Please note the following:
Most new DVDs are very popular! But don't be discouraged. If you place a hold on a dvd that we own, you will get it before patrons from other libraries.
To place a hold on one of these dvds, just click on the title or the cover art. This will bring you to the catalog record for that film and you can then place your hold.
Also note: Most of our feature film dvds are widescreen editions. If you prefer full screen, you will need to go to a different record in the catalog. But remember, you only get first preference (over patrons from other libraries) on Norfolk dvds.
(Plot synopses and cast lists courtesy of Metacritic.com unless otherwise noted.)
Available in April
- Starring: Albert Brooks, Alessandro Nivola, David Oyelowo, Jessica Chastain, Oscar Isaac, Peter Gerety
- In New York City during the winter of 1981, statistically one of the most violent years in the city's history, an immigrant and his family try to expand their business and capitalize on opportunities as the rampant violence, decay, and corruption of the day drag them in and threaten to destroy all they have built.
Once upon a time, Keith Michaels (Hugh Grant) was an Award-winning Hollywood screenwriter, but divorce and a string of unsuccessful films have left him with nothing but bad debts and blank pages. So when his agent arranges a job as guest screenwriting professor at a remote university in upstate New York, a desperate Keith can’t say no. Initially hoping to give minimal effort to actual teaching so he can focus on his next script, Keith unexpectedly finds himself becoming invested in his students lives, including Holly (Marisa Tomei), a single mom looking to start her own new chapter.
During a six-month stint inside a West Australian prison, rookie criminal JR (Brenton Thwaites) meets the smart and enigmatic Brendan Lynch (Ewan McGregor). In exchange for protection on the inside, JR agrees to help Brendan get outside, hooking up with the influential Sam Lennox (Jacek Koman) to orchestrate a daring prison escape that frees Brendan. JR is rewarded for his efforts, and with a taste of the high life and flirtations with Sam’s beautiful girl Tasha (Alicia Vikander), he gets sucked deeper into Brendan’s criminal world. Brendan convinces him to join on another high stakes job – robbing a Kalgoorlie gold mine. But with millions of dollars at stake, it’s hard to tell whom JR can trust, and whose side each player is actually on. And with his feelings for Tasha increasing, and his faith in Brendan decreasing, JR must figure
out his next move.
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Gemma Arterton, Anne Kendrick, Jacki Weaver
A disturbed factory worker (Ryan Reynolds) who hears advice from his pet dog and cat is implicated in the accidental death of his co-worker.
- Starring: Hope Davis, Jason Alexander, Jason Statham, Max Casella, Michael Angarano,Milo Ventimiglia, Sofía Vergara, Stanley Tucci
- Nick Wild (Jason Statham) is a Las Vegas bodyguard with lethal professional skills and a personal gambling problem. When a friend is beaten by a sadistic thug, Nick strikes back, only to find out the thug is the son of a powerful mob boss. Suddenly Nick is plunged into the criminal underworld, chased by enforcers and wanted by the mob. Having raised the stakes, Nick has one last play to change his fortunes, and this time, it's all or nothing.
- Starring: Barbara West, Daniel Henshall, Essie Davis,Hayley McElhinney, Noah Wiseman
- Six years after the violent death of her husband, Amelia (Essie Davis) is at a loss. She struggles to discipline her ‘out of control’ 6 year-old, Samuel (Noah Wiseman), a son she finds impossible to love. Samuel’s dreams are plagued by a monster he believes is coming to kill them both. When a disturbing storybook called The Babadook turns up at their house, Samuel is convinced that the Babadook is the creature he’s been dreaming about. His hallucinations spiral out of control, and he becomes more unpredictable and violent. Amelia, genuinely frightened by her son’s behavior, is forced to medicate him. But when Amelia begins to see glimpses of a sinister presence all around her, it slowly dawns on her that the thing Samuel has been warning her about may be real.
