenzie Davis, Matthew Daddario
- When a foreign exchange student arrives in a small upstate New York town, she challenges the dynamics of her host family's relationships and alters their lives forever.
Detective Sergeant Bruce Robertson (James McAvoy) wants a promotion. He is clearly the best man for the job—the rest of his colleagues are just idiots. Annoyingly, there's been a murder and Bruce's boss wants results. No problem for Bruce. He's in control, and when he solves the case and wins the promotion, his wife will return to him. No problem, right?
- Starring: Guy Pearce, Hailee Steinfeld, Kristen Wiig, Nick Nolte
- Johanna Parry (Kristen Wiig), a quiet caregiver, starts a new job working for an elderly Mr. McCauley (Nick Nolte) and his teenage granddaughter Sabitha (Hailee Steinfeld). A cruel trick by Sabitha lands Johanna in an awkward one-way relationship with Ken (Guy Pearce), Sabitha's estranged father but her newfound ambition and desire gives her courage to transform her awkward doom into real contentment.
- Starring: Tom Hardy
- Ivan Locke has worked hard to craft a good life for himself. With one phone call, that life will collapse around him.
- Starring: Eric Jacobson, Ricky Gervais, Steve Whitmire,Tina Fey, Ty Burrell
- Muppets Most Wanted takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour, selling out grand theaters in some of Europe’s most exciting destinations, including Berlin, Madrid and London. But mayhem follows the Muppets overseas, as they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper.
- Starring: Colin Firth, Hiroyuki Sanada, Jeremy Irvine, Nicole Kidman, Stellan Skarsgård
- Eric Lomax, a World War II British Army officer who was captured and forced to work on the notorious Death Railway, sets out to find those responsible for his torture.
- Starring: Andrew Garfield, Denis Leary, Emma Stone,Jamie Foxx, Martin Sheen, Paul Giamatti, Sally Field
- It’s great to be Spider-Man. For Peter Parker, there’s no feeling quite like swinging between skyscrapers, embracing being the hero, and spending time with Gwen. But being Spider-Man comes at a price: only Spider-Man can protect his fellow New Yorkers from the formidable villains that threaten the city. With the emergence of Electro, Peter must confront a foe far more powerful than he. And as his old friend, Harry Osborn, returns, Peter comes to realize that all of his enemies have one thing in common: Oscorp.
- Starring: John Turturro, Sharon Stone, Sofía Vergara,Woody Allen
- Fioravante decides to become a professional Don Juan as a way of making money to help his cash-strapped friend, Murray. With Murray acting as his "manager", the duo quickly finds themselves caught up in the crosscurrents of love and money.
- Starring: Anton Yelchin, Jeffrey Wright, John Hurt, Mia Wasikowska, Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston
- Adam and Eve have been lovers for centuries. Both are cultured intellectuals with an all-embracing passion for music, literature and science, who have evolved to a level where they no longer kill for sustenance, but still retain their innate wildness. Adam, a reclusive underground musician hiding out in the ruins of contemporary Detroit, despairs about human civilization’s decline, and worries about future survival. Eve, who is perhaps 3000 years old to Adam’s 500, takes a longer view of history and is more optimistic. She leaves her home in the ancient city of Tangier to come to his side. As blood has been tainted by the zombies (humans), the formerly immortal Adam and Eve must secure uncontaminated blood from hospitals or they will perish. Eve’s close friend, Christopher Marlowe, is an elder vampire who provides Eve with hospital blood. Adam gets
his supply from Dr. Watson, a skittish hematologist who provides safe blood at a price. Adam and Eve’s precarious footing is further threatened by the uninvited arrival of Eve’s carefree and uncontrollable little sister Ava. Unlike Adam and Eve, Ava hasn’t yet learned to tame her wilder instincts, and her recklessness concerns Adam.
