Please note the following:
Most new DVDs are very popular! But don't be discouraged. If you place a hold on a dvd that we own, you will get it before patrons from other libraries.
To place a hold on one of these dvds, just click on the title or the cover art. This will bring you to the catalog record for that film and you can then place your hold.
Also note: Most of our feature film dvds are widescreen editions. If you prefer full screen, you will need to go to a different record in the catalog. But remember, you only get first preference (over patrons from other libraries) on Norfolk dvds.
(Plot synopses and cast lists courtesy of Metacritic.com unless otherwise noted.)
Available in September
- Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Denis Leary, Frank Langella, Jennifer Garner, Kevin Costner, Sam Elliott
- On the day of the NFL Draft, general manager Sonny Weaver (Kevin Costner) has the opportunity to save football in Cleveland when he trades for the number one pick. He must quickly decide what he's willing to sacrifice in pursuit of perfection as the lines between his personal andprofessional life become blurred on a life-changing day for a few hundred young men with dreams of playing in the NFL.
- Starring: Dakota Fanning, Jesse Eisenberg, Peter Sarsgaard
- As organic farmer Josh (Jesse Eisenberg), high society dropout Dena (Dakota Fanning) and ex-Marine Harmon (Peter Sarsgaard) plan, carry out and then witness the fallout of an attention-grabbing act of sabotage, they find their own personal limits tested.
- Starring: Amy Poehler, Bill Hader, Christopher Meloni,Cobie Smulders, Paul Rudd
- Joel (Paul Rudd), a candy company executive, threatens to close down Molly's (Amy Poehler) mom-and-pop candy store, but the unlikely pair begin to fall in love.
- Starring: Anthony Mackie, Chris Evans, Cobie Smulders, Hayley Atwell, Robert Redford, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan
- After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, lives quietly in Washington, D.C. trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy.
- Starring: Michele Simon
- Far more of us get sick from what we eat than anyone has ever realized. This potent exposé uncovers the food industry’s dirty secrets. This exploration reveals how, in the wake of media attention, public fascination with appearance and government policies pushing for change, generations of Americans will live shorter lives.
- Starring: Caleb Landry Jones, Christina Hendricks, John Turturro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Richard Jenkins
- In the gritty, blue-collar neighborhood of God's Pocket, Mickey Scarpato's crazy stepson, Leon, is killed in a construction “accident,” and Mickey quickly tries to bury the bad news with the body. But when a local columnist comes sniffing around for the truth, things go from bad to worse. Mickey finds himself stuck in a life-and-death struggle compounded by a body he can't bury, a wife he can't please, and a debt he can't pay.
- Starring: Emma Roberts, Jack Kilmer, James Franco, Nat Wolff, Zoe Levin
- Shy, sensitive April (Emma Roberts) is the class virgin—a popular soccer player and frequent babysitter for her single-dad coach, Mr. B. (James Franco). Teddy (Jack Kilmer) is an introspective artist whose best friend and sidekick Fred (Nat Wolff) is an unpredictable live wire with few filters or boundaries. While April negotiates a dangerous affair with Mr. B., and Teddy performs community service for a DUI—secretly carrying a torch for April, who may or may not share his affection—Fred seduces Emily (Zoe Levin), a promiscuous loner who seeks validation through sexual encounters. One high-school party bleeds into another as April and Teddy finally acknowledge their mutual affection, and Fred's escalating recklessness spirals into chaos.
- Starring: Amy Brenneman, Bruce Davison, Clive Owen,Juliette Binoche
- Prep school English teacher Jack Marcus (Clive Owen) laments his students' obsession with social media and good grades rather than engaging with the power of the written word. A one-time literary star, Jack has not published in years filling his spare time with drink versus the art of language. He meets his match in Dina Delsanto (Juliette Binoche)—an abstract painter and new teacher on campus, who was once celebrated for her art. From the start, the two flirt and provoke each other with equal relish. With a performance review looming and his teaching job on the line, Jack hatches an inspired plan for galvanizing student interest in their studies: he declares a war between Words and Pictures, confident that the former can convey greater meaning than the latter. Dina and her art students accept the challenge between Jack and his English students, and
the battle lines are drawn.
Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Toni Collete, Aaron Paul, Imogn Poots
Four lost souls – a disgraced TV presenter, a foul-mouthed teen, an isolated single mother and a solipsistic muso – decide to end their lives on the same night, New Year’s Eve. When this disillusioned quartet of strangers meet unintentionally at the same suicide hotspot, a London high-rise with the well-earned nickname Topper’s Tower, they mutually agree to call off their plans for six weeks, forming an unconventional, dysfunctional family, becoming media sensations as the Topper House Four and searching together for the reasons to keep on living. (Based on the Nick Hornsby novel)
- Starring: Ansel Elgort, Laura Dern, Nat Wolff, Sam Trammell, Shailene Woodley, Willem Dafoe
- Hazel (Shailene Woodley) and Gus (Ansel Elgort) are two extraordinary teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that takes them on an unforgettable journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous, given that they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.
- Starring: Aaron Johnson, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins
- The world’s most revered monster is reborn in a powerful story of human courage and reconciliation in the face of titanic forces of nature, when the awe-inspiring Godzilla rises to restore balance as humanity stands defenseless.
- Starring: David Field, Guy Pearce, Robert Pattinson, Scoot McNairy
- Ten years after the collapse of society, the rule of the law has disintegrated and life is cheap. Eric (Guy Pearce) travels the desolate towns and roads of the outback. When a gang of thieves steals his car they leave behind a wounded Rey (Robert Pattinson) in their wake. Forcing Rey to help track the gang, Eric will go to any lengths to take back the one thing that still matters to him.
- Starring: Lisa Kudrow, Rose Byrne, Seth Rogen, Zac Efron
- A young couple with a newborn baby face unexpected difficulties after they are forced to live next to a fraternity house.
- Starring: Bobby Cannavale, Dustin Hoffman, John Leguizamo, Jon Favreau, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Sofía Vergara
- Chef Carl Casper (Jon Favreau) loses his restaurant job, so he starts up a food truck in an effort to reclaim his creative promise, while piecing back together his estranged family.
- Starring: Don Johnson, Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard,Vinessa Shaw
- How can a split-second decision change your life? While investigating noises in his house one balmy Texas night in 1989, Richard Dane puts a bullet in the brain of a low-life burglar, Freddy Russell. Although he’s hailed as a small-town hero, Dane soon finds himself fearing for his family’s safety when Freddy’s ex-con father, Ben, rolls into town; hell-bent on revenge. However, not all is as it seems. Shortly after Dane kills the home intruder, his life begins to unravel into a dark underworld of corruption and violence. Twists and turns continue to pile up as the film reaches its inevitable destination: a gore-soaked dead end.
- Starring: Aaron Paul, Deke Garner, Jonny Mars, Josh Wiggins, Juliette Lewis
- Hard-drinking Texas single dad Hollis (Aaron Paul) struggles to raise his two boys, including rebellious teenager Jacob (Josh Wiggins). Seething with anger, Jacob finds release in the high-risk, white-knuckle world of motocross—but his increasingly reckless behavior threatens to spin out of control.
A rock journalist (Toni Collette) is assigned to track down her ex-boyfriend.
- Starring: Adrien Brody, James Franco, Kim Basinger, Liam Neeson, Maria Bello, Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde
- Three interlocking love stories involving three couples in three cities: Rome, Paris, and New York.
- Starring: Jack Reynor, Kelsey Grammer, Mark Wahlberg,Nicola Peltz, Peter Cullen, Stanley Tucci
- The fourth installment of the blockbuster franchise based on the Hasbro toy line.
Available October 7th
- Starring: Bill Paxton, Emily Blunt, Tom Cruise
- Lt. Col. Bill Cage (Tom Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to little more than a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop—forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again…and again. But with each battle, Cage becomes able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt). And, as Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy.
Masters of Sex - Season One
Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan star as pioneering human sexuality researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson in a 1950s-set drama based on a book by Thomas Maier. Original Showtime Production.