- Starring: Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz
- Big Eyes is based on the true story of Walter Keane (Christoph Waltz), who was one of the most successful painters of the 1950s and early 1960s. The artist earned staggering notoriety by revolutionizing the commercialization and accessibility of popular art with his enigmatic paintings of waifs with big eyes. The truth would eventually be discovered though: Keane's art was actually not created by him at all, but by his wife, Margaret (Amy Adams). The Keanes, it seemed, had been living a lie that had grown to gigantic proportions. Big Eyes centers on Margaret's awakening as an artist, the phenomenal success of her paintings, and her tumultuous relationship with her husband, who was catapulted to international fame while taking credit for her work.
- Starring: John Cusack, Julianne Moore, Mia Wasikowska,Robert Pattinson
- Meet the Weiss family, who are making their way in Hollywood rife with money, fame, envy, and relentless hauntings. Stafford Weiss (John Cusack) is a famed TV self-help therapist with an A-list celebrity clientele. Meanwhile, Cristina Weiss (Olivia Williams) has her work cut out managing the career of their disaffected child-star son, Benjie (Evan Bird), a fresh graduate of rehab at age 13. Yet unbeknownst to them, another member of the Weiss family has arrived in town - mysteriously scarred and tormented Agatha (Mia Wasikowska), just released from a psych ward and ready to start again. She soon works her way into a friendship with a limo driver (Robert Pattinson) and becomes personal assistant to unraveling actress Havana Segrand (Julianne Moore), who is beset by the ghost of her legendary mother, Clarice (Sarah Gadon). But Agatha is on a quest for
redemption - and even in this realm of the artificial, and the unearthly, she's determined to find it, no matter what it takes.
- Starring: Anna Kendrick, Chris Messina, Felicity Huffman, Jennifer Aniston, Lucy Punch, Mamie Gummer, Sam Worthington, William H. Macy
- Claire Simmons (Jennifer Aniston), a woman in a chronic-pain support group, investigates the suicide of a fellow group member, developing an unexpected relationship with the woman’s husband (Sam Worthington).
- Starring: Famke Janssen, Forest Whitaker, Liam Neeson,Maggie Grace
- Liam Neeson returns as ex-covert operative Bryan Mills, whose reconciliation with his ex-wife is tragically cut short when she is brutally murdered. Consumed with rage, and framed for the crime, he goes on the run to evade the relentless pursuit of the CIA, FBI and the police. For one last time, Mills must use his “particular set of skills,” to track down the real killers, exact his unique brand of justice, and protect the only thing that matters to him now – his daughter.
Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Siddhartha Mukherjee, the six-hour documentary directed by Barak Goodman (and executive produced by Ken Burns) explores the history of cancer and the latest medical advances with stories of real-life patients.
- Starring: Brie Larson, Jessica Lange, John Goodman,Mark Wahlberg, Michael K. Williams, Richard Schiff
- Jim Bennett (Mark Wahlberg) is a risk taker. Both an English professor and a high-stakes gambler, Bennett bets it all when he borrows from a gangster (Michael Kenneth Williams) and offers his own life as collateral. Always one step ahead, Bennett pits his creditor against the operator of a gambling ring (Alvin Ing) and leaves his dysfunctional relationship with his wealthy mother (Jessica Lange) in his wake. He plays both sides, immersing himself in an illicit, underground world while garnering the attention of Frank (John Goodman), a loan shark with a paternal interest in Bennett’s future. As his relationship with a student (Brie Larson) deepens, Bennett must take the ultimate risk for a second chance.
- Starring: Robson Green, Tessa Peake-Jones, Morven Christie
- Vicar Sidney Chambers (James Norton) helps Detective Inspector Keating (Robson Green) solve crimes in 1950s Grantchester in this ITV drama series based on The Grantchester Mysteries books by James Runcie.