Germany, 1912. A graduate of humble origins takes up a clerical post in a steel factory. Impressed by his work the elderly owner takes him on as his private secretary. His health declining, the owner is confined to his home, where the young man moves to continue his work. There he meets the owner’s wife, a much younger woman, beautiful and reserved. As time passes the young man falls passionately in love but does not dare reveal his feelings. A romantic intrigue develops in this stifling bourgeois home, all looks and silences, without a single word or gesture of love. When the owner announces he is sending his secretary to oversee his mines in Mexico, the wife’s stricken reaction reveals to the young man that she too has fallen secretly in love - a love she cannot express in the presence of her sick husband. She makes him a promise -
when he returns in two years time, she will be his. Separated by an ocean, they exchange passionate letters while awaiting the day that will reunite them. Then, on the verge of his return to Germany, World War 1 erupts. All maritime travel between South America and Europe is suspended. His beloved pines, awaiting his return. Eight years later, with millions dead and Europe in ruins, the exile returns, to his homeland and to the woman he hopes has been waiting for him. But has their love survived the brutal passage of time?
- Starring: Emily Watson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Matthew Goode, Miranda Richardson, Tom Wilkinson
- Belle is inspired by the true story of Dido Elizabeth Belle the illegitimate mixed race daughter of Admiral John Lindsay. Raised by her aristocratic great-uncle Lord Mansfield and his wife, Belle's lineage affords her certain privileges, yet her status prevents her from the traditions of noble social standing. While her cousin Elizabeth chases suitors for marriage, Belle is left on the sidelines wondering if she will ever find love. After meeting an idealistic young vicar's son bent on changing society, he and Belle help shape Lord Mansfield's role as Lord Chief Justice to end slavery in England.
- Starring: Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore, Joel McHale,Kevin Nealon, Terry Crews, Wendi McLendon-Covey
- After a disastrous blind date, single parents Lauren and Jim agree on only one thing: they never want to see each other again. But when they each sign up separately for a fabulous family vacation with their kids, they are all stuck sharing a suite at a luxurious African safari resort for a week.
- Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Mia Wasikowska, Noah Taylor,Wallace Shawn, Yasmin Paige
- The life of Simon (Jesse Eisenberg), a timid, isolated man who’s overlooked at work, scorned by his mother, and ignored by the woman of his dreams (Mia Wasikowska) is turned upside down with the arrival of a new co-worker, James. James is both Simon's exact physical double and his opposite - confident, charismatic and good with women. To Simon's horror, James slowly starts taking over his life.
When their retirement nest egg is wiped out, Richard (Pierce Brosnan) and Kate (Emma Thompson), a divorced couple whose banter suggests that the flames of their former relationship have not been fully extinguished, scheme to steal a $10 million diamond from the French financier who defrauded them. Roped in to assist in the heist are the couple’s former neighbors (Timothy Spall and Celia Imrie) who are also rooting for the couple's reconciliation.
Ryan Murphy's adaptation of Larry Kramer's Tony-winning play about the early days of the AIDS crisis. After seeing a friend succumb to a new disease killing gay men at the offices of Dr. Emma Brookner (Julia Roberts), Ned Weeks (Mark Ruffalo) seeks to organize more action to combat it, even as his bluntness threatens to alienate people around him including his brother Ben (Alfred Molina), his lover Felix (Matt Bomer), and Bruce Niles (Taylor Kitsch), a closeted investment banker.
- Starring: Allison Janney, Amanda Peet, Clark Gregg,Felicity Huffman, Molly Shannon, Niecy Nash, Sam Rockwell, William H. Macy
- Howard Holloway, a former child star now struggling agent for child actors, spends years losing his most talented clients to his slick, arch-nemesis Aldo Shocklee.
In this highly anticipated new season, we see Rick and the group of survivors fostering a thriving community in the safe haven of the prison. Sadly, in this brutal world, happiness is short-lived and walkers and outside threats are no match for danger brewing inside the fences. The group’s home and new way of life will be thoroughly tested, and their struggle to survive has never been so perilous. Season 4 also introduces several new characters including Bob Stookey (Lawrence Gilliard Jr., The Wire).