- Starring: Aasif Mandvi, Alan Arkin, Bill Paxton, Jon Hamm,Lake Bell, Madhur Mittal, Pitobash, Suraj Sharma
- In a last ditch effort to save his career as a sports agent, JB Bernstein (Jon Hamm) concocts a scheme to find baseball's next great pitching ace. Hoping to find a young cricket pitcher he can turn into a major league baseball star, JB travels to India to produce a reality show competition called "Million Dollar Arm." With the help of a cantankerous but eagle-eyed retired baseball scout (Alan Arkin) he discovers Dinesh (Madhur Mittal) and Rinku (Suraj Sharma), two 18 year old boys who have no idea about playing baseball, yet have a knack for throwing a fastball. Hoping to sign them to major league contracts and make a quick buck, JB brings the boys home to America to train. While the Americans are definitely out of their element in India - the boys, who have never left their rural villages - are equally challenged when they come to the States.
As the boys learn the finer points of baseball, JB, with the help of his charming friend Brenda (Lake Bell), learns valuable life lessons about teamwork, commitment and what it means to be a family.
- Starring: Amanda Seyfried, Charlize Theron, Liam Neeson,Neil Patrick Harris, Sarah Silverman, Seth MacFarlane
- After a cowardly sheep farmer backs out of a gunfight, his fickle girlfriend leaves him for another man. When a mysterious and beautiful woman rides into town, she helps him find his courage and they begin to fall in love. But when her husband, a notorious outlaw, arrives seeking revenge, the farmer must put his newfound courage to the test.
- Starring: David Cross, Gaby Hoffmann, Jake Lacy, Jenny Slate, Paul Briganti, Polly Draper, Richard Kind
- For aspiring comedian Donna Stern (Jenny Slate), everyday life as a female twenty-something provides ample material for her incredibly relatable brand of humor. On stage, Donna is unapologetically herself, joking about topics as intimate as her sex life and as crude as her day-old underwear. But when Donna gets dumped, loses her job, and finds herself pregnant just in time for Valentine’s Day, she has to navigate the murky waters of independent adulthood for the first time. As she grapples with an uncertain financial future, an unwanted pregnancy, and a surprising new suitor, Donna begins to discover that the most terrifying thing about adulthood isn’t facing it all on her own. It’s allowing herself to accept the support and love of others. And be truly vulnerable. Never failing to find the comedy and humanity in each awkward situation she
encounters, Donna finds out along the way what it means to be as brave in life as she is on stage.
Available October 14th
The series based on the Coen brothers’ Oscar-winning film begins with the arrival of Lorne Malvo (Billy Bob Thornton) to Minnesota town. Lorne's actions brings major changes to the lives of insurance salesman Lester Nygaard (Martin Freeman); Officer Molly Solverson (Alison Tolman), the daughter of former chief (Keith Carradine); and single father Duluth Deputy Gus Grimly (Colin Hanks). Other people in town include grocery chain owner Stavros Milos (Oliver Platt), widow Gina Hess (Kate Walsh), and Deputy Bill Oswalt (Bob Odenkirk).
- Starring: Allison Janney, Leslie Mann, Max Charles, Mel Brooks, Stephen Colbert, Stephen Tobolowsky, Ty Burrell
- Using his ingenious invention, the WABAC machine, Mr. Peabody and his adopted boy Sherman hurtle back in time to experience world-changing events first-hand and interact with some of the greatest characters of all time. They find themselves in a race to repair history and save the future.
Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger follows the trial of the infamous gangster James “Whitey” Bulger, using the courtroom action as a springboard to examine accusations of multi-faceted corruption within our nation’s law enforcement and legal systems. Throughout this violent and sordid story, the central question becomes the nature of Whitey's relationship with law enforcement. Was Bulger an informant, as everyone believes, or, as Bulger's lawyers claim, is there actual proof that this claim is yet more misinformation and obfuscation by the government in an attempt to protect itself and preserve its convictions?
- Starring: Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, Patrick Stewart, Peter Dinklage
- The ultimate X-Men ensemble fights a war for the survival of the species across two time periods in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The characters from the original X-Men film trilogy join forces with their younger selves from X-Men: First Class in an epic battle that must change the past - to save our future.
Available October 21st
- Starring: Cassius Willis, Ella Wahlestedt, Jason Gray-Stanford, Kerry O'Malley, Reese C. Hartwig, Sonya Leslie-Shepherd, Teo Halm
- After a construction project begins digging in their neighborhood, best friends Tuck, Munch and Alex inexplicably begin to receive strange, encoded messages on their cell phones. Convinced something bigger is going on, they go to their parents and the authorities. When everyone around them refuses to take the messages seriously, the three embark on a secret adventure to crack the code and follow it to its source. But taking matters into their own hands gets the trio in way over their heads when they discover a mysterious being from another world who desperately needs their help. The epic, suspenseful and exciting journey that follows will change all of their lives forever.