- Starring: Benicio Del Toro, Jena Malone, Joaquin Phoenix,Josh Brolin, Katherine Waterston, Martin Short, Maya Rudolph, Owen Wilson, Reese Witherspoon
- When private eye Doc Sportello’s ex-old lady suddenly out of nowhere shows up with a story about her current billionaire land developer boyfriend whom she just happens to be in love with, and a plot by his wife and her boyfriend to kidnap that billionaire and throw him in a loony bin...well, easy for her to say. It’s the tail end of the psychedelic `60s and paranoia is running the day and Doc knows that “love” is another of those words going around at the moment, like “trip” or “groovy,” that’s being way too overused—except this one usually leads to trouble.
During the chaotic final days of the Vietnam War, the North Vietnamese Army closes in on Saigon as South Vietnamese resistance crumbles. The United States has only a skeleton crew of diplomats and military operatives still in the country. As Communist victory becomes inevitable and the U.S. readies to withdraw, some Americans begin to consider the certain imprisonment and possible death of their South Vietnamese allies, co-workers, and friends. Meanwhile, the prospect of an official evacuation of South Vietnamese becomes terminally delayed by Congressional gridlock and the inexplicably optimistic U.S. Ambassador. With the clock ticking and the city under fire, a number of heroic Americans take matters into their own hands, engaging in unsanctioned and often makeshift operations in a desperate effort to save as many South Vietnamese lives as
- Starring: Hugh Bonneville, Jim Broadbent, Julie Walters,Nicole Kidman, Sally Hawkins
- From the beloved novels by Michael Bond, Paddington tells the story of the comic misadventures of a young Peruvian bear who travels to the city in search of a home. Finding himself lost and alone, he begins to realize that city life is not all he had imagined – until he meets the kindly Brown family who read the label around his neck that says “Please look after this bear. Thank you,” and offer him a temporary haven. It looks as though his luck has changed until this rarest of bears catches the eye of a museum taxidermist.
- Starring: Josh Gad, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Kevin Hart
- Doug Harris (Josh Gad) is a loveable but socially awkward groom-to-be with a problem: he has no best man. With less than two weeks to go until he marries the girl of his dreams (Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting), Doug is referred to Jimmy Callahan (Kevin Hart), owner and CEO of Best Man, Inc., a company that provides flattering best men for socially challenged guys in need. What ensues is a hilarious wedding charade as they try to pull off the big con, and an unexpected budding bromance between Doug and his fake best man Jimmy.
The adaptation of Hilary Mantel's novels about the rise of Thomas Cromwell (Mark Rylance) during the reign King Henry VIII (Damian Lewis) is co-produced for BBC Two and Masterpiece.
Available May 5th
- Starring: Anthony Mackie, Gillian Jacobs, Kevin Costner,Octavia Spencer
- When a grandfather (Kevin Costner) is suddenly left to care for his beloved granddaughter, her paternal grandmother (Octavia Spencer) seeks custody with the help of her brother (Anthony Mackie). With the best intentions at heart, both families fight for what they feel is right and are soon forced to confront their true feelings about race, forgiveness, and understanding.
- Starring: Anna Kendrick, Jeremy Jordan
- Jamie Wellerstein (Jeremy Jordan) is a young, talented up and coming novelist who falls in love with Cathy Hiatt (Anna Kendrick), a struggling actress. Their story is told almost entirely through songs using an intercutting time line device; all of Cathy’s songs begin at the end of their marriage and move backwards in time to the beginning of their love affair while Jamie’s songs start at the beginning of their affair and move forward to the end of their relationship.
- Starring: Christina Hendricks, Eva Mendes, Iain De Caestecker, Matt Smith, Saoirse Ronan
- Set against the surreal dreamscape of a vanishing city, Billy (Christina Hendricks), a single mother of two, is swept into a macabre and dark fantasy underworld while her teenage son, Bones, discovers a secret road leading to an underwater town. Both Billy and Bones must dive deep into the mystery if their family is to survive.
Since the moment they met at age 5, Rosie (Lily Collins) and Alex (Sam Claflin) have been best friends, facing the highs and lows of growing up side by side. A fleeting shared moment, one missed opportunity, and the decisions that follow send their lives in completely different directions. As each navigates the complexities of life, love, and everything in between, they always find their way back to each other - but is it just friendship, or something more?