Available September 2nd
- Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Denis Leary, Frank Langella, Jennifer Garner, Kevin Costner, Sam Elliott
- On the day of the NFL Draft, general manager Sonny Weaver (Kevin Costner) has the opportunity to save football in Cleveland when he trades for the number one pick. He must quickly decide what he's willing to sacrifice in pursuit of perfection as the lines between his personal andprofessional life become blurred on a life-changing day for a few hundred young men with dreams of playing in the NFL.
- Starring: Dakota Fanning, Jesse Eisenberg, Peter Sarsgaard
- As organic farmer Josh (Jesse Eisenberg), high society dropout Dena (Dakota Fanning) and ex-Marine Harmon (Peter Sarsgaard) plan, carry out and then witness the fallout of an attention-grabbing act of sabotage, they find their own personal limits tested.
- Starring: Amy Poehler, Bill Hader, Christopher Meloni,Cobie Smulders, Paul Rudd
- Joel (Paul Rudd), a candy company executive, threatens to close down Molly's (Amy Poehler) mom-and-pop candy store, but the unlikely pair begin to fall in love.
Available September 9th
- Starring: Anthony Mackie, Chris Evans, Cobie Smulders, Hayley Atwell, Robert Redford, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan
- After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, lives quietly in Washington, D.C. trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy.
- Starring: Michele Simon
- Far more of us get sick from what we eat than anyone has ever realized. This potent exposé uncovers the food industry’s dirty secrets. This exploration reveals how, in the wake of media attention, public fascination with appearance and government policies pushing for change, generations of Americans will live shorter lives.
- Starring: Caleb Landry Jones, Christina Hendricks, John Turturro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Richard Jenkins
- In the gritty, blue-collar neighborhood of God's Pocket, Mickey Scarpato's crazy stepson, Leon, is killed in a construction “accident,” and Mickey quickly tries to bury the bad news with the body. But when a local columnist comes sniffing around for the truth, things go from bad to worse. Mickey finds himself stuck in a life-and-death struggle compounded by a body he can't bury, a wife he can't please, and a debt he can't pay.
- Starring: Emma Roberts, Jack Kilmer, James Franco, Nat Wolff, Zoe Levin
- Shy, sensitive April (Emma Roberts) is the class virgin—a popular soccer player and frequent babysitter for her single-dad coach, Mr. B. (James Franco). Teddy (Jack Kilmer) is an introspective artist whose best friend and sidekick Fred (Nat Wolff) is an unpredictable live wire with few filters or boundaries. While April negotiates a dangerous affair with Mr. B., and Teddy performs community service for a DUI—secretly carrying a torch for April, who may or may not share his affection—Fred seduces Emily (Zoe Levin), a promiscuous loner who seeks validation through sexual encounters. One high-school party bleeds into another as April and Teddy finally acknowledge their mutual affection, and Fred's escalating recklessness spirals into chaos.
- Starring: Amy Brenneman, Bruce Davison, Clive Owen,Juliette Binoche
- Prep school English teacher Jack Marcus (Clive Owen) laments his students' obsession with social media and good grades rather than engaging with the power of the written word. A one-time literary star, Jack has not published in years filling his spare time with drink versus the art of language. He meets his match in Dina Delsanto (Juliette Binoche)—an abstract painter and new teacher on campus, who was once celebrated for her art. From the start, the two flirt and provoke each other with equal relish. With a performance review looming and his teaching job on the line, Jack hatches an inspired plan for galvanizing student interest in their studies: he declares a war between Words and Pictures, confident that the former can convey greater meaning than the latter. Dina and her art students accept the challenge between Jack and his English students, and
the battle lines are drawn.
Coming September 16th
Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Toni Collete, Aaron Paul, Imogn Poots
Four lost souls – a disgraced TV presenter, a foul-mouthed teen, an isolated single mother and a solipsistic muso – decide to end their lives on the same night, New Year’s Eve. When this disillusioned quartet of strangers meet unintentionally at the same suicide hotspot, a London high-rise with the well-earned nickname Topper’s Tower, they mutually agree to call off their plans for six weeks, forming an unconventional, dysfunctional family, becoming media sensations as the Topper House Four and searching together for the reasons to keep on living. (Based on the Nick Hornsby novel)
- Starring: Ansel Elgort, Laura Dern, Nat Wolff, Sam Trammell, Shailene Woodley, Willem Dafoe
- Hazel (Shailene Woodley) and Gus (Ansel Elgort) are two extraordinary teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that takes them on an unforgettable journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous, given that they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.