Zach (Dane DeHaan) is devastated after his girlfriend, Beth (Aubrey Plaza), unexpectedly dies. When she suddenly rises from the dead, he sees it as a second chance and decides to do and say every thing he wishes he had while she was still alive.
- Starring: Cameron Diaz, Jason Segel, Rob Corddry
- When Jay and Annie first got together, their romantic connection was intense – but ten years and two kids later, the flame of their love needs a spark. To kick things up a notch, they decide to make a video of themselves trying out every position in The Joy of Sex in one marathon three-hour session. It seems like a great idea – until they discover that their most private video is no longer private. With their reputations on the line, they know they’re just one click away from being laid bare to the world, but as their race to reclaim their video leads to a night they’ll never forget, they’ll find that their video will expose even more than they bargained for.
- Starring: Beau Knapp, Brenton Thwaites, Laurence Fishburne, Lin Shaye, Olivia Cooke
- Three college students on a road trip across the Southwest experience a detour: the tracking of a computer genius who has already hacked into MIT and exposed security faults. The trio find themselves drawn to an eerily isolated area. Suddenly everything goes dark. When one of the students, Nic (Brenton Thwaites), regains consciousness, he is in a waking nightmare.
- Starring: Chris Evans, Ed Harris, Jamie Bell, Tilda Swinton
- In a future where a failed global-warming experiment kills off most life on the planet, a class system evolves aboard the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine.
Available October 28th
- Starring: Adam Levine, Hailee Steinfeld, Keira Knightley,Mark Ruffalo
- Gretta (Keira Knightley) and her long-time boyfriend Dave (Adam Levine) are college sweethearts and songwriting partners who decamp for New York when he lands a deal with a major label. But the trappings of his new-found fame soon tempt Dave to stray, and a reeling, lovelorn Gretta is left on her own. Her world takes a turn for the better when Dan (Mark Ruffalo), a disgraced record-label exec, stumbles upon her performing on an East Village stage and is immediately captivated by her raw talent. From this chance encounter emerges an enchanting portrait of a mutually transformative collaboration, set to the soundtrack of a summer in New York City.
Deliver Us From Evil
- Starring: Chris Coy, Édgar Ramírez, Eric Bana, Joel McHale, Lulu Wilson, Mike Houston, Olivia Munn,Sean Harris
- When New York police officer Ralph Sarchie (Eric Bana) begins to investigate a series of disturbing and inexplicable crimes, he joins forces with an unconventional priest (Edgar Ramírez), schooled in the rituals of exorcism, to combat the frightening and demonic possessions that are terrorizing their city.
Life of Crime
- Starring: Isla Fisher, Jennifer Aniston, John Hawkes, Mark Boone Junior, Mos Def, Tim Robbins, Will Forte
- The wife (Jennifer Aniston) of a corrupt real estate developer (Tim Robbins) is kidnapped by two common criminals (Yasiin Bey and John Hawkes), who intend to extort him with inside information about his crooked business and off-shore accounts. But the husband decides he'd actually rather not pay the ransom to get back his wife, setting off a sequence of double crosses and plot twists that could only come from the mind of Elmore Leonard.
- Starring: 50 Cent, Bruce Willis, Gia Mantegna, Jason Patric, Jessica Lowndes, John Cusack, Rain
- A retired assassin is drawn back into the life he gave up when his daughter is kidnapped. To rescue her, he must confront his former rival.
Available November 4th
- Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Ian McShane, John Hurt, Joseph Fiennes, Rufus Sewell
- Both man and myth, Hercules (Dwayne Johnson) leads a band of mercenaries to help end a bloody civil war in the land of Thrace and return the rightful king to his throne. A tormented soul from birth, Hercules has the strength of a God but feels the suffering of a human.