- Starring: Nicholas D'Agosto, Lizzy Caplan, Michael Sheen
- Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan star as pioneering human sexuality researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson in a 1950s-set drama based on a book by Thomas Maier.
- Starring: Dorothy Atkinson, Karl Johnson,Lesley Manville, Marion Bailey, Ruth Sheen,Sandy Foster, Timothy Spall
- Mr. Turner explores the last quarter century of the life of the great if eccentric British painter J.M.W. Turner (Timothy Spall). Profoundly affected by the death of his father, loved by a housekeeper he takes for granted and occasionally exploits sexually, he forms a close relationship with a seaside landlady with whom he eventually lives incognito in Chelsea, where he dies. Throughout this, he travels, paints, stays with the country aristocracy, visits brothels, is a popular if anarchic member of the Royal Academy of Arts, has himself strapped to the mast of a ship so that he can paint a snowstorm, and is both celebrated and reviled by the public and by royalty.
- Starring: Andre Holland, Carmen Ejogo, Common, David Oyelowo, Giovanni Ribisi, Lorraine Toussaint, Tim Roth,Tom Wilkinson, Wendell Pierce
- In 1965, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (David Oyelowo) leads a dangerous campaign to secure equal voting rights in the face of violent opposition. The march from Selma to Montgomery culminates in President Johnson (Tom Wilkinson) signing the Voting Rights Act of 1965, one of the most significant victories for the civil rights movement.
Available May 8th
- Starring: Dakota Johnson, Jamie Dornan
- Recent college graduate Anastasia Steele begins a sexually charged relationship with handsome, yet tormented billionaire Christian Grey.
Available May 12th
Max Simkin (Adam Sandler) repairs shoes in the same New York shop that has been in his family for generations. Disenchanted with the grind of daily life, Max stumbles upon a magical heirloom that allows him to step into the lives of his customers and see the world in a new way. Sometimes walking in another man's shoes is the only way to discover who you really are.
- Starring: Ewan McGregor, Gwyneth Paltrow, Johnny Depp, Olivia Munn
- Juggling some angry Russians, the British Mi5, his impossibly leggy wife and an international terrorist, debonair art dealer and part time rogue Charlie Mortdecai (Johnny Depp) must traverse the globe armed only with his good looks and special charm in a race to recover a stolen painting rumored to contain the code to a lost bank account filled with Nazi gold.
- Starring: Alec Baldwin, Hunter Parrish, Julianne Moore,Kate Bosworth, Kristen Stewart, Seth Gilliam, Shane McRae
- Alice Howland (Julianne Moore), a successful Columbia University linguistics professor happily married with three grown children, struggles to maintain her mind after being diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s.
Available May 19th
All the Wilderness
James (Kodi Smit-McPhee) has shut himself off from his surroundings, falling into a world of imagination and darkness. Visits with his psychiatrist have proven unhelpful - though he takes a liking to fellow patient, Val. As James begins to rebel against his single mother, he ventures into the night where he meets a mysterious kid who welcomes him into an eccentric city. Relationships are put to the test as James navigates unfamiliar territory, wrestling with the reality of his own personal wilderness.
- Starring: Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller
- U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle is sent to Iraq with only one mission: to protect his brothers-in-arms. His pinpoint accuracy saves countless lives on the battlefield and, as stories of his courageous exploits spread, he earns the nickname “Legend.” However, his reputation is also growing behind enemy lines, putting a price on his head and making him a prime target of insurgents. He is also facing a different kind of battle on the home front: striving to be a good husband and father from halfway around the world. Despite the danger, as well as the toll on his family at home, Chris serves through four harrowing tours of duty in Iraq, personifying the SEAL creed to “leave no man behind.” But upon returning to his wife, Taya Renae Kyle (Sienna Miller), and kids, Chris finds that it is the war he can't leave behind.