- Starring: Aaron Johnson, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins
- The world’s most revered monster is reborn in a powerful story of human courage and reconciliation in the face of titanic forces of nature, when the awe-inspiring Godzilla rises to restore balance as humanity stands defenseless.
- Starring: David Field, Guy Pearce, Robert Pattinson, Scoot McNairy
- Ten years after the collapse of society, the rule of the law has disintegrated and life is cheap. Eric (Guy Pearce) travels the desolate towns and roads of the outback. When a gang of thieves steals his car they leave behind a wounded Rey (Robert Pattinson) in their wake. Forcing Rey to help track the gang, Eric will go to any lengths to take back the one thing that still matters to him.
Available September 23rd
- Starring: Lisa Kudrow, Rose Byrne, Seth Rogen, Zac Efron
- A young couple with a newborn baby face unexpected difficulties after they are forced to live next to a fraternity house.
Available September 30th
- Starring: Bobby Cannavale, Dustin Hoffman, John Leguizamo, Jon Favreau, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Sofía Vergara
- Chef Carl Casper (Jon Favreau) loses his restaurant job, so he starts up a food truck in an effort to reclaim his creative promise, while piecing back together his estranged family.
- Starring: Don Johnson, Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard,Vinessa Shaw
- How can a split-second decision change your life? While investigating noises in his house one balmy Texas night in 1989, Richard Dane puts a bullet in the brain of a low-life burglar, Freddy Russell. Although he’s hailed as a small-town hero, Dane soon finds himself fearing for his family’s safety when Freddy’s ex-con father, Ben, rolls into town; hell-bent on revenge. However, not all is as it seems. Shortly after Dane kills the home intruder, his life begins to unravel into a dark underworld of corruption and violence. Twists and turns continue to pile up as the film reaches its inevitable destination: a gore-soaked dead end.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Deke Garner, Jonny Mars, Josh Wiggins, Juliette Lewis
- Hard-drinking Texas single dad Hollis (Aaron Paul) struggles to raise his two boys, including rebellious teenager Jacob (Josh Wiggins). Seething with anger, Jacob finds release in the high-risk, white-knuckle world of motocross—but his increasingly reckless behavior threatens to spin out of control.
A rock journalist (Toni Collette) is assigned to track down her ex-boyfriend.
- Starring: Adrien Brody, James Franco, Kim Basinger, Liam Neeson, Maria Bello, Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde
- Three interlocking love stories involving three couples in three cities: Rome, Paris, and New York.
- Starring: Jack Reynor, Kelsey Grammer, Mark Wahlberg,Nicola Peltz, Peter Cullen, Stanley Tucci
- The fourth installment of the blockbuster franchise based on the Hasbro toy line.
Available October 7th
Edge of Tomorrow
- Starring: Bill Paxton, Emily Blunt, Tom Cruise
- Lt. Col. Bill Cage (Tom Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to little more than a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop—forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again…and again. But with each battle, Cage becomes able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt). And, as Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy.
- Starring: Aasif Mandvi, Alan Arkin, Bill Paxton, Jon Hamm,Lake Bell, Madhur Mittal, Pitobash, Suraj Sharma
- In a last ditch effort to save his career as a sports agent, JB Bernstein (Jon Hamm) concocts a scheme to find baseball's next great pitching ace. Hoping to find a young cricket pitcher he can turn into a major league baseball star, JB travels to India to produce a reality show competition called "Million Dollar Arm." With the help of a cantankerous but eagle-eyed retired baseball scout (Alan Arkin) he discovers Dinesh (Madhur Mittal) and Rinku (Suraj Sharma), two 18 year old boys who have no idea about playing baseball, yet have a knack for throwing a fastball. Hoping to sign them to major league contracts and make a quick buck, JB brings the boys home to America to train. While the Americans are definitely out of their element in India - the boys, who have never left their rural villages - are equally challenged when they come to the States.