- Starring: Angelina Jolie, Brenton Thwaites, Elle Fanning,Imelda Staunton, India Eisley, Juno Temple, Kenneth Cranham, Lesley Manville, Miranda Richardson, Peter Capaldi, Sam Riley, Sharlto Copley
- Driven by revenge and a fierce desire to protect the moors over which she presides, Maleficent cruelly places an irrevocable curse upon the human king’s newborn infant Aurora. As the child grows, Aurora is caught in the middle of the seething conflict between the forest kingdom she has grown to love and the human kingdom that holds her legacy. Maleficent realizes that Aurora may hold the key to peace in the land and is forced to take drastic actions that will change both worlds forever.
A Most Wanted Man
- Starring: Daniel Brühl, Philip Seymour Hoffman
- When a half-Chechen, half-Russian immigrant turns up in Hamburg's Islamic community, laying claim to his father's ill-gotten fortune, both German and US security agencies take a close interest: as the clock ticks down and the stakes rise, the race is on to establish this most wanted man's true identity - oppressed victim or destruction-bent extremist?
The Newsroom - Season 2
Season 2 takes place over a five-day period leading up to Election Day 2012, and encompasses numerous flashbacks to earlier events from 2011 and 2012. One of the season's major story arcs involves a wrongful-termination lawsuit made by a staff member alleged to have doctored a report about a suspicious U.S. drone strike. As details about the suit's origin and aftermath emerge, The Newsroom team continues its quixotic mission to "do the news well" in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles, and their personal entanglements.
The One I Love
- Starring: Elisabeth Moss, Mark Duplass, Ted Danson
- On the brink of separation, Ethan (Mark Duplass) and Sophie (Elisabeth Moss) escape to a beautiful vacation house for a weekend getaway in an attempt to save their marriage. What begins as a romantic and fun retreat soon becomes surreal, when an unexpected discovery forces the two to examine themselves, their relationship, and their future.
Available November 11th
When Jenny (Anna Kendrick), a hard partying 20-something moves in with Kelly (Melanie Lynskey), a budding novelist, her film director husband (Joe Swanberg) and their two-year-old son after a break up, the family’s idyllic life is shaken. Jenny begins a rocky relationship with their baby sitter-cum-pot dealer (Mark Webber), and she and a friend, Carson (Lena Dunham), bring Kelly to the realization that an evolution in her life, career and relationship is necessary for her happiness.
How To Train Your Dragon 2
- Starring: America Ferrera, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Craig Ferguson, Gerard Butler, Jay Baruchel,Jonah Hill, Kristen Wiig
- It's been five years since Hiccup and Toothless successfully united dragons and vikings on the island of Berk. While Astrid, Snoutlout and the rest of the gang are challenging each other to dragon races (the island's new favorite contact sport), the now inseparable pair journey through the skies, charting unmapped territories and exploring new worlds. When one of their adventures leads to the discovery of a secret ice cave that is home to hundreds of new wild dragons and the mysterious Dragon Rider, the two friends find themselves at the center of a battle to protect the peace. Now, Hiccup and Toothless must unite to stand up for what they believe while recognizing that only together do they have the power to change the future of both men and dragons.
- Starring: Christopher Walken, Erich Bergen, John Lloyd Young, Michael Lomenda, Vincent Piazza
- Four young men from the wrong side of the tracks in New Jersey come together to form the iconic rock group The Four Seasons. The story of their trials and triumphs are accompanied by the songs they made famous, including “Sherry,” “Big Girls Don’t Cry,” “Walk Like a Man,” “Dawn,” “Rag Doll,” “Bye Bye Baby,” “Who Loves You,” and many more.
- Starring: Allison Janney, Dan Aykroyd, Gary Cole, Kathy Bates, Melissa McCarthy,Nat Faxon, Susan Sarandon,Toni Collette
- Tammy (Melissa McCarthy) is having a bad day. She's totaled her clunker car, gotten fired from her thankless job at a greasy burger joint, and instead of finding comfort at home, finds her husband getting comfortable with the neighbor in her own house. It's time to take her boom box and book it. The bad news is she's broke and without wheels. The worse news is her grandma, Pearl (Susan Sarandon), is her only option—with a car, cash, and an itch to see Niagara Falls. Not exactly the escape Tammy had in mind. But on the road, with grandma riding shot gun, it may be just what Tammy needs.