Call the Midwife - Season 4
- Starring: Jenny Agutter, Vanessa Redgrave, Pam Ferris
- Jenny Lee (Jessica Raine) continues in her job as a midwife at Nonnatus House in London's East End in this BBC drama.
- Starring: Assa Sylla, Diabate Idrissa, Karidja Touré,Lindsay Karamoh, Marietou Toure
- Fed up with her abusive family situation, lack of school prospects and the “boys’ law” in the neighborhood, Marieme starts a new life after meeting a group of three free-spirited girls. She changes her name, her style, drops out of school and starts stealing to be accepted into the gang. When her home situation becomes unbearable, Marieme seeks solace in an older man who promises her money and protection. Realizing this sort of lifestyle will never result in the freedom and independence she truly desires, she finally decides to take matters into her own hands.
- Starring: Adam Scott, Clark Duke, Craig Robinson, Rob Corddry
- When Lou, who has become the "father of the Internet," is shot by an unknown assailant, Jacob and Nick fire up the time machine again to save their friend.
- Starring: Michael Harney, Laura Prepon, Kate Mulgrew
- Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling) is sent to prison after being caught with a suitcase of a drug dealer's money in this drama based on the memoir by Piper Kerman.
- Starring: Elijah Kelley, Evan Rachel Wood, Kristin Chenoweth, Maya Rudolph
- Popular songs from the past six decades help tell the tale of a colorful cast of goblins, elves, fairies and imps, and their hilarious misadventures sparked by the battle over a powerful potion.
Available May 26th
The Boy Next Door
- Starring: Jennifer Lopez, John Corbett, Kristin Chenoweth,Ryan Guzman
- A divorced woman's affair with her teenage neighbor takes an obsessive, dangerous turn.
Dwayne McLaren (Liam Hemsworth) dreams about escaping small town life in Cut Bank, Montana, “the coldest spot in the nation,” with his vivacious girlfriend Cassandra (Teresa Palmer). When Dwayne witnesses an awful crime, he tries to leverage a bad situation into a scheme to get rich quickly but he finds that fate and an unruly accomplice are working against him. Thrust into the middle of a police investigation spearheaded by the local sheriff (John Malkovich), everything goes from bad to worse in this all-American thriller.
Available June 2nd
- Starring: Ben Mendelsohn, David Threlfall, Jude Law,Scoot McNairy
- A rogue submarine captain (Jude Law) pulls together a misfit crew to go after a sunken treasure rumored to be lost in the depths of the Black Sea. As greed and desperation take control onboard their claustrophobic vessel, the increasing uncertainty of the mission causes the men to turn on each other to fight for their own survival.
- Starring: Margot Robbie, Rodrigo Santoro, Will Smith
- Nicky (Will Smith) is a seasoned master of misdirection who becomes romantically involved with novice con artist Jess (Margot Robbie). As he’s teaching her the tricks of the trade, she gets too close for comfort and he abruptly breaks it off. Three years later, the former flame—now an accomplished femme fatale—shows up in Buenos Aires in the middle of the high stakes racecar circuit. In the midst of Nicky’s latest, very dangerous scheme, she throws his plans for a loop…and the consummate con man off his game.
- Starring: Channing Tatum, Eddie Redmayne, Mila Kunis
- Jupiter Jones was born under a night sky, with signs predicting that she was destined for great things. Now grown, Jupiter dreams of the stars but wakes up to the cold reality of a job cleaning other people’s houses and an endless run of bad breaks. Only when Caine, a genetically engineered ex-military hunter, arrives on Earth to track her down does Jupiter begin to glimpse the fate that has been waiting for her all along—her genetic signature marks her as next in line for an extraordinary inheritance that could alter the balance of the cosmos.
The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
- Starring: Antonio Banderas, Bill Fagerbakke, Clancy Brown, Rodger Bumpass, Tom Kenny
- SpongeBob goes on a quest to recover a stolen recipe that takes him to our world, where he tangles with a pirate.