As the boys learn the finer points of baseball, JB, with the help of his charming friend Brenda (Lake Bell), learns valuable life lessons about teamwork, commitment and what it means to be a family.
A Million Ways to Die in the West
- Starring: Amanda Seyfried, Charlize Theron, Liam Neeson,Neil Patrick Harris, Sarah Silverman, Seth MacFarlane
- After a cowardly sheep farmer backs out of a gunfight, his fickle girlfriend leaves him for another man. When a mysterious and beautiful woman rides into town, she helps him find his courage and they begin to fall in love. But when her husband, a notorious outlaw, arrives seeking revenge, the farmer must put his newfound courage to the test.
- Starring: David Cross, Gaby Hoffmann, Jake Lacy, Jenny Slate, Paul Briganti, Polly Draper, Richard Kind
- For aspiring comedian Donna Stern (Jenny Slate), everyday life as a female twenty-something provides ample material for her incredibly relatable brand of humor. On stage, Donna is unapologetically herself, joking about topics as intimate as her sex life and as crude as her day-old underwear. But when Donna gets dumped, loses her job, and finds herself pregnant just in time for Valentine’s Day, she has to navigate the murky waters of independent adulthood for the first time. As she grapples with an uncertain financial future, an unwanted pregnancy, and a surprising new suitor, Donna begins to discover that the most terrifying thing about adulthood isn’t facing it all on her own. It’s allowing herself to accept the support and love of others. And be truly vulnerable. Never failing to find the comedy and humanity in each awkward situation she
encounters, Donna finds out along the way what it means to be as brave in life as she is on stage.
Available October 14th
The series based on the Coen brothers’ Oscar-winning film begins with the arrival of Lorne Malvo (Billy Bob Thornton) to Minnesota town. Lorne's actions brings major changes to the lives of insurance salesman Lester Nygaard (Martin Freeman); Officer Molly Solverson (Alison Tolman), the daughter of former chief (Keith Carradine); and single father Duluth Deputy Gus Grimly (Colin Hanks). Other people in town include grocery chain owner Stavros Milos (Oliver Platt), widow Gina Hess (Kate Walsh), and Deputy Bill Oswalt (Bob Odenkirk).
Mr. Peabody and Sherman
- Starring: Allison Janney, Leslie Mann, Max Charles, Mel Brooks, Stephen Colbert, Stephen Tobolowsky, Ty Burrell
- Using his ingenious invention, the WABAC machine, Mr. Peabody and his adopted boy Sherman hurtle back in time to experience world-changing events first-hand and interact with some of the greatest characters of all time. They find themselves in a race to repair history and save the future.
Whitey: United States of American v. James J. Bulger
Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger follows the trial of the infamous gangster James “Whitey” Bulger, using the courtroom action as a springboard to examine accusations of multi-faceted corruption within our nation’s law enforcement and legal systems. Throughout this violent and sordid story, the central question becomes the nature of Whitey's relationship with law enforcement. Was Bulger an informant, as everyone believes, or, as Bulger's lawyers claim, is there actual proof that this claim is yet more misinformation and obfuscation by the government in an attempt to protect itself and preserve its convictions?
X-Men: Days of Future Past
- Starring: Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, Patrick Stewart, Peter Dinklage
- The ultimate X-Men ensemble fights a war for the survival of the species across two time periods in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The characters from the original X-Men film trilogy join forces with their younger selves from X-Men: First Class in an epic battle that must change the past - to save our future.
Available October 21st
Earth To Echo
- Starring: Cassius Willis, Ella Wahlestedt, Jason Gray-Stanford, Kerry O'Malley, Reese C. Hartwig, Sonya Leslie-Shepherd, Teo Halm
- After a construction project begins digging in their neighborhood, best friends Tuck, Munch and Alex inexplicably begin to receive strange, encoded messages on their cell phones. Convinced something bigger is going on, they go to their parents and the authorities. When everyone around them refuses to take the messages seriously, the three embark on a secret adventure to crack the code and follow it to its source. But taking matters into their own hands gets the trio in way over their heads when they discover a mysterious being from another world who desperately needs their help. The epic, suspenseful and exciting journey that follows will change all of their lives forever.