Available November 18th
22 Jump Street
- Starring: Channing Tatum, Ice Cube, Jonah Hill, Nick Offerman, Peter Stormare
- After making their way through high school (twice), big changes are in store for officers Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) when they go deep undercover at a local college. But when Jenko meets a kindred spirit on the football team, and Schmidt infiltrates the bohemian art major scene, they begin to question their partnership. Now they don't have to just crack the case - they have to figure out if they can have a mature relationship. If these two overgrown adolescents can grow from freshmen into real men, college might be the best thing that ever happened to them.
And So It Goes
Oren Little (Michael Douglas), a self-centered realtor, enlists the help of his neighbor, Leah (Diane Keaton), when his estranged son leaves him in charge of the granddaughter he never knew existed.
If I Stay
- Starring: Chloë Grace Moretz, Chloe Moretz, Jamie Blackley, Joshua Leonard, Mireille Enos
- Mia Hall (Chloë Grace Moretz) thought the hardest decision she would ever face would be whether to pursue her musical dreams at Juilliard or follow a different path to be with the love of her life, Adam (Jamie Blackley). But what should have been a carefree family drive changes everything in an instant, and now her own life hangs in the balance. Caught between life and death for one revealing day, Mia has only one decision left, which will not only decide her future but her ultimate fate.
Into the Storm
- Starring: Matt Walsh, Max Deacon, Nathan Kress, Richard Armitage, Sarah Wayne Callies
- In the span of a single day, the town of Silverton is ravaged by an unprecedented onslaught of tornadoes. The entire town is at the mercy of the erratic and deadly cyclones, even as storm trackers predict the worst is yet to come. Most people seek shelter, while others run towards the vortex, testing how far a storm chaser will go for that once-in-a-lifetime shot.
- Starring: Frank Grillo, Jack Conley, John Beasley, Justina Machado, Kiele Sanchez, Noel Gugliemi,Zach Gilford, Zoe Borde, Zoë Soul
- On the night of the annual Purge, five citizens find out just how far they will go to protect themselves and, ultimately, each other, as they fight to survive a night fraught with impossible decisions.
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- Starring: Clive Owen, Jessica Alba, Joseph Gordon-Levitt,Josh Brolin, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, Rosario Dawson
- Sin City's most hard-boiled citizens cross paths with some of its more reviled inhabitants.
Available November 25th
The November Man
- Starring: Amila Terzimehic, Bill Smitrovich, Luke Bracey,Olga Kurylenko, Pierce Brosnan
- Peter Devereaux (Pierce Brosnan), aka The November Man, is an extremely dangerous and highly trained ex-CIA agent. Lured out of retirement for one last mission, Devereaux must protect Alice Fournier (Olga Kurylenko), a valuable witness who could expose a decades-long conspiracy. This assignment makes him a target of his former friend and CIA protégé David Mason (Luke Bracey). With growing suspicions of a mole in the agency, there is no one Devereaux can trust.
- Starring: Adam Driver, Daniel Radcliffe, Jemima Rooper,Mackenzie Davis, Megan Park, Rafe Spall, Zoe Kazan
- Medical school dropout Wallace (Daniel Radcliffe) has been repeatedly burned by bad relationships. So while everyone around him, including his roommate Allan (Adam Driver) seems to be finding the perfect partner (Mackenzie Davis), Wallace decides to put his love life on hold. It is then that he meets Chantry (Zoe Kazan) an animator who lives with her longtime boyfriend Ben (Rafe Spall). Wallace and Chantry form an instant connection, striking up a close friendship. Still, there is no denying the chemistry between them, leading the pair to wonder, what if the love of your life is actually your best friend?
Wish I Was Here
- Starring: Donald Faison, Joey King, Kate Hudson, Mandy Patinkin, Pierce Gagnon, Zach Braff
- Aidan Bloom, a 35-year-old struggling actor, father and husband is still trying to find his identity, a purpose for his life. He winds up trying to home school his two children when his father can no longer afford to pay for private education and the only available public school is on its last legs. Through teaching them about life his way, Aidan gradually discovers some of the parts of himself he couldn't find.
Available December 2nd
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- Starring: Andy Serkis, Gary Oldman, Jason Clarke, Judy Greer, Keri Russell, Kodi Smit-McPhee
- A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species.