Available June 9th
- Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Lee-Hom Wang, Viola Davis,Wei Tang
- Set within the world of global cybercrime, Blackhat follows a furloughed convict (Chris Hemsworth) and his American and Chinese partners as they hunt a high-level cybercrime network from Chicago to Los Angeles to Hong Kong to Jakarta.
- Starring: Allison Janney, Bella Thorne, Mae Whitman,Robbie Amell
- Bianca (Mae Whitman) is a content high school senior whose world is shattered when she learns the student body knows her as The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) to her prettier, more popular friends (Skyler Samuels & Bianca Santos). Now, despite the words of caution from her favorite teacher (Ken Jeong), she puts aside the potential distraction of her crush, Toby (Nick Eversman), and enlists Wesley (Robbie Amell), a slick but charming jock, to help reinvent herself. To save her senior year from turning into a total disaster, Bianca must find the confidence to overthrow the school's ruthless label maker Madison (Bella Thorne) and remind everyone that no matter what people look or act like, we are all someone's DUFF.
Kingsman: The Secret Service
- Starring: Colin Firth, Michael Caine, Samuel L. Jackson,Taron Egerton
- A veteran spy (Colin Firth) of a super-secret organization recruits an unrefined but promising street kid (Taron Egerton) into the agency’s ultra-competitive training program just as a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.
- Starring: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence
- In the North Carolina mountains at the end of the 1920s, George (Bradley Cooper) and Serena Pemberton (Jennifer Lawrence), love-struck newly-weds, begin to build a timber empire. Serena soon proves herself to be equal to any man: overseeing loggers, hunting rattle-snakes, even saving a man’s life in the wilderness. With power and influence now in their hands, the Pembertons refuse to let anyone stand in the way of their inflated love and ambitions. However, once Serena discovers George’s hidden past and faces an unchangeable fate of her own, the Pemberton’s passionate marriage begins to unravel leading toward a dramatic reckoning.
Available June 16th
- Starring: Anri Du Toit, Dev Patel, Hugh Jackman, Sharlto Copley, Sigourney Weaver
- In the near future, crime is patrolled by an oppressive mechanized police force. But now, the people are fighting back. When one police droid, Chappie, is stolen and given new programming, he becomes the first robot with the ability to think and feel for himself. As powerful, destructive forces start to see Chappie as a danger to mankind and order, they will stop at nothing to maintain the status quo and ensure that Chappie is the last of his kind.
The Lazarus Effect
- Starring: Evan Peters, Mark Duplass, Olivia Wilde, Sarah Bolger
- Frank (Mark Duplass) and his fiancée Zoe (Olivia Wilde) have achieved the unimaginable—bringing the dead back to life. After a successful, yet unsanctioned, trial on a newly deceased animal, the team is ready to unveil their breakthrough to the world. When the dean of their university learns of their underground experiments, their project is unexpectedly shut down and their materials confiscated. Frank, Zoe and their team (Donald Glover, Sarah Bolger and Evan Peters) take matters into their own hands, launching a rogue attempt to recreate their experiment, during which things go terribly wrong and one of their own, Zoe, is horrifically killed. Fueled by terror and grief, Frank pushes them to do the unthinkable: attempt to resurrect their first human test subject. Initially, the procedure appears a success, but the team soon realizes something is wrong
with Zoe. As her strange new persona reveals itself, the team quickly becomes stuck in a gruesome reality. They are no longer faced with the question of whether they can bring someone back to life, but rather, the wrath of her return.
The Newsroom - Season 3
Starring: Jeff Daniels, Olivia Munn, Sam Waterston, Allison Pill, Jane Fonda, Emily Mortimer
The final season of Aaron Sorkin's much-lauded series dealing with the media.
Playing It Cool
A young man (Chris Evans) disillusioned by love meets a breathtaking young woman (Michelle Monaghan) at a charity dinner by pretending to be a philanthropist. Only one problem: she’s engaged. But he enters into a platonic relationship to be able to keep seeing her.