- Starring: Cameron Diaz, Jason Segel, Rob Corddry
- When Jay and Annie first got together, their romantic connection was intense – but ten years and two kids later, the flame of their love needs a spark. To kick things up a notch, they decide to make a video of themselves trying out every position in The Joy of Sex in one marathon three-hour session. It seems like a great idea – until they discover that their most private video is no longer private. With their reputations on the line, they know they’re just one click away from being laid bare to the world, but as their race to reclaim their video leads to a night they’ll never forget, they’ll find that their video will expose even more than they bargained for.
- Starring: Beau Knapp, Brenton Thwaites, Laurence Fishburne, Lin Shaye, Olivia Cooke
- Three college students on a road trip across the Southwest experience a detour: the tracking of a computer genius who has already hacked into MIT and exposed security faults. The trio find themselves drawn to an eerily isolated area. Suddenly everything goes dark. When one of the students, Nic (Brenton Thwaites), regains consciousness, he is in a waking nightmare.
- Starring: Chris Evans, Ed Harris, Jamie Bell, Tilda Swinton
- In a future where a failed global-warming experiment kills off most life on the planet, a class system evolves aboard the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine.
Available October 28th
- Starring: Adam Levine, Hailee Steinfeld, Keira Knightley,Mark Ruffalo
- Gretta (Keira Knightley) and her long-time boyfriend Dave (Adam Levine) are college sweethearts and songwriting partners who decamp for New York when he lands a deal with a major label. But the trappings of his new-found fame soon tempt Dave to stray, and a reeling, lovelorn Gretta is left on her own. Her world takes a turn for the better when Dan (Mark Ruffalo), a disgraced record-label exec, stumbles upon her performing on an East Village stage and is immediately captivated by her raw talent. From this chance encounter emerges an enchanting portrait of a mutually transformative collaboration, set to the soundtrack of a summer in New York City.
Deliver Us From Evil
- Starring: Chris Coy, Édgar Ramírez, Eric Bana, Joel McHale, Lulu Wilson, Mike Houston, Olivia Munn,Sean Harris
- When New York police officer Ralph Sarchie (Eric Bana) begins to investigate a series of disturbing and inexplicable crimes, he joins forces with an unconventional priest (Edgar Ramírez), schooled in the rituals of exorcism, to combat the frightening and demonic possessions that are terrorizing their city.
Life of Crime
- Starring: Isla Fisher, Jennifer Aniston, John Hawkes, Mark Boone Junior, Mos Def, Tim Robbins, Will Forte
- The wife (Jennifer Aniston) of a corrupt real estate developer (Tim Robbins) is kidnapped by two common criminals (Yasiin Bey and John Hawkes), who intend to extort him with inside information about his crooked business and off-shore accounts. But the husband decides he'd actually rather not pay the ransom to get back his wife, setting off a sequence of double crosses and plot twists that could only come from the mind of Elmore Leonard.
Available November 4th
- Starring: Angelina Jolie, Brenton Thwaites, Elle Fanning,Imelda Staunton, India Eisley, Juno Temple, Kenneth Cranham, Lesley Manville, Miranda Richardson, Peter Capaldi, Sam Riley, Sharlto Copley
- Driven by revenge and a fierce desire to protect the moors over which she presides, Maleficent cruelly places an irrevocable curse upon the human king’s newborn infant Aurora. As the child grows, Aurora is caught in the middle of the seething conflict between the forest kingdom she has grown to love and the human kingdom that holds her legacy. Maleficent realizes that Aurora may hold the key to peace in the land and is forced to take drastic actions that will change both worlds forever.