The Hundred-Foot Journey
- Starring: Amit Shah, Aria Pandya, Charlotte Le Bon, Dillon Mitra, Farzana Dua Elahe, Helen Mirren, Manish Dayal, Michel Blanc, Om Puri
- Hassan Kadam (Manish Dayal) is a culinary ingénue. Displaced from their native India, the Kadam family, led by Papa (Om Puri), settles in the quaint village of Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val in the south of France. Filled with charm, it is both picturesque and elegant – the ideal place to settle down and open an Indian restaurant, the Maison Mumbai. That is, until the chilly chef proprietress of Le Saule Pleureur, a Michelin starred, classical French restaurant run by Madame Mallory (Helen Mirren), gets wind of it. Her icy protests against the new Indian restaurant a hundred feet from her own, escalate to all out war between the two establishments – until Hassan’s passion for French haute cuisine and for Mme. Mallory’s enchanting sous chef, Marguerite (Charlotte Le Bon), combine with his mysteriously delicious talent to weave magic between their two
cultures and imbue Saint-Antonin with the flavors of life that even Mme. Mallory cannot ignore. At first Mme. Mallory’s culinary rival, she eventually recognizes Hassan’s gift as a chef and takes him under her wing.
Available December 9th
- Starring: Domhnall Gleeson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Michael Fassbender
- A young wannabe musician, Jon (Domhnall Gleeson), finds himself out of his depth when he joins an avant-garde pop band led by the mysterious and enigmatic Frank (Michael Fassbender), a musical genius who hides himself inside a large fake head, and his terrifying bandmate Clara (Maggie Gyllenhaal).
Guardians of the Galaxy
- Starring: Bradley Cooper, Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Lee Pace, Vin Diesel, Zoe Saldana
- Brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits — Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon, Groot, a tree-like humanoid, the deadly and enigmatic Gamora and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Peter discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand — with the galaxy’s fate in the balance.
Available December 16th
Magic in the Moonlight
- Starring: Catherine McCormack, Colin Firth, Emma Stone, Hamish Linklater, Simon McBurney
- Magic in the Moonlight is a romantic comedy about an Englishman brought in to help unmask a possible swindle. Personal and professional complications ensue. The film is set in the south of France in the 1920s against a backdrop of wealthy mansions, the Côte d’Azur, jazz joints and fashionable spots for the wealthy of the Jazz Age.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Starring: Danny Woodburn, Jeremy Howard, Megan Fox,Noel Fisher, Whoopi Goldberg, Will Arnett, William Fichtner
- The city needs heroes. Darkness has settled over New York City as Shredder and his evil Foot Clan have an iron grip on everything from the police to the politicians. The future is grim until four unlikely outcast brothers rise from the sewers and discover their destiny as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Turtles must work with fearless reporter April and her wise-cracking cameraman Vern Fenwick to save the city and unravel Shredder’s diabolical plan.
Available December 23rd
- Starring: Bill Nighy, Dominic West, Imelda Staunton, Paddy Considine
- It’s the summer of 1984. Margaret Thatcher is in power and the National Union of Mineworkers is on strike, prompting a London-based group of gay and lesbian activists to raise money to support the strikers’ families. Initially rebuffed by the Union, the group identifies a tiny mining village in Wales and sets off to make their donation in person. As the strike drags on, the two groups discover that standing together makes for the strongest union of all.
The Trip to Italy
- Starring: Claire Keelan, Marta Barrio, Rob Brydon, Rosie Fellner, Steve Coogan
- Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon reunite for a new culinary road trip, retracing the steps of the Romantic poets’ grand tour of Italy and indulging in some sparkling banter and impersonation-offs. Rewhetting our palates from the earlier film, the characters enjoy mouthwatering meals in gorgeous settings from Liguria to Capri while riffing on subjects as varied as Batman’s vocal register, the artistic merits of “Jagged Little Pill,” and, of course, the virtue of sequels.
This web site is a real find for film buffs. You can find the name of that film you can't quite remember by searching by actor(s) or even by partial title. You can cross-reference by clicking on the actor in the cast list and find a list of all of his movies. Also listed (besides cast) are writers, directors and crew. TV shows are in the database as well. So, last week when I watched an episode of "House" and recognized 2 actors but couldn't remember from where (!) I was able to search (by season and episode list) and find the answers which would normally have either kept me up or come to me in a flash at 2 a.m. Give it a try. [Link] www.imdb.com.