Run All Night
- Starring: Common, Ed Harris, Joel Kinnaman, Liam Neeson,Vincent D'Onofrio
- Brooklyn mobster and prolific hit man Jimmy Conlon (Liam Neeson), once known as “The Gravedigger,” has seen better days. Longtime best friend of mob boss Shawn Maguire (Ed Harris), Jimmy, now 55, is haunted by the sins of his past—as well as a dogged police detective (Vincent D'Onofrio) who’s been one step behind Jimmy for 30 years. Lately, it seems Jimmy’s only solace can be found at the bottom of a whiskey glass. But when Jimmy’s estranged son, Mike (Joel Kinnaman), becomes a target, Jimmy must make a choice between the crime family he chose and the real family he abandoned long ago. With Mike on the run, Jimmy’s only penance for his past mistakes may be to keep his son from the same fate Jimmy is certain he’ll face himself. Now, with nowhere safe to turn, Jimmy just has one night to figure out exactly where his loyalties lie and to see
if he can finally make things right.
- Starring: Dave Franco, James Marsden, Nick Frost, Tom Wilkinson, Vince Vaughn
- A hard-working small business owner (Vince Vaughn) and his two associates (Tom Wilkinson, Dave Franco) travel to Europe to close the most important deal of their lives. But what began as a routine business trip goes off the rails in every imaginable - and unimaginable - way, including unplanned stops at a massive sex fetish event and a global economic summit.
Available June 23rd
- Starring: Eric Stonestreet, Isabel Lucas, James Marsden,Karl Urban, Matthias Schoenaerts, Wentworth Miller
- Five married friends conspire to secretly share a penthouse loft in the city—a place where they can carry out hidden affairs and indulge in their deepest fantasies. But the fantasy becomes a nightmare when they discover the dead body of an unknown woman in the loft, and they realize one of the group must be involved. Paranoia seizes them as everyone begins to suspect one another. Friendships are tested, loyalties are questioned and marriages crumble as the group is consumed by fear, suspicion and murder.
- Starring: Alicia Vikander, Ben Barnes, Jeff Bridges,Julianne Moore
- In a time long past, an evil is about to be unleashed that will reignite the war between supernatural forces and humankind. Master Gregory (Jeff Bridges), the last of the Falcon Knights, had imprisoned the malevolently powerful witch, Mother Malkin (Julianne Moore), many years ago, but now she has escaped and is seeking vengeance. Summoning her followers of every incarnation, Mother Malkin is preparing to unleash her terrible wrath on an unsuspecting world. Only one thing stands in her way: Master Gregory. In a deadly reunion, Gregory comes face to face with the evil he always feared would someday return. He has only until the next full moon to do what usually takes years: train his new apprentice, Tom Ward (Ben Barnes) to fight a dark magic unlike any other. Man's only hope lies in the seventh son of a seventh son.
Available June 30th
House of Cards - Season 3
Starring: Robin Wright, Kevin Spacey
The third season of the acclaimed Netflix drama find Frank and Claire in the White House.
Available July 7th
Kill Me Three Times
- Starring: Alice Braga, Luke Hemsworth, Simon Pegg,Sullivan Stapleton, Teresa Palmer
- A mercurial assassin (Simon Pegg) discovers he isn't the only person trying to kill the siren (Alice Braga) of a sun-drenched surfing town. In this darkly comedic thriller, the hitman finds himself unravelling three tales of mayhem, murder, blackmail and revenge.
Woman in Gold
- Starring: Charles Dance, Daniel Brühl, Elizabeth McGovern, Helen Mirren, Jonathan Pryce, Katie Holmes, Max Irons, Ryan Reynolds, Tatiana Maslany
- Sixty years after she fled Vienna during World War II, an elderly Jewish woman, Maria Altmann (Helen Mirren), starts her journey to retrieve family possessions seized by the Nazis, among them Klimt's famous painting 'The Lady in Gold'. Together with her inexperienced but plucky young lawyer Randy Schoenberg (Ryan Reynolds), she embarks upon a major battle which takes them all the way to the heart of the Austrian establishment and the U.S. Supreme Court, and forces her to confront difficult truths about the past along the way.