A Most Wanted Man
- Starring: Daniel Brühl, Philip Seymour Hoffman
- When a half-Chechen, half-Russian immigrant turns up in Hamburg's Islamic community, laying claim to his father's ill-gotten fortune, both German and US security agencies take a close interest: as the clock ticks down and the stakes rise, the race is on to establish this most wanted man's true identity - oppressed victim or destruction-bent extremist?
The Newsroom - Season 2
Season 2 takes place over a five-day period leading up to Election Day 2012, and encompasses numerous flashbacks to earlier events from 2011 and 2012. One of the season's major story arcs involves a wrongful-termination lawsuit made by a staff member alleged to have doctored a report about a suspicious U.S. drone strike. As details about the suit's origin and aftermath emerge, The Newsroom team continues its quixotic mission to "do the news well" in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles, and their personal entanglements.
The One I Love
- Starring: Elisabeth Moss, Mark Duplass, Ted Danson
- On the brink of separation, Ethan (Mark Duplass) and Sophie (Elisabeth Moss) escape to a beautiful vacation house for a weekend getaway in an attempt to save their marriage. What begins as a romantic and fun retreat soon becomes surreal, when an unexpected discovery forces the two to examine themselves, their relationship, and their future.
Available November 11th
When Jenny (Anna Kendrick), a hard partying 20-something moves in with Kelly (Melanie Lynskey), a budding novelist, her film director husband (Joe Swanberg) and their two-year-old son after a break up, the family’s idyllic life is shaken. Jenny begins a rocky relationship with their baby sitter-cum-pot dealer (Mark Webber), and she and a friend, Carson (Lena Dunham), bring Kelly to the realization that an evolution in her life, career and relationship is necessary for her happiness.
How To Train Your Dragon 2
- Starring: America Ferrera, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Craig Ferguson, Gerard Butler, Jay Baruchel,Jonah Hill, Kristen Wiig
- It's been five years since Hiccup and Toothless successfully united dragons and vikings on the island of Berk. While Astrid, Snoutlout and the rest of the gang are challenging each other to dragon races (the island's new favorite contact sport), the now inseparable pair journey through the skies, charting unmapped territories and exploring new worlds. When one of their adventures leads to the discovery of a secret ice cave that is home to hundreds of new wild dragons and the mysterious Dragon Rider, the two friends find themselves at the center of a battle to protect the peace. Now, Hiccup and Toothless must unite to stand up for what they believe while recognizing that only together do they have the power to change the future of both men and dragons.
- Starring: Christopher Walken, Erich Bergen, John Lloyd Young, Michael Lomenda, Vincent Piazza
- Four young men from the wrong side of the tracks in New Jersey come together to form the iconic rock group The Four Seasons. The story of their trials and triumphs are accompanied by the songs they made famous, including “Sherry,” “Big Girls Don’t Cry,” “Walk Like a Man,” “Dawn,” “Rag Doll,” “Bye Bye Baby,” “Who Loves You,” and many more.
- Starring: Allison Janney, Dan Aykroyd, Gary Cole, Kathy Bates, Melissa McCarthy,Nat Faxon, Susan Sarandon,Toni Collette
- Tammy (Melissa McCarthy) is having a bad day. She's totaled her clunker car, gotten fired from her thankless job at a greasy burger joint, and instead of finding comfort at home, finds her husband getting comfortable with the neighbor in her own house. It's time to take her boom box and book it. The bad news is she's broke and without wheels. The worse news is her grandma, Pearl (Susan Sarandon), is her only option—with a car, cash, and an itch to see Niagara Falls. Not exactly the escape Tammy had in mind. But on the road, with grandma riding shot gun, it may be just what Tammy needs.
This web site is a real find for film buffs. You can find the name of that film you can't quite remember by searching by actor(s) or even by partial title. You can cross-reference by clicking on the actor in the cast list and find a list of all of his movies. Also listed (besides cast) are writers, directors and crew. TV shows are in the database as well. So, last week when I watched an episode of "House" and recognized 2 actors but couldn't remember from where (!) I was able to search (by season and episode list) and find the answers which would normally have either kept me up or come to me in a flash at 2 a.m. Give it a try. [Link] www.imdb.com.