Available July 14th
Goodbye To All That
- Starring: Amy Sedaris, Anna Camp, Heather Graham,Melanie Lynskey, Paul Schneider
- When his wife unexpectedly informs him that she wants a divorce, well-meaning but oblivious husband Otto Wall (Paul Schneider) finds himself thrust back into bachelorhood. Cue a hilarious sequence of romantic encounters—from reconnecting with a former crush to online dating—as Otto searches for the real thing amidst a string of one night stands.
- Starring: Bailey Spry, Daniel Zovatto, Jake Weary, Keir Gilchrist, Linda Boston, Maika Monroe, Ruby Harris
- For 19-year-old Jay (Maika Monroe), fall should be about school, boys and weekends out at the lake. But after a seemingly innocent sexual encounter, she finds herself plagued by strange visions and the inescapable sense that someone, or something, is following her. Faced with this burden, Jay and her teenage friends must find a way to escape the horrors that seem to be only a few steps behind.
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- Starring: Bill Nighy, Celia Imrie, David Strathairn, Dev Patel,Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Penelope Wilton, Richard Gere
- Now that The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is full up with its long-term residents, co-managers Muriel Donnelly (Maggie Smith) and Sonny Kapoor (Dev Patel) have a dream of expansion, and they’ve found just the place: The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. With plans underway, Evelyn and Douglas (Judi Dench and Bill Nighy) venture into the Jaipur workforce, wondering where their regular breakfast dates will lead. Meanwhile, Norman and Carol (Ronald Pickup and Diana Hardcastle) navigate the swirling waters of an exclusive relationship, as Madge (Celia Imrie) juggles two very eligible suitors, and recent arrival Guy Chambers (Richard Gere) finds a muse in Sonny’s mother, Mrs. Kapoor (Lillete Dubey) for his next novel. As his marriage to Sunaina (Tina Desai), the love of his life, quickly approaches, Sonny finds his plans for the new hotel making more claims
on his time than he has available. Perhaps the only one who may know the answers is Muriel, the keeper of everyone’s secrets. As the big day nears, family and guests alike find themselves swept up in the irresistible intoxication of an Indian wedding.
Available July 21st
Starring: Robert Duvall, James Franco, Josh Hartnett
Texas Ranger Samantha Payne reopens a 15-year-old missing person case, and uncovers evidence that suggests that the boy was likely murdered on a ranch belonging to wealthy family man, Scott Briggs. When Scott s estranged son unexpectedly returns home during the investigation, Samantha becomes even more convinced that the Briggs family was involved, and will stop at nothing to discover the truth about the boy s death - even putting her own life in jeopardy.
Available July 28th
- Starring: Al Pacino, Annette Bening, Bobby Cannavale,Christopher Plummer, Jennifer Garner
- Aging 1970s rocker Danny Collins (Al Pacino) can't give up his hard-living ways. But when his manager (Christopher Plummer) uncovers a 40 year-old undelivered letter written to him by John Lennon, he decides to change course and embarks on a heartfelt journey to rediscover his family, find true love and begin a second act.
- Starring: Idris Elba, Javier Bardem, Mark Rylance, Ray Winstone, Sean Penn
- An international spy (Sean Penn) must clear his name in order to save himself from the organization that he used to work for.
This web site is a real find for film buffs. You can find the name of that film you can't quite remember by searching by actor(s) or even by partial title. You can cross-reference by clicking on the actor in the cast list and find a list of all of his movies. Also listed (besides cast) are writers, directors and crew. TV shows are in the database as well. So, last week when I watched an episode of "House" and recognized 2 actors but couldn't remember from where (!) I was able to search (by season and episode list) and find the answers which would normally have either kept me up or come to me in a flash at 2 a.m. Give it a try. [Link] www.imdb.com.